Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i was talkng to one of my friends and he told me that i would be able to engage vtec with my shift light, does anyone konw about this ?????
:confused

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
yeah, if you wire up your Solenoid with your shift light. Its actually how some people that put a VTEC motor or VTEC of any kind in there car do it the cheap way. Instead of doing it through the ECU, instant VTEC Controller.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm so it would also act as a vtec "controller" because my autometer has the thing where you can set at what rpm your shift light comes on. how would i exactly do this?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Well you would take the wire that goes from your solenoid to your ecu, the line that gets juice when you hit a certain RPM, and splice it into the shift light wire. And adjust the light to come on when you want VTEC to come on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why would you want to do this? When VTEC "turns on" (as you put it) the computer engages some mechanical solenoids that causes a cam profile more suited for the higer rpm range to be used. (it is quite clever the way it does it, I encourage you to read up on it)

The computer knows when to start using the different cam profile far better than you ever could.

I would suggest you let the computer keep control of that.

Plus, I doubt it is even possible and someone was just pulling your leg.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
hondahubby said:
Why would you want to do this? When VTEC "turns on" (as you put it) the computer engages some mechanical solenoids that causes a cam profile more suited for the higer rpm range to be used. (it is quite clever the way it does it, I encourage you to read up on it)

The computer knows when to start using the different cam profile far better than you ever could.

I would suggest you let the computer keep control of that.

Plus, I doubt it is even possible and someone was just pulling your leg.
It is absolutely possible. Just as it is possible to put VTEC on a WOT switch (like nitrous). There is nothing stopping you from controlling VTEC engagement by whatever means you want, as long as you understand where voltage needs to be applied.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nathan123 said:
It is absolutely possible. Just as it is possible to put VTEC on a WOT switch (like nitrous).
Ok, I will go with that.

However, I am still wondering why someone would want to do this? Just because they are at WOT doesn't mean they are at the right RPM's to use the high rpm cam profile.

I would still say that the computer is much more capable of knowing when to use the different cam profile.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Hondahubby, He asked if it could be done..I told him. Maybe he wants VTEC lower, maybe he wants VTEC higher. Its not my business if he wants to, and that whole big spiel about how VTEC works...everyone knows. It isn't some divine info that only a few know about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BurntRubber87 said:
Hondahubby, He asked if it could be done..I told him. Maybe he wants VTEC lower, maybe he wants VTEC higher. Its not my business if he wants to, and that whole big spiel about how VTEC works...everyone knows. It isn't some divine info that only a few know about.
That's cool. I was unaware that it could be done as well and I was just curious as to why someone would want to do it. Snoopy's post clarified it for me with his last post that suggested you would want to do it if you had an aftermarket cam. That makes perfect sense.

As far as everyone knowing how VTEC works I will have to disagree with you there. Sometimes I get the impression that some people think it just magically creates horespower. You may be surprised about the number of people that don't really have a clue what it is or how it works.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the reason i asked this question is becaues i have a d16z6 but with no vtec,
i have my stock p06 ecu and i cant find a p28 for a decent price, so if i were to do this i would have vtec, my swap is all done the only missing part is the vtec,i was also told i could do it with a vtec controller but right now im on a tight budget and will do the cheapest way out even if it takes to get a p06 does anyone know where i can get one for cheap???

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
weewoo said:
the reason i asked this question is becaues i have a d16z6 but with no vtec,
i have my stock p06 ecu and i cant find a p28 for a decent price, so if i were to do this i would have vtec, my swap is all done the only missing part is the vtec,i was also told i could do it with a vtec controller but right now im on a tight budget and will do the cheapest way out even if it takes to get a p06 does anyone know where i can get one for cheap???
i suggest waiting for a good price on a p28 so you can get the most power out of ur EX motor. using a non vtec ecu is not the way to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.