Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a DC header and a new catalytic converter on my 00SI. When driving today, I didn't hear VTEC, could this be due in part to the new catalytic converter? I am not throwing a CEL and if vtec had failed on an obd2 system, would I not be seeing a CEL?

Thanks!
Brian

·
Registered
753 Posts
00civicsiboy said:
I recently installed a DC header and a new catalytic converter on my 00SI. When driving today, I didn't hear VTEC, could this be due in part to the new catalytic converter? I am not throwing a CEL and if vtec had failed on an obd2 system, would I not be seeing a CEL?
I know this is the obvious, but was your engine warmed up before you revved through a gear?

·
Registered
419 Posts
you should wire in a small light to somewhere on your dash, that way you can tell that vtec is activated. That is what I did, beause I was wondering the same thing as you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have also figured out that I am burning oil somehow..I bought this car from a guy and it looks like he was spraying a dry shot of nitrous. Could I be burning oil due to the piston rings being shot to hell?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Are you sure youre not throwing a check engine light. If you bought it from some guy that was probably spraying mabye he could have removed the bulb for you check engine light aswell. Does the check in light come on when you turn the key 2x before start up? VTEC not working and burning of oil sounds like it could be a solenoid problem but then you should be throwing a ECU code if your solenoid is defective. Check to make sure your check engine light is even working first then let us know and we go from there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I cleaned out the screen on the solenoid and it was dirty....

I still have an oil leak so I am thinking my piston rings might be shot and if that is the case, I dont have the income to fix the problem... Vtec now engages but I am pretty sure I sm burning the oil through the piston rings....

Any ideas?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not starting to believe I am burning oil in the bottom end somewhere. I am adding a quart every week. I am thinking I need new pistons due to the fact that I think the car had nitrous running to it before I bought it. What should I do and what all would I most likely need to replace it?

·
Registered
439 Posts
if you are saying that oil is getting past the rings, it should be smoking a lot. i forgot what color it should be but i think it should be white, coming out of the exhaust. I would eventually or look into getting pistons since the guy you bought it from was running nitrous

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would just getting pistons be a smart move? I was told to rebuild the bottom end...

VTEC is now not working again....Could this be due to the rings or something else? Vtec solenoid? oil pressure?

·
Registered
439 Posts
yea sorry i forgot to mention just to rebuild the bottom end after the last post i left. Might as well since you gonna have the bottom end out. If the rings are bad then that must mean that you got no pressure, which can also cause the engine to run bad or run on less cylinders. You can try a compression test to see if all 4 cylinders are good. Once you get the numbers, get back to us. And about the leak you might have, check around the oil pan gasket, what i do is clean around the oil pan area then run the car for a half a day or a day, and then i would check the pan if any oil came out of the gasket area of the pan. You can also do this for the valve cover too.

·
Registered
419 Posts
not just oil pressure, there are several parameters that must be satisfied before VTEC will engauge. But with the sound of things, I'm sure it's an oil pressure problem if you have to keep adding oil.

sounds like your rings might be gone for sure. and in the end to fix, you'll need to tear apart your bottom end. You should just upgrade parts if your going to do that in the first place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.