Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to drive a 1990 Integra. I loved the car and loved the b18a engine inside of it. Why is it so many people sleep on the b18a/b engine? What about the b20 thats so popular now? It seems to be nothing more than a b18 on steroids. I now own a 1997 civic DX of course the engine has got to go,but what engine is gonna do it for me? How much do these cars weigh? Why is the b16 such a popular choice among civic owners. Yeah I've been spanked by a few,but I also spanked a few. You can tell I've never driven a VTEC equipped car.(S2000 but that dosent count) If the LS/VTEC is unreliable why build it? Why not just go b18c? Dont get me wrong here I'm not knocking it I just wanna no what all the hype is about. Is VTEC worth it?

· Registered
20,271 Posts
1slowcivic said:
there is a B20b swap around here into a 98 dx. he ran a 15 something and he said that he loves it. you don't really need the vtec. just spray it. i think hes around the cincy tuners forum.
b20 swap only 15's? is that nonvtec b20? is it in a civic or integra?

· Registered
806 Posts
vtec doesn't matter with boost:D thats why i want to swap in a b18b and turbo it. but i'd probably eventually get a gsr block fully built to boost crazy amounts.

and i think the b20 swap wasn't a crvtec, just the b20 the way it is.

· Registered
209 Posts
H22 gets u in the high 13's and low 14's stock in a HB.

· Registered
1,336 Posts
i see why tuan always get piss off in the civic forum :) full of people giving opinion "in a tech question" and false information :)

· Registered
209 Posts
No, Its not false. I have seen it myself. Just ask the people at Jitsatsu. 832-351-2783 or 832-351-2786

· Registered
83 Posts
B20 in the 15's

Man that sux.. I think that a DOHC motor should run alot better than that... If you ask me... Vtec is well worth it.. Buddy of mine has a DX, run a 17 in the 1/4, I ran a 15.9 on stock motor with intake and exhaust... SOHC.. cmon if you ask me VTEC is well worth it, give you teh added power in the high side of the rpm range..

LSvtex, CRvtec, good all around, lowend torque with the high revving of the vtec.. cant beat it.. now there are shops out there who specialize in LS/vtec, or crvtec... i am hooked up with a guy in Cali, who i have gotten 3 motors for buddies of mine.... and they have had no problems... I can get you an LS vtec motor, longblock form oilpan up.. includes intake and exhast manifolds for 1200.. email me if interested

[email protected]

Laters

· Registered
432 Posts
"VTEC

VTEC is one of Honda's greatest invention. Though an undisputed expert in turbocharging as evidenced by years of Formula-1 domination while Honda was active in the sport, Honda's engineers feel that turbocharging has disadvantages, primarily bad fuel economy, that made it not totally suitable for street use. At the same time, the advantages of working with smaller engines meant that smaller capacity engines with as high power output as possible (ie very high specific-output engines) are desirable for street engines.

Thus Honda invented VTEC which allows it to extract turbo level specific output from its engines without having to suffer from the disadvantages of turbocharging (though VTEC introduces disadvantages of its own). "

· Registered
432 Posts
did that help out...? just some stuff I picked up on the net. I've got so much HONDA crap on my cpu it's scary. want more:

The Basic VTEC Mechanism

The basic mechanism used by the VTEC technology is a simple hydraulically actuated pin. This pin is hydraulically pushed horizontally to link up adjacent rocker arms. A spring mechanism is used to return the pin back to its original position.

To start on the basic principle, examine the simple diagram below. It comprises a camshaft with two cam-lobes side-by-side. These lobes drives two side-by-side valve rocker arms.

The two cam/rocker pairs operates independently of each other. One of the two cam-lobes are intentionally drawn to be different. The one on the left has a "wilder" profile, it will open its valve earlier, open it more, and close it later, compared to the one on the right. Under normal operation, each pair of cam-lobe/rocker-arm assembly will work independently of each other.

VTEC uses the pin actuation mechanism to link the mild-cam rocker arm to the wild-cam rocker arm. This effectively makes the two rocker arms operate as one. This "composite" rocker arm(s) now clearly follows the wild-cam profile of the left rocker arm. This in essence is the basic working principle of all of Honda's VTEC engines."

· Registered
2,222 Posts
HAMBURNA said:
I used to drive a 1990 Integra. I loved the car and loved the b18a engine inside of it. Why is it so many people sleep on the b18a/b engine? What about the b20 thats so popular now? It seems to be nothing more than a b18 on steroids. I now own a 1997 civic DX of course the engine has got to go,but what engine is gonna do it for me? How much do these cars weigh? Why is the b16 such a popular choice among civic owners. Yeah I've been spanked by a few,but I also spanked a few. You can tell I've never driven a VTEC equipped car.(S2000 but that dosent count) If the LS/VTEC is unreliable why build it? Why not just go b18c? Dont get me wrong here I'm not knocking it I just wanna no what all the hype is about. Is VTEC worth it?
get a b18c longblock w/a b16 tranny.

· Registered
1,336 Posts
CivicNOS1 said:
"VTEC

VTEC is one of Honda's greatest invention. Though an undisputed expert in turbocharging as evidenced by years of Formula-1 domination while Honda was active in the sport, Honda's engineers feel that turbocharging has disadvantages, primarily bad fuel economy, that made it not totally suitable for street use. At the same time, the advantages of working with smaller engines meant that smaller capacity engines with as high power output as possible (ie very high specific-output engines) are desirable for street engines.

Thus Honda invented VTEC which allows it to extract turbo level specific output from its engines without having to suffer from the disadvantages of turbocharging (though VTEC introduces disadvantages of its own). "
actually vvt been around long before v-tech :)

· Registered
432 Posts

· Registered
660 Posts
the b16a on the integra has 160hp, the b16b which is found in civic 98+ type-r has 185hp, both are vtec. vtec which is Variable valve timing and lift electronic control, which means that it gives smaller engines such as the civic a little bit more power. vtec is good to have don't listen if people tell it's bad cause it's not, i got vtec and i love it. when you driving and the vtec kicks in you'll love it to.

· Registered
226 Posts
i don't know what you mean by "why is it so many people sleep on the b18a/b engine" so clarify that up a a little. do you mean, why do people build sleepers out of them or why do people not care about them...

the b20 now is, in all reality, just a b18 on steriods, you're right. it's a b18 stroked out to be a 2liter. why do so many people want the motor, because it has what so many honda motors lack, torque.

a dx coupe or hb should weigh in around 2200-2400, i'm sure someone else could give you a lot more accurate number or you could even find it somewhere else on this board.

the b16 is such a popular motor because it has such a great aftermarket following. you can find items for this engine anywhere. why would anyone choose the b16 over the b18c, most likely because the b16 is around a thousand dollars cheaper at some places. they're still both really good motors.

the lsvtec is only unreliable because so many people don't go through the entire process of building it up correctly. in a swap like this, minor details play an important role. it's said that for every ten lvtec's only one of them is done right. the lsvtec in idea form is great and reliable, but when you throw together a group of guys who either doesn't know much about it or does it half assed, what you get is an unreliable motor. so if you get the right people and take time with the swap and do it right the first time, the motor will last, it'll last and make tons of power.

the reason why people choose the ls motor over the gsr motor is simply because it has a little bit more torque. why that's important, read one of my earlier paragraphs.

and yes, vtec is really worth it. under boost or not, the vtec motor will make more power if tuned. someone earlier stated that having vtec doesn't matter once you go boost, that's not true. under boost, a vtec motor will actually help you make more power. the only thing is that most people don't take the time/money to tune their motor for the minor nuisances of having vtec. but in the end, if you're gonna boost a motor, you're gonna want to tune it, so take a little more time and a little more money and tune it with vtec, you won't be disappointed.

hope that answers all your questions. sorry the post was long. post back if you have any more q's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.