Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retired *********
4,663 Posts
Looks pimp, however, $4,500 is a lot for 'all show and no go'. Reminds me of the Honda 'performance' packages they had for the Civic and RSX.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The look is growing on me(I'm not much of a VW fan in the first place). The big front brake air ducts are a nice touch, if functional. I'm still not sold on the new grill paradigm of Audi/VW, but at least it's different. Is it all worth, $4500? :td

·
Registered
974 Posts
4500 is a lot, but if you figure the rims would cost at least 1500, then the tires another 800 or so, 800 for leather, and 2 psp's cost 400, 1000 dollars for an oem painted and installed lip kit with custom painted front and back isnt that bad.

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
I'd keep the money spent on a vw and the performance package, and go buy something better...but thats just me

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
crucifudge said:
4500 is a lot, but if you figure the rims would cost at least 1500, then the tires another 800 or so, 800 for leather, and 2 psp's cost 400, 1000 dollars for an oem painted and installed lip kit with custom painted front and back isnt that bad.
exactly plus the exhuast tips , im guessing thier tips beacause they said no performance was added

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
not bad considering everythings factory finish and is probably fully warrantied, also it does something, suspension package???? Hello?????What looks like upgraded brakes???? Hello????

·
Registered
201 Posts
Peteex said:
not bad considering everythings factory finish and is probably fully warrantied, also it does something, suspension package???? Hello?????What looks like upgraded brakes???? Hello????
I don't believe the suspension or the brakes or the 19" alloys are part of the package. If you read the article, the package is purely appearance. The wheels that will be offered will be 18", not the 19" shown in the photo, which is of the concept Passat R GT ...

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — A Volkswagen Passat aerodynamic appearance package will be offered this fall, the company has announced. It's based on the R GT concept vehicle shown at the 2005 Special Equipment Market Association's (SEMA) show last November, and will be a $4,500 option. Customers will also be able to purchase the components à la carte at all VW dealerships.

The appearance package creates a "racy and aggressive" look for the Passat, VW said, with front and rear skirts with color-contrasting elements, a honeycomb-design grille, a side sill kit, an integrated tailgate lip, oval-shaped tailpipe trim and 18-inch titanium-colored alloy wheels with 18-inch high-performance Pirelli summer tires.

The Passat R GT concept and appearance package are the result of VW's Moonraker project, a team of employees who generate vehicles and options designed for the U.S. market.
Passat R GT
Like the Touareg, the Passat concept uses twin turbos to generate over 500 hp from just 3.2 liters. It features all the same engine upgrades as the Touareg but the power is sent through a recalibrated DSG transmission instead of the Touareg's six-speed automatic.

Exterior changes include a revised front fascia with a unique grille treatment and cleanly integrated air intakes for the turbos. The car sits lower than stock on an adjustable coil-over suspension and rides on custom-made 19-inch Avus wheels. The rear end has a small trunk lid spoiler, grayed-out lower section and integrated exhaust tips. The base paint is a stock shade of white highlighted by a gray ghost stripe that runs the length of the car. The interior wears the same white paint as the exterior and features a matching set of white iPods between the seats.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
05 tC said:
Looks pimp, however, $4,500 is a lot for 'all show and no go'. Reminds me of the Honda 'performance' packages they had for the Civic and RSX.
the honda ones had upgraded suspensions though. :p

what bothers me most about it, is VW went out of their way to impugn 'all show & no go' w/ their GTi ads. then they make a package called the R GT (which i can only presume stands for Racing Grand Tourer) which adds no performance, just aesthetics. :confused

anyway, here are some pics of the actual final version of the package. only pics i could find during 1st post was of the prototype.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The production version looks awful...but I guess that's to be expected. The grill isn't the nicer mesh of the concept and the rear bumper is just hideous, stupid even. $4500... :rolleyes

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It looks like someone at VW was watching too much Pimp my Ride, which is ironic because they were unpimping all those rides on those GTI ads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts