Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now im begging for more handling...too much body roll for me...Right now its just slammed on some cheap springs(arospeed) and have a front upper and rear upper strut bar...Im in the process of pry get a rear lower...and maybe a "U" Bar up front, anyone heard of these or have them? Also Omni Rear Lower Control Arms...I know eventually im goin to get some nice coilovers but pry not till late spring when i get my brembos on...i just wanna add whatever i can now...thanks

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
how much do you want to spend and what do you expect from it?
is it gonna be autoxed? street driven?

Reactions: 99civ

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
street driven, i may do a couple auto x's this summer but dont plan on it too much...I just want the quick response when turning, not the loose feeling, or wobble/body roll...

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have that "u" bar on my car, Tanabe front lower brace. I would get the tanabe front brace if I were you. I wouldn't get the Omni Power LCA's, I also have them, but they do nothing for handling.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If all you're doing with the car is the occasional auto-x I don't think you need any lower bars or the lca's, from my experience they don't do much for handling anyway. I would start with (1) getting rid of the cheap coilovers. You can get inexpensive parts without getting cheap stuff so there's no reason to have crap parts on your car. (2) Next, or better yet at the same time, get some quality coilovers springs (or just sport springs if you want to save money) and some good adjustable shocks. I'd go with Tokico Illuminas, Koni Yellows, or Bilsteins. I've been happy with the performance of all of those. (3) Suspension Techniques anti-sway bars, I swear by these.

Oh, and you didn't say what wheels/tires you're on. If you're still on factory rubber that should actually be the first thing you upgrade. It won't help much with the sloppy feel of the suspension, but it will make turn-in much more precise and probably make the biggest difference in terms of handling. I'd go with either 15 or 16inch wheels (there are plenty of OEM wheels out there for pretty cheap) and whatever tires you want.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I KNOW I KNOW!
and for reals, i realy do know.
cause i was in the same boat you are in, cept my springs werent cheapos.
ok, one word for you- AFTERMARKET GAS STRUTS...wait...ok thats 3 words but whatever.
ok so i have had these cheap "dropzone" gas shocks laying in my garage 4ever and finally got them installed the other day and like im talkin WOW i knew it would kelp going over bumps and shit and around corners its like on rails. and these are cheap ebay struts i have, not teins, not something expensive, they cost me 150 for all 4. so get some new struts, some gas ones. if u can afford some nice teins then go for that. but ijust have dropzones which are nice but cheap and they feel pretty damn good.
STRUTS.
:number1

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
If you are going to be doing autox I recommend Omnipower Sport Full Coilover system. THey are cheap for full coilovers and peform VERY well.

That...sway bars, rear lower tie, and a sturdy front tower brace should be nice

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
95si...i got stock wheels on cheap tires, i did have 17s on kumhos and they helped alot and it actually did eliminate some body roll( im guessin wider tires ) so im takin ur advice and im gettin a set of 15" Honda wheels w/ pirelli p700's(205-50-15) this weeekend off a guy for 50 bucks...I Have the cheap springs now and might upgrade soon but just dont have the funds for the omni coilover kit even though it is cheaper than most...im 17(18 in 2 months) and have to make car payments so that doesnt help me any...however, what do you guys think bout the Tein springs(130 on ebay)...Any better than what i got now(arospeed) or save up and get dropzone or skunk 2...?BTW, my g/f is buyin me skunk2 lower rear strut bar for v-day so thats one down for me...btw, you all get reps, thakns guys

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you want to decrease body roll, then the Tein springs are probably not for you. Look into the H&R, many people on this site love them. And shocks are another big thing that you want to get, Koni yellows are pretty much the best adjustable shock available, but KYB AGX are also pretty good. I don't know anyone who has the Tokico or Bilstein shocks, so I can't comment on those. Sway bars are another good upgrade (Comptech rear adjustable sway bar is probably the best, but you can get some cheaper ones that will work well). The rear sway bar is probably going to make one of the biggest differences in handling and coupled with upgraded front sway bar bushings and endlinks (if you have a front sway bar...), you will have a sweet handling ride. Strut/tie bars don't do as much for handling as everything else that I listed, so save up the money you are spending on those to get one of the items I have listed. My $0.02.

·
Registered
276 Posts
99civ said:
95si...i got stock wheels on cheap tires, i did have 17s on kumhos and they helped alot and it actually did eliminate some body roll( im guessin wider tires ) so im takin ur advice and im gettin a set of 15" Honda wheels w/ pirelli p700's(205-50-15) this weeekend off a guy for 50 bucks...I Have the cheap springs now and might upgrade soon but just dont have the funds for the omni coilover kit even though it is cheaper than most...im 17(18 in 2 months) and have to make car payments so that doesnt help me any...however, what do you guys think bout the Tein springs(130 on ebay)...Any better than what i got now(arospeed) or save up and get dropzone or skunk 2...?BTW, my g/f is buyin me skunk2 lower rear strut bar for v-day so thats one down for me...btw, you all get reps, thakns guys
Glad to hear you found some cheap oems wheels, good tires too. I don't know how similar those are to the P7000 Supersports that I used to have but those were amazing in terms of the grip for the price.
If money is a problem, just take it slow, research everything and find a good deal before you buy anything. Tokico makes suspension kits (springs + tokico blue shocks) that you can get for around $350, not a bad deal if you're on a budget. Bad idea if you want adjustability though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sway bar kit F/R will cure the body roll 4 sure. Those springs should do just fine. Energy Suspension is what i have with KYB AGX shocks, lower front tie bar and both uppers. Doing this made me realize that my tires cant handle the upgrades. 205/40/17 Falken ZIEX are what im rollin on and they suck. With the good comes the bad. :rolleyes

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
99civ said:
Right now im begging for more handling...too much body roll for me...Right now its just slammed on some cheap springs(arospeed) and have a front upper and rear upper strut bar...Im in the process of pry get a rear lower...and maybe a "U" Bar up front, anyone heard of these or have them? Also Omni Rear Lower Control Arms...I know eventually im goin to get some nice coilovers but pry not till late spring when i get my brembos on...i just wanna add whatever i can now...thanks
You are going to have a lot of expensive crap on your car and it will still handle like a big wet brick...

"slammed on some cheap springs"... fix it instead of putting more band-aids on it.

- Get a good set of tires
- Get a good set of *SHOCKS* and springs

Now drive the car and get used to it and consider :
- Stock 22mm EX front sway w/urethane sway bar bushings + endlinks works great
- Rear sway like 13mm SI or 22mm comptech unit
- Get a good alignment. This *may* require a camber kit up front to get what you want.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
If body roll is your problem, sway bars and quality stiff springs are the ONLY answer! None of those other parts do anything to really prevent body roll in cornering (strut bars, lca's, shocks...)

If you are an auto-xer then a larger diameter rear bar my suit you (although it seems if you were a racer you wouldn't be asking this...) but for the street a stock rear one a larger front one I've found to be the best combo. Bigger rear one likes to make your back end come around on you.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im in the process of gettin the 15s on pirellis...but what shocks/springs would u prefer...im on a somewhat tight budget...i wish i had money for some jic magics...my buddies integra has the coilovers and has no body roll at all...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
right now the arospeeds are pry a 2 1/2 drop even though, esp in my rear, i couldnt fit 16" konigs w/ nitto 205/55/16 on em...i may get H&Rs, i heard good reviews on eliminating some roll

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
99civ said:
right now the arospeeds are pry a 2 1/2 drop even though, esp in my rear, i couldnt fit 16" konigs w/ nitto 205/55/16 on em...i may get H&Rs, i heard good reviews on eliminating some roll
205/55/16 is not the correct size. you want 205/45/16. I would recommend that you hang out in the suspension forum and read some of the stickies regarding springs, anti-roll bars (aka sway bars), etc. You have to put all of the pieces together right to get the desired result.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts