Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a d16a6 in my 91 si and i wanna remove the governor and be able to hit 8k rpms but... like most people id rather not blow my engine. Nothing added to it like boost or anything just an intake and straight pipe so i wouldnt really be pushing it much farther than what it can handle i think. Im just looking for ways to avoid the worst case and do some major damage. Is a must that i change the valve springs for stronger ones? should I replace the head gasket for a new one? I mean just so the older more worn head gasket doesnt blow? I mean im changing the intake gaskets anyways so why not

· Registered
12,453 Posts
I have a d16a6 in my 91 si and i wanna remove the governor and be able to hit 8k rpms but... like most people id rather not blow my engine. Nothing added to it like boost or anything just an intake and straight pipe so i wouldnt really be pushing it much farther than what it can handle i think. Im just looking for ways to avoid the worst case and do some major damage. Is a must that i change the valve springs for stronger ones? should I replace the head gasket for a new one? I mean just so the older more worn head gasket doesnt blow? I mean im changing the intake gaskets anyways so why not
:hehe

Ok, I'm gonna try to not ride you too hard on this, but

WHY would you remove the Governor? That has stupid written all over it. more revs do not equal more power, thats a myth.

Without boost your D16 will never scream, its a 1.6l SOHC motor. Its a turd. Either swap it or boost it.

And you need to READ and RESEARCH a lot by the sounds of it, I suggest heading over to Honda tech and reading some articles. Also some general engine theory on how they make power, and how to make more of it is never a bad idea.

You have a lot to learn, so before you grab a wrench grab a book! Trust me. I've been in your shoes, and the above post is terrible, I'm just giving you fair warning before anyone else comes in here and starts ripping you apart.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well by scream i mean higher rev as in when u rev higher it gets louder, i know it wouldnt give me more power but having the ability to reach higher RPMs would give me more out of every gear and a higher top end would it not? But anyways its all good man idc if your ripping me apart idc if the whole forum hits me hard Id rather be corrected and criticized than to just be ignored and be thinking something wrong. Im a young guy so i don't have any where near as much experience as the rest of these guys on the forum but as far as reading before picking up the wrench haha you dont have to worry about that. I got the repair manual for my 91 and ive gone from front yo back with that thing. Also like prolly good portion of the people here i love to tinker so ya basically i have a pretty good grasp on the ins and outs of my civ but when it comes to building power im still a nublet =]

· Registered
754 Posts
Well from the above message I would say that was a mild way to say increasing your rpms is a terrible idea. Look at the pics below my post and that is what happens when stock parts exceed the recommended levels. Grant mine was 21-28,000 rpm but you get the idea. Now as for making it louder and screaming......I would say in my opinion that sticking 1,ooo dollars in a motor to make it rev higher and to make it louder is a waste unless your building in steps like build head, build bottom end, rods, pistons......etc. But as mentioned above boosting is really the only way to get power out of d-series. If you want a peaky motor try a B16 but don't try to make a D16 into a B16 N\A motor just doesn't really work. Confused why your wanting to make a car stupidly loud? Have you been pulled over yet, because thats where your headed young gun. I would think long and hard about what you really want out of your car and proceed from there and read\research everything you can. :D

· Registered
1,993 Posts
:hehe

Ok, I'm gonna try to not ride you too hard on this, but

WHY would you remove the Governor? That has stupid written all over it. more revs do not equal more power, thats a myth.

Without boost your D16 will never scream, its a 1.6l SOHC motor. Its a turd. Either swap it or boost it.

And you need to READ and RESEARCH a lot by the sounds of it, I suggest heading over to Honda tech and reading some articles. Also some general engine theory on how they make power, and how to make more of it is never a bad idea.

You have a lot to learn, so before you grab a wrench grab a book! Trust me. I've been in your shoes, and the above post is terrible, I'm just giving you fair warning before anyone else comes in here and starts ripping you apart.
Way to say "ur an idiot" lol

Kev: You gotta research man. He just said making more revs does not mean more power. In simpler terms, a dog will all bark and no bite.

Oh and beware, if you make your D16 "scream" you may suffer the ever popular label as RICER.

· Registered
754 Posts
You forgot fanboy rex

· Registered
37,990 Posts
im guess an 8k rev range would cause the d series to crap out early. and by this i mean even if you could go that high you would need to get a new ECU that could deliver fuel at that range. other wise youd be running lean as fuck on your 8k runs

· Registered
41,903 Posts
the rev limiter is there for a reason. i wouldnt go over it unless you build the motor.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
well by scream i mean higher rev as in when u rev higher it gets louder, i know it wouldnt give me more power but having the ability to reach higher RPMs would give me more out of every gear and a higher top end would it not? But anyways its all good man idc if your ripping me apart idc if the whole forum hits me hard Id rather be corrected and criticized than to just be ignored and be thinking something wrong. Im a young guy so i don't have any where near as much experience as the rest of these guys on the forum but as far as reading before picking up the wrench haha you dont have to worry about that. I got the repair manual for my 91 and ive gone from front yo back with that thing. Also like prolly good portion of the people here i love to tinker so ya basically i have a pretty good grasp on the ins and outs of my civ but when it comes to building power im still a nublet =]
No, this isnt true. You'll make more power with that motor as you rev higher, but to a point. Peak power comes at 5,600-6k on that motor if I'm not mistaken, and after that point, your motor will be losing more power, NOT makeing it. Just look at a dyno chart. You'll see it climbs, then dips after peak power.

I'll give u props for ripping into stuff, but dont do something dumb like trying to rev this thing to 8k for a noise. Just buy B16 if u wanna rev to 8k

· Registered
41,903 Posts
No, this isnt true. You'll make more power with that motor as you rev higher, but to a point. Peak power comes at 5,600-6k on that motor if I'm not mistaken, and after that point, your motor will be losing more power, NOT makeing it. Just look at a dyno chart. You'll see it climbs, then dips after peak power.

I'll give u props for ripping into stuff, but dont do something dumb like trying to rev this thing to 8k for a noise. Just buy B16 if u wanna rev to 8k
This

· Registered
496 Posts
ha...yeah... its never good to red line. thats why on your tach it has red in the area THAT CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ENGINE DAMAGE. dont try and out do hondas tech team, if that engine was meant to rev at 8k it would from factory. and please...no rice...for the sake of humanity...no rice

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well thanks alot everyone for the input :D Ya i don't really have any plans of rebuilding my lil d16 if i could just go the better and easier route w/ a b16 swap. looks like the governor stays on heh.
Ya dont worry i hate the ricer sound just as much as the next person my civic isnt even close to tht coffee can muffler sound haha

· Registered
12,453 Posts
well thanks alot everyone for the input :D Ya i don't really have any plans of rebuilding my lil d16 if i could just go the better and easier route w/ a b16 swap. looks like the governor stays on heh.
Ya dont worry i hate the ricer sound just as much as the next person my civic isnt even close to tht coffee can muffler sound haha
Personally, a b18 would be the route I'd go, but if you want to rev to the moon, you'd want a b16, but the b18 is the better engine.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Ya know, he doesnt have to go B series to have two cams..:ninja

· Registered
1,993 Posts
What, like $900 for a jdm zc that drops right in..Forget V-tec, Non V All day!!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.