Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
no your right. he will also need an obd2 to obd1 conversion harness. here kid let me help you out.

check these guys out.
damn, I was even thinking he needed the conversion harness too, just forgot to type it :ninja haha. Oh well. I only know cus I went through all this a month ago. But have since decided to pay off bills and slowly purchase parts when I find really good deals.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
damn, I was even thinking he needed the conversion harness too, just forgot to type it :ninja haha. Oh well. I only know cus I went through all this a month ago. But have since decided to pay off bills and slowly purchase parts when I find really good deals.
literally man thats the best way to do it. i mean you can pay the 3k for the greddy kit. but when i saw my buddy spend (literally) 569$ to fully boost his d16 and then 155$ for the tune. i was like.... FUCK GREDDY! lol

·
Registered
471 Posts
literally man thats the best way to do it. i mean you can pay the 3k for the greddy kit. but when i saw my buddy spend (literally) 569$ to fully boost his d16 and then 155$ for the tune. i was like.... FUCK GREDDY! lol
lmao, how has his reliablity been? He didn't buy one of those cheap ebay kits did he? Or did he just buy random parts and do a DIY build?

·
Registered
471 Posts
basically a diy build with some decent parts thrown in from great deals he found on his local forum and its been running for 2 years. and has no issues that i know of
What did he hit? Also what turbo did he use? After some research I think I'm gonna use a 14b. I found a mint one for a steal of a price but had no cash. Pretty much brand new with 0 shaft play for $150, but oh well, there will be other deals I'm sure

·
Registered
471 Posts
ya. I recently decided that I'm gonna buy a project 240sx first. Just because my worry is -40 winters, and only having my civic boosted if something goes wrong, im without a car till its fixed. If I have a project car and something goes on it, well I still have my civic as my DD. Once I find a 240 and finish an sr20 swap, then I'll boost the civic. But I'm still looking for turbo parts for my civic. And when I find really good deals, I'll still grab em :ninja

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
That's the best way to go. Slowly buy parts, piece by piece.
that's what i'm doing with my overall build and i've found better deals than being impatient. got a brand new hood for 20 bucks already painted recently when i could've spent 200-300 dollars elsewhere easily. also got my ecu work done and tuned for 200 bucks as opposed to paying near 500 dollars just for enthalpy or jimwolfe. got my shocks and struts for 160 shipped for all four etc. be patient and your build will be nice

·
Registered
471 Posts
ya i was starting to get a little anxious and almost paid far more then I should have like a month ago. Luckily I didn't. I have been looking for parts though. But now I've also been looking for a 240sx, and thats a little higher on the list lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
So through my research I've been reading this and that about the Dseries whether its worth really even touching or not, I've gotten assortment of opinions that fall on either side and a couple in the middle. My question in resposne to the original post would be - is all this info more partial to the d 15 and 16? I have a d17 and pretty much heard its not really after market supported, which is unfortunate cuz I kinda wanted to stick with my original car being its the fisrt thing I've bought without 4wd or less rust than paint haha. Very helpfull post all the same.
Thanks for the time, and hopefull response.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Any D-series is built like a tank.
A D16 makes a great platform. You can buy a D16 engine for cheap now. If your car is your daily driver, consider buying a D16, build it outside of the car, when you're ready to install swap it out with your current engine. I'm sure you could sell that. Might work out pretty well :)!.
IIRC I bought another D16Y7 off of Ebay years ago for about $350 shipped. I'm sure it'll be less now. Check out your local Craigslist too. Might be able to get a salvaged engine.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
So I should stray away from my d17?
not our decision to make man/ it will be more difficult for you but build whatever motor you want man. this shit is about what you want to do what you want make. what power you want to see. not everyone else. if you want to boost a d17 then do it. if you want to build and all motor d17 then do it. just make sure your having fun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ultimately I will be doing my own thing, I agree with you. My last post was just in question to the one jo060 posted. But im trying kick around ideas here and get your opinions to better help my path :) I dunno im startin to think k20. I still don't want to. To the threads! Ha.

Thanks for all

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Ultimately I will be doing my own thing, I agree with you. My last post was just in question to the one jo060 posted. But im trying kick around ideas here and get your opinions to better help my path :) I dunno im startin to think k20. I still don't want to. To the threads! Ha.

Thanks for all
boosting a d17 is just like boosting any other d series. the only major issue is that you actually have to spend mor emoney and alot more time searching for parts because you chose the bastard child of the d series community haha. good motor once boosted though. doesnt hold alot of power stock but does make decent torque numbers.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
You have to think about what your budget is. What do you want to spend. Like said above, it'll be harder to find parts for a D17 which means parts you DO find will be more expensive.
It's all up to you.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts