Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
37,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im really interested in learning to do basic collison repair and paintwork. but i wanna do all this shit DIY style.

we have the compressor at my house and i been thinking for awhile i should go out and buy a spray gun and get ahold of some old fenders/hoods and have at them to learn how to do everything.

well my dad gets this catalog from ATDtools and they have this 9 piece set for $90 in their. that has 3 gravity fed guns and looks to be everything.

ATD Tools, Inc.

does this seem to be like a good set to get to start off with? and also where can i go to learn a bit about painting cars and shit? any help would be cool.

· Registered
260 Posts
YES those do look like some quality spray guns,

as long as there gravity feed, which those are..

thats a sick set though, I would cop it.

Your gunna fall in love with painting, its amazing how easy it is and how much money youll save. :)

PS> GO TO YOUTUBE AND GOOGLE FOR EVERYTHING ELSE....

· Registered
260 Posts
Yea just get a nice compressor, and keep the psi your running while spraying beteween 40-55 psi. ....u want a fine mist, keep your distance, pulse the sprayer ( pulsing the paint on with the trigger is good to get a nice, even coat of paint).
ALWAYS USE PRIMER and dont forget CLEAR COAT

sand sand sand

dont bother with rust

HAVE FUN!!

Be sure to tell everyone you can now paint when u get good, believe me people will come to u to save them money and help u out a little too $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

· Registered
37,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, out compressor works pretty good. although it is rather old. and i know the ULTRA basics of paints. using burst, over lay each spray half way (if that makes sense).

the only thing i gotta figure out is how to sand stuff. im guessing its all gonna be power sanders. but it would be awesome to be able to sand blast shit, but i dont have a huge professional paint booth. the garage is basically that. im just gonna put up plastic to make a makeshift pain booth when i need it.

· Registered
39,372 Posts
you'z gonna paint my car when you get good? :ninja

· Registered
39,372 Posts
for you, ANYTHING!
:love

I saw a really nice diy paint thread at gen5alive.com. let me see if i can find it, it may give you some good ideas and techniques.

· Registered
39,372 Posts

· Registered
39,372 Posts
WTHAT THE FUCK RYAN!

that gen5alaive wont let me see the damn thread unless i post a "hi im so and so" thread. even after i registered.
oh yeah, you remember tsmpickachu (kevin) he is the admin there. he was really strict about having to make an intro and all that before being able to view/post in other areas of the forum. im a mod there, let me see if i can do anything.

the second link that i posted was included in the thread at gen5alive, so that is where he got most of the ideas, you might want to check that one out at least.

· Registered
37,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh yeah, you remember tsmpickachu (kevin) he is the admin there. he was really strict about having to make an intro and all that before being able to view/post in other areas of the forum. im a mod there, let me see if i can do anything.

the second link that i posted was included in the thread at gen5alive, so that is where he got most of the ideas, you might want to check that one out at least.
werd. username = randomhero

· Registered
39,372 Posts

· Registered
260 Posts
yea, out compressor works pretty good. although it is rather old. and i know the ULTRA basics of paints. using burst, over lay each spray half way (if that makes sense).

the only thing i gotta figure out is how to sand stuff. im guessing its all gonna be power sanders. but it would be awesome to be able to sand blast shit, but i dont have a huge professional paint booth. the garage is basically that. im just gonna put up plastic to make a makeshift pain booth when i need it.
Yea dude. SANDING FUCKING SUCKS. thats what makes me wanna not paint lol. But yea your gunna need a nice power sander, and surpisingly you should be able to fine one for 30$ or under, we got a central pneumatic one. AND BE SURE TO GET PLENTY OF GRITS FOR IT.

From super fine, to rough grit.

but dude trust me your gunna wanna get some sheets of sandpaper from home depot, or wherever, and handsand those bitchy stubborn spots, and remember to use your hand to FEEL along the metal as your sanding it, constantly, to make sure your not sanding too deep, as close down to the bare metal as possible, without scratching.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Hey, sorry im so late to the party. I havent been on here in months. Id say make sure your air compressor with keep up the psi at all times. And id make sure there is a water air seprator on the compressor tank. That way you dont get water in your paint.

M

· Registered
10,346 Posts

dont use power tools for sanding. sand with a woodblock covered in sand paper, use a long piece of tape along body lines to maintain it. your hands are the best instruments to feel if its smooth after bodywork.

powertools are usually only good for repainting, not reworking.

this was told to me by a guy im gonna have do my bodywork sometime in the future. your fingertips are much more sensitive then vibrating power sander :lmao

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.