Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Hehe nice reply don't you think. :D

Warming the engine up is important for the internal parts. If the car is outside then definately wait till it's relatively warmed. The car will go smoother and you won't get the initial smoke coming out of the exhaust. Unless I'm in a hurry i always wait till idle (when needle drops to 1000rpm-ish).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,682 Posts
You can drive your car just fine without warming it up, just don't rev it past 3000 rpm, it will actually warm up quicker that way anyway. All you are really doing when you warm you engine up is heating up the oil in the engine so that it runs smoother (as you know heat will cause the oil move around faster than it would if it were cold). Think of it this way, go get a bottle of cold syrup and pour it, see how slow it flows, then put that same bottle in the microwave and pour it, it will pour out a lot smoother when it's heated up than cold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
151 Proof said:
You can drive your car just fine without warming it up, just don't rev it past 3000 rpm, it will actually warm up quicker that way anyway. All you are really doing when you warm you engine up is heating up the oil in the engine so that it runs smoother (as you know heat will cause the oil move around faster than it would if it were cold). Think of it this way, go get a bottle of cold syrup and pour it, see how slow it flows, then put that same bottle in the microwave and pour it, it will pour out a lot smoother when it's heated up than cold.
Basically warm it up first if its cold outside!!!..:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Hey what about cooling/warming down ? I mean on and off we were told that n/a cars dont need turbo timers, but it's really logical that we should let the engine run a while longer especially after a hot/long drive, to let it cool down a bit with the coolant and fans and engine oil running, I mean just think about it, the engine will be very hot after a long drive and if you just let everything stop there (engine oil,coolant etc) wouldnt that be bad for the engine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
asiancivic said:
Hey what about cooling/warming down ? I mean on and off we were told that n/a cars dont need turbo timers, but it's really logical that we should let the engine run a while longer especially after a hot/long drive, to let it cool down a bit with the coolant and fans and engine oil running, I mean just think about it, the engine will be very hot after a long drive and if you just let everything stop there (engine oil,coolant etc) wouldnt that be bad for the engine?
Only if you wanna waste gas :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
151 Proof said:
You can drive your car just fine without warming it up, just don't rev it past 3000 rpm, it will actually warm up quicker that way anyway. All you are really doing when you warm you engine up is heating up the oil in the engine so that it runs smoother (as you know heat will cause the oil move around faster than it would if it were cold). Think of it this way, go get a bottle of cold syrup and pour it, see how slow it flows, then put that same bottle in the microwave and pour it, it will pour out a lot smoother when it's heated up than cold.
Mmm... microwaved syrup... :laughy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,682 Posts
asiancivic said:
Hey what about cooling/warming down ? I mean on and off we were told that n/a cars dont need turbo timers, but it's really logical that we should let the engine run a while longer especially after a hot/long drive, to let it cool down a bit with the coolant and fans and engine oil running, I mean just think about it, the engine will be very hot after a long drive and if you just let everything stop there (engine oil,coolant etc) wouldnt that be bad for the engine?
You should let it cool down, for like a minute or two but it's not as neccesary as it is on a turboed car because there isn't as much of a heat build up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
if you read in your manual it says to just let it idle for a short amount of time then start driving. If you let it warm up for more than a minute or so, you're just wasting gas. And it's not just to get the oil warm, it's to get it pumping through the engine before you get the RPMs up and get a lot of friction where the oil hasn't coated yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
there is nothing wrong with just starting you car up first thing in the morning and taking off, i mean you really dont need that oil to cycle before you go off grinding parts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
960 Posts
I don't know if anyone has said this yet...but it's always good to let it warm up a little.
:rolleyes: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
I don't care whether it's goor OR bad...I remote start my ride like 15 min before I leave in the morning just so I don't freeze my nuts off!

No really, give it at least 30 sec even when it's warm out just to let the idle drop down. ALWAYS let a car warm up a little
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
151 Proof said:


You should let it cool down, for like a minute or two but it's not as neccesary as it is on a turboed car because there isn't as much of a heat build up.
Buddy... Its not that we let a turboed car stay on after a drive because of heat build up... Its because the tubo spins really really friggin fast, dont quote me but its in the 13 000 rpms range, i dont remember exactly (i know im gonna get a reply tellin me im wrong) So if you were to turn off your car after its going that fast, u loose oil pressure and the oil that was being used on the turbo rod thing (i dont remember the term) to keep it lubricated is no longer there, therefore providing no protection to something thats still spinning really fast... Ill give you credit enought to say that you know what may happen next...
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top