Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I might have tightened my rotors incorrectly as I didn't use a torque wrench. If i go out and loosen the lugs and torque them correctly will that possibly straighten them out??? I have a shimmy vibration and sometimes it get worse as I step on the brake pedal and it shakes the whole front end. At other times, the car doesn't vibrate at all. So I am real confused here. :confused

I have replaced any loose ball joints only to have the car continually vibrate. Rotors may be the only thing left as I had been driving the car fine for a good month and a half as I got the car used and put over 4K on it since I got it.

It may be possibly that the calipers are hanging up on it also. Anyone have any input on the caliper thing and if I just clean them out and drain fluid, might that help????? Doing the rotors appears to be a real B#$ch. :cry :cry :cry

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
go have your wheels balanced.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Badboyzz said:
I think I might have tightened my rotors incorrectly as I didn't use a torque wrench. If i go out and loosen the lugs and torque them correctly will that possibly straighten them out???
will not help if you've been driving like this for weeks. If the vibration is bad when you brake, you have warped rotors and if you have a 5th gen, it is a bitch. plenty of write-ups on this subject in this forum on how to remove the rotor

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UltraMagneticAL said:
go have your wheels balanced.
Thank you captain obvious, but like thats done already, my problem i do not believe is that simple though I wish it was. Excuse the intent of possible sarcasm, but this is extremely frustrating to me right now.

When i just put in the ball joints yesterday I had balanced the tires. And of course the rotors I had bought were the were only 10" and the opnes I had on the car were 11", so i could not use the new rotors and had to put back the old ones. My friends shop didn't have any kind of a jig to cut them on their lathe, they just toss em when they do them.
:mad

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
if ur rotors r warped then ur going to have to get them turned. autozone does it and its not very expensive. a warped rotor is casued from excess water meeting a hot rotor casuing them to warp. if its not to bad get the turned if they r really bad hellp brembo :clap

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
HyperFlow02 said:
if ur rotors r warped then ur going to have to get them turned. autozone does it and its not very expensive. a warped rotor is casued from excess water meeting a hot rotor casuing them to warp. if its not to bad get the turned if they r really bad hellp brembo :clap
Or you could check Ebay and get a decent set of Brembo cross drilled and slotted for a decent price!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try this!!

joeyl said:
you have warped rotors and if you have a 5th gen, it is a bitch. plenty of write-ups on this subject in this forum on how to remove the rotor
Well I have an idea that might work, I am going to try it prior to attempting to remove. I might be able to true them up somewhat on the car. It will be a little tricky but here it goes.

You jack up the car. for both sides. Preferably from the middle with a floor jack. Then you get on a creeper or drag your butt under the car and rotate the wheel. You will need access to see the rotor while it spins when you are rotaing the tire. You will need a screwdriver or some sort of object to touch to the rotor. Spin the tire and pick out the spot on that rotor that pushers out the most towards you. Figure out what lug that lines up with. You then mark it and lower the car. Torque that lug 8 lbs more. Then jack the car up in the air and rotate the tires again. :rolleyes

The worst case is it either trues the rotor up somewhat. Second is that you will have some lugs torqued a little more than the others. If you do it right, it should work. I am going to do this and hope that it helps. Even if it helps a little its better than the bad warp and vibration I have now. :cry
:clap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts