Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
960 Posts
This is usually what people do when they clean the bay:
1. Cover electrical devices (ie distrubtor) *some say its not needed otheres say it is*
2. GENEROSLY spray cleaner on engine. Let sit.
3. Scrub problem areas
4. Rinse with hose. *some say its better to rinse with engine running*
5. Repeat as needed.

· Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kinipela said:
You should clean with a warm engine at the start. Don't use any attachments on your hose, just let the water run out the end of the hose(it will help keep water from being forced in to electrical components.)
thats the thing, i wanna know what to cover up, because its really dirty and i want to be able to take it and soak it with cleaner and then spray the shit out of it with a pressure washer!

· Registered
100 Posts
BoostedRex said:

thats the thing, i wanna know what to cover up, because its really dirty and i want to be able to take it and soak it with cleaner and then spray the shit out of it with a pressure washer!
A pressue washer will not get it clean itself, you still have to use some soap and scrubbing. At the least cover any cone style air filter that you have. But using a pressure washer you are asking for trouble. You can use simple green on your engine as nothing has a finish that it is likely to eat away at.

· Registered
960 Posts
Yeah, you're actually going to have to do some work! ;)
Greese and dirt is not just gunna wash off...if only it would it would make life much easier.

Also, I wouldn't reccommend using a pressure washer. It increases your chances of damaging vital parts with water.
Just use simple green and a garden hose at your house...and SCRUB :D

· Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the cleaner i got will take the grease and stuff off without scrubbing.

and even so, i didn't ask what to use to clean it or if the pressure washer was a good idea, i just asked what to cover up so i could use a pressure washer.

so quit avoiding the question, if you dont know the answer dont post.

· Registered
960 Posts
BoostedRex said:

and even so, i didn't ask what to use to clean it or if the pressure washer was a good idea, i just asked what to cover up so i could use a pressure washer.

Care to share this super engine cleaner with us all? I'm interested, since my friend has an 89 CRX and could benifit from this scrub free cleaner.

Cover your cone filter, if you have it. Fuse box, distrubutor. Those are the main things.

· Registered
166 Posts
step by step instruction

I've posted on this topic before on another board but here goes... This is the method that I use to detail my engine bay and it yields great results.

First off, do not wash the engine unless it is cool. (I.e. you could leave your hand on the headers and it's not warm)

Materials Needed

• a sponge
• a cleaning brush of your choice (nothing too abrasive, I use an old toothbrush)
• a bottle of simple green diluted to 30/70 (simple green/water)
• saran wrap
• garden hose
• some clean 100% cotton towels
• Maguire’s #40 professional vinyl & rubber cleaner/conditioner

Preparation
Cover/wrap any electrical component that might get wet while washing with the saran wrap. Parts to cover include the distributor, alternator, fuse box (optional) and any exposed wiring connectors.

Rinsing
Using the garden hose, rinse the engine bay using low pressure. You basically are letting the water run over the various areas of the engine bay, not blasting it. Go over each area of the engine and do not let the water run over the same spot for an extended amount of time. The goal is to let any loose dirt run off. The heavier dirt is taken care of in the next step.

Cleaning
Spray the diluted Simple Green throughout the engine bay. Give any really dirty/greasy/oily areas a good dousing. Let the Simple Green sit for a minute or two. It starts to break down the oil & grease on its own. Now it's time to give the engine a good scrub. Easily accessible areas can be cleaned with the sponge. (Underside of the hood, valve cover, exposed paint, etc.) The harder to reach and dirtier areas are what the brush is for. It's fine to spray on a little more Simple Green on areas that you need to while scrubbing.

Rinsing
After you have finished scrubbing to your heart's content, rinse the engine bay. Again, use low pressure and let the water run over the engine. You can do more scrubbing with the brush on areas that you've missed or didn't scrub as well as you thought initially. Do not stand there with the hose in your hand and water running into your engine while doing the scrubbing though!

Drying
Do not air dry the engine. Using the towels, hand dries each part of the engine/bay. Unwrap the electrical components and use one of the more damp towels to wipe them down. Then dry them with another dry towel. Hand drying ensures two things. It prevents water from sitting and seeping into places you do not want it. It also makes sure that each part is indeed clean and will not have any water spots. After all, you wouldn't let your car air dry after washing it, so do the engine bay the same courtesy.

Plastic & Hose Detail
To get your hoses and other under-the-hood plastic looking in top shape, use the Maguire’s vinyl & rubber cleaner and a clean dry towel. To avoid overspray, spray the cleaner directly onto the towel and then wipe down the hoses and other plastic. (I.e. stock intake tube)

Once you have gone through the entire process, you will have a show quality engine bay that you can be proud of and your friends will envy. (Although, I've seen some dirty engine bays at car shows) For true car show appearance, a good quality polish can be used on the painted areas of the engine. Finish off by polishing your polished metal pieces with some metal polish and your engine will be sparkling.

· Registered
2,988 Posts
BoostedRex said:

Did you not read the 7th post down???

The guy stated everything you can cover!

...and please post pics of the engine after you are done with it. I find it hard to believe you have a cleaner that will get it perfectly clean with NO scrubbing. Sounds to me like you are 1) trying to do it the lazy way 2) to good to get your hands dirty.

· Registered
57 Posts
you can get an engine cleaner/detailer at discount auto parts. comes in a box of 2 aerosol cans. works really good. and i can't stress enough just like everyone else. COVER IMPORTANT ENGINE PARTS. when i first cleaned my engine, i got a lot of the cleaner and water in the distributor cap and had to put in a new distributor. thank god my dad works at exxon as a mechanic and the tools were readily available. so yeah.. use simple green or the engine cleaner im speaking of. im going to pick up some today, and ill post the name of it later.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.