Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i want to clean my engine out so what do i need to worry about?? can i just spray it w/ cleaner and wash or do i need to cover some stuff???

thnx -tim

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
do i just cover the distributer and teh CAI intake?

o and sorry its in teh tech forum

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
if you haven't done anything to the dizzy like drill the traditional two holes to tap the coil for an msd ignition then don't worry about it. Just go to the car wash with a can of gunk engine degreaser.

cut the engine off...spray the degreaser everywhere under there...let it sit about a minute or two then put the sprayer at the wash on ENGINE CLEAN...

this will be a soapy warm/hot spray which will help to quickly clean off the degreaser and keep the block warm...

then once it's pretty much soapy as hell, switch to HIGH PRESSURE RINSE and go at it until you run out of time and you'll be set.

This is the way to do it if you don't have access to your own high temp pressure washer like the used car lots. Unless of course you can somehow get the car to the car wash without warming it up excessively that is.....

If you use the straight up rinse cycle on it you risk cracking the block or exhaust manifold (rare but could happen :rolleyes: )

after you're done just crank the car and proceed to wash the rest of it as normal so to give it time to evaporate the rest of the water.

I've washed soo many engines off this way it's not funny....

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
stackz said:
if you haven't done anything to the dizzy like drill the traditional two holes to tap the coil for an msd ignition then don't worry about it. Just go to the car wash with a can of gunk engine degreaser.

cut the engine off...spray the degreaser everywhere under there...let it sit about a minute or two then put the sprayer at the wash on ENGINE CLEAN...

this will be a soapy warm/hot spray which will help to quickly clean off the degreaser and keep the block warm...

then once it's pretty much soapy as hell, switch to HIGH PRESSURE RINSE and go at it until you run out of time and you'll be set.

This is the way to do it if you don't have access to your own high temp pressure washer like the used car lots. Unless of course you can somehow get the car to the car wash without warming it up excessively that is.....

If you use the straight up rinse cycle on it you risk cracking the block or exhaust manifold (rare but could happen :rolleyes: )

after you're done just crank the car and proceed to wash the rest of it as normal so to give it time to evaporate the rest of the water.

I've washed soo many engines off this way it's not funny....
You should wash the motor with the car on...and tech. speaking the best way to wash a motor is to use a steam cleaner...

Also i would clean with break fluid, it will clean the shit out of the motor and evaporate quicker then you would beleive so no miosture would hurt anything in the motor, just do not leave it running, then i would turn it on and squirt down the whole motor, close the hood and let it run to get the motor hot and evaporate all the water...

I use brake fliud, but i am willing to bet alot of people will go against me on this....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Except for the fact that brake fluid eats paint for breakfast lunch and dinner it sounds like a great idea. Not to mention the pollution....
:eek:

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Sorry, I'll have to go against the brake fluid idea also. Also, whether you leave the engine on depends on what kind of cleaner you use. Lots of engine degreasers are flammable, which means no source of spark should be present. Read the directions on the can, if it says to shut the engine off do it. Just did this a few weeks ago on the wife's Accord, worked good and started back up right away. Just don't make it a point to blast the hose all over the dist or into the spark plugs or other electronic stuff, rinse those more gently.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
klungemonger said:
Sorry, I'll have to go against the brake fluid idea also. Also, whether you leave the engine on depends on what kind of cleaner you use. Lots of engine degreasers are flammable, which means no source of spark should be present. Read the directions on the can, if it says to shut the engine off do it. Just did this a few weeks ago on the wife's Accord, worked good and started back up right away. Just don't make it a point to blast the hose all over the dist or into the spark plugs or other electronic stuff, rinse those more gently.

ok, i will go even further into detail... If you wet the engine down paint and everything, then just spry brake fliud on the "engine" intake mani, block, tranny, etc... and then rinse it off, the water from before will dilute any overspray and then rising it offf right afterwards will dilute it again... Sorry i was not more clear...But i do it all the time, and have had no probelms what so ever! You just have to be careful and i have not seen anything work like it does, besides the acid the detailers at my work use and a steam cleaner...

I suggest if anyone is really serious about keeping their engine clean, i would invest in a steam cleaner, they are not that much few hundred bucks, but you can do so much more with them, undercarrige, door jams, trunk gutters, etc...use that and your car will look like it just rolled of the show room floor...

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
TodaTeg said:
I suggest if anyone is really serious about keeping their engine clean, i would invest in a steam cleaner, they are not that much few hundred bucks, but you can do so much more with them, undercarrige, door jams, trunk gutters, etc...use that and your car will look like it just rolled of the show room floor...
Steam cleaning is cool. You can get budget models from Harbor Freight tool for real cheap.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=8823
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46098

·
Registered
120 Posts
Anyone know which type of aluminum wheel cleaner the CRX guy is talking about on his site?

I mean... what's the active ingredient? There's a couple of different wheel cleaners and they all have different stuff in them.

In any case, Simple Green is awesome! I just used it and my engine is so clean now :) It looks like I just put in a new power steering pump.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
94civicDX said:
Anyone know which type of aluminum wheel cleaner the CRX guy is talking about on his site?

I mean... what's the active ingredient? There's a couple of different wheel cleaners and they all have different stuff in them.
It's basically acid. It's a liquid, comes in a jug or a spray bottle. Really strong stuff; like he said, it will etch aluminum. The detail shop at a dealership would have it, but probably not for sale.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
TodaTeg said:
You should wash the motor with the car on...and tech. speaking the best way to wash a motor is to use a steam cleaner...

Also i would clean with break fluid, it will clean the shit out of the motor and evaporate quicker then you would beleive so no miosture would hurt anything in the motor, just do not leave it running, then i would turn it on and squirt down the whole motor, close the hood and let it run to get the motor hot and evaporate all the water...

I use brake fliud, but i am willing to bet alot of people will go against me on this....
i think you ment brake cleaner, that shit works great to take stains out of clothes

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
capn said:
i think you ment brake cleaner, that shit works great to take stains out of clothes
I certainly hope that's what he meant . . . because brake fluid will eat the paint right off the metal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts