Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the wastegate is supplied with a certain spring. Say for instance 8lb. Is the turbo max boost only 8lbs? If so, how do you go beyound that? Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Twofaced,
The wastgate mearly controlls the amount of boost that will charge into your engine. 8 psi is NOT he max amount of boost your turbo will spool ( it all depends what kinda size turbo you have) but im guessing its no smaller than a T3... The wastegte just controlls the amount of pressure producedd by the turbo that is then being forced fed into your egine. You can change the amount of boost on the wastegate with what is called boost controller, they make manual (quick an easy install) or an electronic contrroller which can get very complex anquite pricey. So if you wanna raise your boost just get a simple manual contol valve by turbo XS or you can even mke your own!

"It is an external one that connects to the turbo manifold. The exhuast gases from the turbo manifold blows into the turbo and keeps on blowing. The turbo keeps on spinning and spinning and you get more and more boost! But you don't want too much boost or else your engine will blow up! (Too much boost = too much power = pistons can't handle this power = goodbye motor! ).

So how do we regulate the turbo so that it does not overspin? We have a wastegate. The wastegate sees how much boost you have in your engine. If you have it set at 7 PSI, when the wastegate sees 7 PSI, it will open up and send the exhaust gases AWAY from the turbo so the turbo does not keep spinning!

Imagine you have a windmill and you blow on it. It will spin and spin and spin. However, if you put a sponge in front of your mouth, the windmill will slow down. Thats exactly what the wastegate does. It slows down the air flow from the exhaust"

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answer. I'm sorry the question might be miss leading. I meant to say if the spring in the wastegate is set at 8lbs. will I only be seeing 8lbs boost? I know the turbo is capable of producing more. Is there a way to go beyond 8lbs. when the wastegate is only set at 8lbs? The boost controller goes inline between the wastgate and the turbo right? Or at least where vacuum lines go. Okay, does the boost controller regulate boost or does the wastegate? Sorry I'm still learning about this fascinating power producer we call TURBO. Thanks again.

·
Registered
896 Posts
a wastegate controls the actual amount of boost your car is going to have, a boost controller is just going to let you adjust the amount of boost you want, it makes the wastegate open and bleed away boost at the set level you tell it too...

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have an internal wastegate on my apex i kit. The stock spring is 5.5psi but i just lengthned the rod out to get more boost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts