Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so every time i was my car i like to spray off the engine, making sure i cover up every open element filter (pcv breather and intake) and this time was no different, except for a few hours later. okay after the wash i took a short, maybe two mile drive. came home and let the car sit for a few hours, went to take a drive and i get a flashing CEL and a vibrating, misfiring ( i think its misfires) engine, it seems like my car is only running on two cylinders, i also get a whiff of fuel. so i take my plug wires out, and they have water in 3 out of the 4 wells, where the plugs are recessed into. so im letting it air dry in hopes that this solves my problems, anybody ever hear of this, and/or know how to fix it? i can only see it being a defect in the plug wires. any comments/tips are welcome, this is the 2nd time it has given me these problems, just this time i looked into the wells with a flash light.

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also i tried google, i came to the idea of spraying wd40 in there, i tried and it seemed to work on 3 of the cylinders, but the first one in line has a lot of water in it, so idk how to get it out without actually taking some tubing and sucking it out.

· Registered
2,529 Posts
I don't know how well or if this will work but my thought is to pull the plugs, then crank the motor with the starter for a couple of seconds. Water I would think would shoot out of the plug holes, at least enough of it so that you could put the plugs back in and burn off any excess water.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Woah, first off NEVER take your plugs out with water in the plug wells, getting any water into the internals = DEATH to engine. Just dont do it.

Also, DO NOT SPRAY OFF YOUR ENGINE WITH A WATER HOSE! I would not recommend this because of all the wireing ect. that is not really designed to be water tight under there. Your engine compartment is meant to stay DRY, thats why there are splash guards and a hood on protecting it.

If you want to clean off your motor, get some simple green and some rags ect. and spray it on, let it sit, get a spray bottle for water and scrub it off. works like a champ, and you dont have to cover anything up or worry about water getting where it should not.

Also, for getting water out of the plug wells, just use a windex (or whatever) bottle sprayer, spray the initial fluid out of it, and stick the tube down in the bottom of your plug well, and begin spraying like you would with a reg. bottle of cleaner. Once the water is out, use some contact cleaner or wd-40 or whatever and plug your plug wires back in.

If your getting water in your plug wells, it may also mean your plug wire set is not sealing or seated right. Sometimes this happens, hell, a blizzard forced a bunch of snow into my no. 2 cyl. plug well and I had to use the spraybottle method to get the water out a few times.

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i coverd all the important things, i just didnt think water would get under there, i mean i didnt even use high pressure

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.