Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This will probaly get moved but i need info. It deals with the D16Y7 that comes in a 97 DX Hatch. My water temp gauge went out and i was wanting to know if i can use the sending unit for a aftermarket gauge. it has two wires that go into it and i am figureing at least one of them is a signal wire right, i mean the wires coming off of the sending unit on the block? If i can't use that for my gauge how hard it is to replace that stock sending unit with one that my gauge will work with. the gauge is a summit racing brand digital. I appreciate help from the Honda Guru's!!!

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
appreciate it, any idea which one is the signal wire? see i knew if i asked here i would get my answer
should be the yellow/green

the reason why you us an oem one is the ecu is setup to "see" a certain voltage range

· Registered
11,248 Posts
Lets back up to make sure that we are talking about the same sensor. There are 2 temp sensors on the head that serve different purposes.

#11 is a single wire unit that is what drives the gauge cluster.

#13 is a 2 wire unit which talks directly to the ecu.

I've got a spare #13 if anyone has one that is busted :) PM if interested.

· Registered
11,248 Posts
my oem gauge is broke... if i want a aftermarket gauage i need aftermarket sending unit correct? oem only measures so much temp change?
I'd just replace the oem gauge. The gauge itself is about $30. I was pricing them just earlier today. Or buy mine and I'll buy an SI one to match my tach :)

If you use an aftermarket gauge, you will need to use its sender as well. No guarantee that you can mix-match. Easiest to just drill/tap a hole on the water neck outlet on the front of the head.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so your saying that the aftermarket summit gauge may or may not read off of the one wire unit? or should i try and tap into the two wire unit. i know you say its easier to just drill and tap but i just wanted to know if i was going to have to go that far.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
would #6 in the illustration above be the correct housing to drill and tap? or can i pull out the one wire sensor and maybe put a aftermarket sending unit in? i don't think the oem would work i am asking thats what the forum is for.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have pulled out the stock gauge and will just replace it since it only was held in with three screws, man i thought it was soldered in and everything else thats why i wanted to just go aftermarket. thanks for the help guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.