Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok got a CAI and no bypass on it (Yes I know my bad). so I was driving in the rain. ran over a deep puddle and got water in the block. so anyways just wondering what can i do to fix it? Or is my engine scrap metal? It didnt turn over for the last 2 days (It happened 2 days ago). But this morning it turned over once then it got stuck again? What do u guys think? fixable?

Update: took off my spark plugs all had water on them. I looked in the block i got water on all 4 pistons. anyway of getting that water out of the clyinders? water is on top of the pistons.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I feel your pain!

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. I have a 99 civic Si with an AEM CAI. I was driving down the freeway and plowed into a puddle of water at like 70 mph, besides the fact that I was almost killed by surrounding traffic, my damn intake filter was sopping wet when I pulled over to check it and my car is now running like it is on crack. It bogs up and down when I step on the gas and it idles funny too. My check engine light is on too. I still have a warranty on the engine and tranny from Honda. Does anyone out there know if my warranty would do anything or if I am screwed up the goat ass?

:(

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
litlsquirrel said:
I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. I have a 99 civic Si with an AEM CAI. I was driving down the freeway and plowed into a puddle of water at like 70 mph, besides the fact that I was almost killed by surrounding traffic, my damn intake filter was sopping wet when I pulled over to check it and my car is now running like it is on crack. It bogs up and down when I step on the gas and it idles funny too. My check engine light is on too. I still have a warranty on the engine and tranny from Honda. Does anyone out there know if my warranty would do anything or if I am screwed up the goat ass?

:(

If you got water in your engine, then hate to tell you but your warranty will be VOID. The aftermarket part (CAI) caused water to enter the intake (if thats the problem), therefore you warranty will be void.

If you do have water in your engine, DO NOT crank it. Remove all your spark plugs, turn the engine over by hand if possible. Bring the cylinders up to top dead center. Find a Wet/Dry shop vac and rig up a piece of small rubber hose on the end so that you can stick it down in the spark plug hole. If you don't do that, you'll have to remove your head to get all the water out. Any small amount of water left over should burn off once it starts up. Try buying a pre-filter that goes over the end of CAI. This will help you out a lot next time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It was on there when I bought it.

I know the intake voids the warranty, but it was on the car when I purchased it from Honda. Does that make any difference? And how do I turn the engine by hand?

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
litlsquirrel said:
I know the intake voids the warranty, but it was on the car when I purchased it from Honda. Does that make any difference? And how do I turn the engine by hand?
They'll probably void it anyhow unless the part was installed by Honda or you have proof that they did.

If you remove all the spark plugs first you might be able to grab the crank pulley and turn the crank by yourself, or you'll have to put a socket on the bolt that holds on the crank pulley and turn it with the rachet, pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
325 Posts
i would take that CAI off and pop on a short ram, that way your filter isnt dangling down by the pavement, theres a reason stock filters are up high.

good luck with your engine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Better than Before

Well, I ripped off the intake yesterday and the filter was useless, I mean it was absolutely nasty as hell. So I chopped my AEM CAI in half to make it a short ram and replaced the filter. I also took off my spark plugs to check if there was standing water inside, there wasn't so I put some new NGK iridiums in. I am guessing all the water burned up after driving it for a while. Now my car runs awsome and it sound mean as hell with the short ram. Oh yeah, dont ever try washing a filter in your washing machine, it doesn't work to well. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
litlsquirrel said:
Well, I ripped off the intake yesterday and the filter was useless, I mean it was absolutely nasty as hell. So I chopped my AEM CAI in half to make it a short ram and replaced the filter. I also took off my spark plugs to check if there was standing water inside, there wasn't so I put some new NGK iridiums in. I am guessing all the water burned up after driving it for a while. Now my car runs awsome and it sound mean as hell with the short ram. Oh yeah, dont ever try washing a filter in your washing machine, it doesn't work to well. Thanks for the help.
I seriously hope you were kidding about the washing machine thing.

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
remember, clutch in when going over puddles.

·
Registered
578 Posts
this is for the poster fir fox get the water out befor trying to turn it over. same thing happpend to me last month . i used a long sonic staw and sucked the water out with my mouth then spay some carb cleaner in the spark plug hole it will get rid of what is left after sucking the water out .. let it sit for a while then take the spark plugs out allof them then crank it over if it cranks freely then put some new plugs and it should be fine, if it dont crank with the plugs out ..:( you killed it prb stretched a rod or something let me know .. ps my car is fine and i suck about 2 full cups of water out .. but i did not try to crank it till i took the water out.. good luck

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
firefoxNSR said:
ok got a CAI and no bypass on it (Yes I know my bad). so I was driving in the rain. ran over a deep puddle and got water in the block. so anyways just wondering what can i do to fix it? Or is my engine scrap metal? It didnt turn over for the last 2 days (It happened 2 days ago). But this morning it turned over once then it got stuck again? What do u guys think? fixable?

Update: took off my spark plugs all had water on them. I looked in the block i got water on all 4 pistons. anyway of getting that water out of the clyinders? water is on top of the pistons.
haha that's why i never drive in the rain. if it's raining i'll leave the car where it is or take a cab.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I'm dumb

Yea thanks for the info buddy. but its too late i tryed to crank it and its stuck SO I'm F*****!

Anyone got a b18 for sale?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Same thing happened to me in November, CAI and flooded intersection, I was dumb enough to try and turn the engine over before I pulled the spark plugs. I was also 300 miles from home. Luckily the motor started running after I got the water out + a lot of carb cleanen ,ran like shit for at least 2 hours. It originally sounded like I had valvetrain problems, I took it to Honda dealer for a valvetrain adjustment, they told me the valves were fine but the motor failed compression check. Cylinder #3 was about 25 below the others. It was either a bent connecting rod or maybe a busted wrist pen. Motors been running for 3 months but sounds like crap.

If you've ran into some water problems I would definately have a compression check or better yet a leak down check done to ensure head gasket, valvetrain, and compression is good. My 2 cents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts