Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
479 Posts
I think the difference is the type of tranny , b16a1 is cable and b16a2 is hydro.... The b16a2 should fit right in because its just like the DOHC VTEC sol, but the b16a1 (cable) is made for the older hondas crx/hatchback. Sorry if im completely wrong but hope it helps.

· Registered
43 Posts
Actually you are right. If you look on hondamotorsonline.com they say the same thing. Also the horsepower is diff. The b16a1 is JDM and the b16a2 is USDM and JDM. The b16a1 is 170 and the b16a2 is 160 USDM and 170 JDM. Unless I am wrong on some of that.

· Registered
30 Posts
Difference

Actaully, the b16a1 has 160 hp and is use with cable trans. The b16a2 has a usdm one that produce 160 hp (10:2 compression) and JDM one that produce 170 hp (10:4) compression...Basically the b16a1 will bolt right up to any obd1 civic if you use it in conjuction with a hydro trans...The only part that you will have to change out on the b16a1 to fit into the civic is the motor mount bracket that bolts to the block to obd1 bolt style or gs-r bolt style depending on which motor mount you use...I hope that clear it up a little...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.