Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it sounds (as my honda owner friends have told me) alot like bad cv joints but it doesnt only do it when turining it does it mostly at low RPM's and off the line. the guy i got it from said its done it for like 2 years and he could never find out what it was, but he doesnt have superhonda! and he said he had new axles installed and it didnt go away. im thinkg ima check out the cv joints/boots and than i have no idea what else it could be.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same problem a while back I also thought it was my axles and I replaced them but it still did the same thing, but mine was due to my exhaust pipe hitting something underneath my car but I found the problem and fixed it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got the same sound coming from my car. There's a clunking when I engage the clutch or when I tap the gas or brake suddenly. I got my axles checked, so it wasn't those. I'm thinking I fractured something in my clutch so it's clunking around when I shift or change momentum suddenly because my friend broke something in his clutch downshifting into 2nd going 85+ just like I did.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i had slight knocking sound from front suspension when pulling off or going over the cobbled speed hump on my girlfriends street for 2 yrs also! thought it was cv joints at first but they seemed fine...then thought it was a anti roll bar drop link that popped out after being side swiped by a van but put new one on and still same for another year.
then this year the government safety check we have in UK said my upper ball joints were worn and the only way to replace them was to renew the whole upper wishbone.
i checked them myself by raising the front and rocking the front wheel in and out and i could see the upper ball joint moving lots. So i had to get the job done...i had the test station do the work so that theres no comeback.
they said it was simple job...charged 1hr labour per side but the wishbones were £150 each from Honda ($265USD each)!!! :eek
tho my car is a 97Vti with 4WS and has done 133k miles and this is the first suspension work to be done...and this is for my personal safety so im not really complaining.
but no knocking now :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
2Six...jack the front end up then grab the wheel top and bottom and rock it...if the upper ball joint is worn then you will see the ball joint move.
here in the UK there arent many after market parts for 5thGen ludes so i had no choice but to get the wishbones from Honda...it was also mid winter and i couldnt be bothered to do it myself!
u maybe able to get wishbone with the ball joint from another manufacturer in the US...but anyway even if u have to source them from Honda they will prolly be much cheaper than here in UK.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ohh i did that once but i was only going like 40 or 50 ir was still like holy shit, and my buddy was like dude that wasnt good. i was like "i know it went iin the wrong gear" he just looked at me shook his head.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.