Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... so i have ground control coilovers on stock shocks with the front about 2-21/2 inches down and the back around 2 inches down. I have 17's with 205/40's on them. When i go over little bumps, i hear like a creaking sound coming from the rear driveer's side of the car. It sound like something is "loose" i guess.. its hard to explain.. im curious if i might have a blown shock, and if there is anyway to check that without taking it to be looked at. If i push down on the car it rises back up again... so im thinking that it's not blown. I did get into an accident with the car and that left rear suspension was allllll replaced... every nut and bolt.. but now... almost a year later.. it sounds like its all just coming loose... any ideas?

· Registered
1,297 Posts
I have same creaking sound problem at the rear suspension or coule be the muffler bolts...I dunno why...

it happens when I take a right turn lil' quick. (Only a right turn) :confused:

· Registered
7,625 Posts
A blown shock won't prevent your car from returning to proper ride height. The shock only keeps the spring from bouncing out of control but it's the spring itself that sets the ride height.

It could be from the accident even though everything was replaced. They can never get all the mount points exactly back to where they were from the factory, it's just the way it goes with accidents. But maybe it's the springs squeeking in the upper mount rubber isolator, try cleaning and putting a light oil coat in there.

My suspension creaks plenty since I put my sway bars in, I got to get around to fixing that mess under there too so don't feel bad. You're not alone!

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well when i had the 17's put on.. i had to raise the back end up higher than the front.. but the rubbing has stopped.. i think im describing it wrong.. instead of like a creaking noise its like... like bumping... like two things clanking together... not like a squeek or anything... like picture you have a 4 inch diameter metal ring, and a 3 inch pole going through it... its like the sound that would make when the pole hits the inside of the ring.. make any sense?

argh... aiight.. all of you come to my house and test drive my car! that'll be easier.. but thanks for the help so far!!

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i didnt do the install myself.. i had it done by technistar out in rochester, new york. I know that they had to do something weird to that side... like hot torch the first shock out, and replace it... would that have anything to do wtih it?

also when i go into my accident, the bdoy shop repaired the suspension on that side... is there anything that they might not have known about an aftermarket suspension setup?

· Registered
7,625 Posts
I don't think the torching would affect it since they replaced the shock they torched.

Really no difference installing an aftermarket suspension compared to a stock. All I can say is the higher spring rates might cause the loads on teh suspension bushings to go up, the springs can also bounce sometimes in the perch when you are real low and use strong springs with stock shocks. Just some thoughts, but still can't say for certain.

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think im going to go out and jack my car up to see if anythign is moving.. would pics do anything at all? Im not the most educated when it comes to suspension.... anyhting i should look for when i go under there?

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the help.. ill report back tonight.... with some pics.

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
some shitty pictures....

Click Me

Okay.. so there are some pictures... After jacking my car up, looking around, and getting yelled at for using my street as a slalom course to test it out, I noticed a few things...

1) everything seemes tight except where the spring goes up and meets the boot it sits in.... it seemed quite loose there... (as you can see i can move it up and down about a half an inch by hand) but im assuming that makes no difference when the car is back down?

2) You can easily see the fact that the body shop painted my car purple instead of silver when i got into the accident (that's getting redone btw)

3) I know NOTHING about suspension.

It's getting dark here and i didnt feel like removing the rims so those were the best pics i could whip up tonight. If anyone sees anything weird.. please tell me.

I took some picture of above the rims... it looks like the rim is pointed inward a bit... not too much.. but maybe enough to make for an uncomfortable ride? Also, when i let my car back down and drove it around the block, i felt a new humming sound comign from the tires... sounding like it needs to be aligned. Everytime i jack this car up and set it back down it does somethign different.

Is it time to just take it to an expert? Who works on suspension that is good/cost-efficient?

HELP.

· Registered
7,625 Posts
OK, that stuff is a bit enlightening. Looks like your bumpstops weren't cut down, that's a must for a car lowered 2" like yours. Also tha springs probably do bounce on the perch sometimes due to being loose like that. I'm sure they stay in the cap like they should but if a spring is able to reach static state (no compression) at any time in travel it can move around some. Try some sport shocks with shorter rods, that might do it for you. And cut those bumpstops at the groove in the middle.

· Registered
84 Posts
like klungemonger said, cut those bump stops. That may solve the problem all together. I cut mine down to about 1-1.5 inches and I have the same drop on my hatch. If you are riding on the stops due to your drop, you are taking pressure off the spring at times, if this happens to the point of loosing contact, it will move around inside the retaining cap.
Make sure to cut the front and rear stops. Should make your car ride a little better too. :)

Check to make sure your sleves do not move at all with the car jacked up. The orings that fill the space between the shock and the sleves do snap from time to time, if one snaps the sleve can walk around and make noise.

Also, the lower bushing in the arm you showed looked like a Poly bushing. Did you have this replaced? To me it looks a little off center in the hole, check to make sure that doesn't move when you jack up the car also. If that bushing is bad it will sound like you described also.

I've had so many odd noises from my suspension it's insane. From bairly loose lower control arm/strut brace bolts, to camber kit set at max adjustment and rubbing on the inner bolt, to lower ball joints going bad, to poly bushings drying out, to springs rubbing on the shock.
The way I found is the best to locate noises is not very safe but it works great for me.
I jack up the car like normal, take off the wheel and put another jack under the axle or lower ball joint (depending on what my guess is for the noise) and lower the first jack to put weight on the suspension, have a buddy of mine slowly push down on the car while I listen around for noises.
Like I said it's not safe, that thing could jump off the second jack and nail me pretty easy, but just make sure everything is secure, take it slow and keep as much of yourself out from under the car.

There isn't much on a honda suspension that I havn't replaced or repaired, so if you have any questions at all feel free.

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the tips... now here sthe stupid question... what part are teh bump stops? can you re-post the picture with a circle around them? i feel stupid asking....

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
also... when i jack my car up.... and spin the wheel while its in the air.. i hear this slight rubbing coming from inside the drum. My friends told htat if my brakes are too low or shot that they would jsut constantly rub and cause a crayy sensation while driving... is this true? It almost sounds as though there are rusty metal pieces in there kinda grinding together...

::sigh::

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.