Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all...
i used to be over on the AV6 site aka RAWDIGGA, but as we all know they are down... ne ways. last week while driving and attempting to merge with highway traffic i gave my car (99 AV6 EX coupe) a little gas and bang, car wouldnt go anywhere the revs just went up and nothing was happening...Finally the car downshifted prolly to what seemed like 2nd gear because i was only going 40 mph and the engine rpms were at almost 5500 rpm!! check engine light came on and d4 was blinking...By total coincidence i was already on my way to the dealership to get a routine oil change done so luckily i was half way there when my tranny decided to go... Next day i get a call from the service dept and they tell me that my transmission is SHOT and i need to get another one. Luckily this is ALL under warranty still and honda is providing me with a rental.. (a shitty cavalier BLAHH) so its been 4 days now without my AV6 and man it does suck!! oh well just had to vent and tell whoever had that list going on what members cars had had there tranny's replaced add me to it! :( ---regards--joe

· Registered
15 Posts
what kind of mods did you have on it? My car is at 50k and when i floor it, it makes this shifting sound like its a manual (where the tone goes up and then goes down and then back up, you know what im talking about). When i shift into park and reverse and drive, the car rolls for a bit like its on neutral, and then goes in the appropriate direction, but regular shifting on D4 seems normal...

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mods see sig nothing major at all!
Also the symptoms that you were describing is strikingly similar to the ones that affected my car...
i also experienced on my av6:
GEAR hunting at part to light throttle.
When car was cold and switching from park to reverse the tranny would slip then engage into reverse with a noticable thump.
Also when going from reverse to d4 (car fully stopped) it would thump into gear.
On a couple of occasions on the highway when switching lanes and passing a car (gas pedal pressed down firmly almost WOT) the car would pause for a milisecond or so and then take of like a bat out of hell almost like complete silence then BANG tranny engages.. like i came off the gas then right back on it quickly... --joe

oh yea BTW all of these symptoms were accompanied by a check engine light.

· Registered
15 Posts
do you normally drive hard or brake torque or drive on d1 or d2 or anything like that? did the check engine light come on WHILE all this strange tranny stuff was happening or only when it completely failed? I hope my tranny doesnt go after my warranty is over. No matter what everyone says about the honda dealer backing you up after your warranty ends, i bought my car from Potamkin, which isnt an official honda dealer, and theres no way they would back me on this. the tranny slipping from shifting from park to reverse and to drive is making me nervous, and so is that manual shifting sound.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i can swear that i NEVER ONCE brake torqued!!
i ran my car at MOST aggresive on RARE occasions mostly babied (i was trying to see whats the best mpg i could get) by aggressive i mean, possibly kicking the selector down to d3 on the highyway to pass a car and for some high speed blasts.. thats about it... GOOD luck ! at least take it back now so that there is a paper trail to follow if one day your tranny does fail on you... honda is pretty good from what i hear about repolacing trannys when they go even after the warranty is up..-joe

check engine light came on when it completly failed on me... not ever once before hand when the symptoms were apparent..

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the only thing that sucks is that it is taking so DAMN long ...i dropped the car off last tuesd. night and the tranny was supposed to be there byu friday @ 3pm and never arrived GRrrRRRRrrr .... i have been driving this POS cavalier for TOOOOO LONG and im going through withdrawls..Not to mention this weekend just happend to be almost 70 deg here in ct and i could have been cruising the "pike" tonite ...FAWK ME! :mad:

PS--- once i do get my car back what should i do to properly break it in.? do i have to stay out of vtec? avoid high speeds? etc etc...any info will be appreciated.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
does the extended warranty cover parts and labor??
answer is YES.. if at the time of your purchase you purchased the extended HONDA warranty its just like having your 3 year 36000 extended... SO parts and labor would be covered.. --joe

· Registered
372 Posts
stopsign said:
what kind of mods did you have on it? My car is at 50k and when i floor it, it makes this shifting sound like its a manual (where the tone goes up and then goes down and then back up, you know what im talking about). When i shift into park and reverse and drive, the car rolls for a bit like its on neutral, and then goes in the appropriate direction, but regular shifting on D4 seems normal...
Honda automatic transmissions are based on thier manual transmissions in operation. That's why it shifts like no other car. If you find that hard to believe, put it in reverese and back up at about 10-15 mph for a few yard and listen to the way it sounds.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
v6 i vtec .... i think he is describing what happend in my car not really a audible tone the car makes but rather the fact that the gear is not engaged fully, slips a little bit (rise in rpms), then drops (engages gear finally and the rpms stay constant at that moment).. And the audible tone is the rpm's rising then falling ..this was a characteristic of my faulty tranny...but i could be wrong in what i took him to mean..

· Registered
9,883 Posts
SICV6 said:
the only thing that sucks is that it is taking so DAMN long ...i dropped the car off last tuesd. night and the tranny was supposed to be there byu friday @ 3pm and never arrived GRrrRRRRrrr .... i have been driving this POS cavalier for TOOOOO LONG and im going through withdrawls..Not to mention this weekend just happend to be almost 70 deg here in ct and i could have been cruising the "pike" tonite ...FAWK ME! :mad:

PS--- once i do get my car back what should i do to properly break it in.? do i have to stay out of vtec? avoid high speeds? etc etc...any info will be appreciated.
yea once you get the new tranny. its brand new treated as such. dont do anything that will hurt yoru new tranny...ie drop shift, downshift, rev hard, etc..
why is your dealer taking so long? mine only took no longer then a week. i think it was 2 days to get the tranny in. and 1 day to put it in. thats it.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea well i guess my dealer are a bunch of fawking monkeys... i dunno car got dropped off after hours tues and part was supposedly ordered wed (2-3 day delivery) so the service man told me that friday @3pm give them a call hopefully it would be in by then.. called friday and the tranny hadnt gotten there, also the service dept is only open till 12 on sat so there was no chance it would have been in my car by then so hopefully tues get my av6 back im hoping!! --joe

· Registered
2,085 Posts
Wow.... your tranny died?|!?!...... do you drive it that hard?

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if driving it hard means leaving it parked mon-fri (i drive a company vehicle) and driving it about a total of 100 miles on the weekend (highway), including a visit to get her washed... THIS car WAS BABIED NEVER BRAKE TORQUED, neutral dropped, etc... it saw 100mph on occasion and also d3 was used to pass cars ... thats all so you tell me --joe :)

· Registered
355 Posts
V6 i VTEC said:
Honda automatic transmissions are based on thier manual transmissions in operation. That's why it shifts like no other car.
Please site references :)

joe - sorry bout your tranny. That sucks. It sounds like the tranny controller failed, which usually takes out the transmission. Hopefully you'll get your car back soon :(

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the vote of confidence im thinkin i should of bought that shiny black max (01) that was sitting next to my AV6 at the time i got her... joe---- who is still not over the fact that the car hasny been in his possesion for more than a month and MAJOR service (1000+$) is already being performed!!! :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.