Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone always talks about the good things about aftermarket flywheels but nobody says if it makes the car harder to drive in traffic or whatever. Can someone please tell me their experiance? Thanks.

-Mike

·
Registered
814 Posts
i have a jun ultralight in my car, and i have absolutely no problems with it, the fw has made my car an absolute joy to drive, and a joy to race at the strip...

some people say that that light flywheels make the car harder to drive in traffic, more specifically stoplights... others say the car slows down and has difficulty going up hills... others still report rpm's "dropping like a rock" when depressing the clutch... here's my favorite--- flywheels are no good when it comes to drag racing...

there may be some truth to many of these, but it mostly depends on the user, and how light you go... i have not driven a prelude with an 8 lb fidanza, so i cannot comment on feel, but i do know several luders using a fidanza, or a cm with excellent results...

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I have a friend who's friend has driven a 4th gen with a lightened flywheel, and whenever he drives my car he tells me how much better and easier my car drives than his friends. he's repeatedly told me over and over not to get a lightened flywheel because it ruins the driveability of the car. now i respect this guys opinion (he's an alfa romeo buff, has had 4, has 2 now, bout to by another) but i guess i couldnt make an opinon/decision until i drive with one.

i would like to hear what others say about this, because i've been wondering what other peeps think.

peace

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
well tonight we had a local prelude meet (too good to come huh altered4? :)) and one guy had a silver 4gen with a jdm h22 sprayin a 75 shot of zex. he also has a clutchmasters flywheel, im pretty sure they are 8lbs. running all motor, not sprayin, it knocked 4/10ths off his 1/4 mile time. and this wasnt some ricer or anything, he was a father that even had a baby with him, lol. so obviously the drag racing theory is false.

my favorite thing of the whole night is when the guy im talkin about raced another white 4gen from a light and was sprayin with his little baby in the car in a carseat right beside him...cracked me up that he would do that with his kid straped in a carseat....lol....probably not too safe but was definately a good laugh. i'll have to post up some pics from our meet, actually had a good turnout. about 12 ludes i think showed up on short notice. :eek:

·
Registered
213 Posts
4bidden said:
well tonight we had a local prelude meet (too good to come huh altered4? :)) and one guy had a silver 4gen with a jdm h22 sprayin a 75 shot of zex. he also has a clutchmasters flywheel, im pretty sure they are 8lbs. running all motor, not sprayin, it knocked 4/10ths off his 1/4 mile time. and this wasnt some ricer or anything, he was a father that even had a baby with him, lol. so obviously the drag racing theory is false.

my favorite thing of the whole night is when the guy im talkin about raced another white 4gen from a light and was sprayin with his little baby in the car in a carseat right beside him...cracked me up that he would do that with his kid straped in a carseat....lol....probably not too safe but was definately a good laugh. i'll have to post up some pics from our meet, actually had a good turnout. about 12 ludes i think showed up on short notice. :eek:
imagine how much faster his lude can be without the extra weight of the baby and seat!!! :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
wutangben said:
I have a friend who's friend has driven a 4th gen with a lightened flywheel, and whenever he drives my car he tells me how much better and easier my car drives than his friends. he's repeatedly told me over and over not to get a lightened flywheel because it ruins the driveability of the car. now i respect this guys opinion (he's an alfa romeo buff, has had 4, has 2 now, bout to by another) but i guess i couldnt make an opinon/decision until i drive with one.

i would like to hear what others say about this, because i've been wondering what other peeps think.

peace
nearly all folks with lightened flywheels also have performance clutches. that is probably why that guy's setup is so much less driveable than yours...

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
only from what physics tells us....

you need to be careful not to over rev when you shift... that motor will rev alot quicker with a light wheel... that is the only real warning i have on it...

·
Registered
547 Posts
what is the stock flywheel weight??? cause i was lookin for around a 12 lb, (not too light, but not too heavy:)) is that really close to the stock weight? later!

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
22lbs is stock. 18 is stock i think for gsr. 12lb is way to lightweight. Anything over 50% is too much in my opinion ive had two flywheels. ACT and Clutchmaster.

Also please do a search on flywheels in here , We already went into major detail about this issue.

·
Registered
814 Posts
4bidden said:
well tonight we had a local prelude meet (too good to come huh altered4? :)) ...
talk about short notice... when i saw your post, it was already 8:30... yea, i would have gone, there was no racing at firebird tonight...

·
Registered
148 Posts
lickmylude said:
Everyone always talks about the good things about aftermarket flywheels but nobody says if it makes the car harder to drive in traffic or whatever. Can someone please tell me their experiance? Thanks.

-Mike
ABSOLUTELY none, don't believe anything anybody else says, you only notice a gross increase in power and nothing is sacrificed. I have the 8lb CM Aluminum one.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
element h22 said:
what is the stock flywheel weight??? cause i was lookin for around a 12 lb, (not too light, but not too heavy:)) is that really close to the stock weight? later!
stock is around 22lbs like mike said. if you're looking for a flywheel around that weight check out the JUN lightweight flywheel. it is 11.24lbs for the h22. the ultra lightweight JUN weighs 10.24lbs

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
The lighter the flywheel , the more you need to rev it to get the same weight moving. It makes your engine also rev and deaccelerate faster.....thus making stop and go driving or launches harder.

You do get weight savings and quicker acceleration , but there have been many debates on weither power is ever made , or if its just torque , or just that you can get up into your powerband quicker. But its really not meant for street driving and you will wear your clutch more because you will be revving and slipping more.

Also uphill you will loose momentum compared to a car with a heavier flywheel, while going downhill you will gain momentum.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
mike_sho said:
The lighter the flywheel , the more you need to rev it to get the same weight moving. It makes your engine rev and and deaccelerate faster.....thus making stop and go driving or launches harder.

You also get weight savings , but its really not meant for street driving and you will wear your clutch more because you will be revving and slipping more to get going.
so this means it'll only be worse for a automatic right?:(

·
Registered
814 Posts
ReCK1 said:

so this means it'll only be worse for a automatic right?:(
sorry, a flywheel is a mod you definitely wont be getting for your automatic...

automatics dont have flywheels...

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have a 8lb Fidanza flywheel and ACT clutch and the only gain i noticed was 3 tenths in the quarter mile. The driveability is the nearly the same and all these "myths" are not true in my case. I would recommend it to anyone, the whole 50% weight difference isnt true from my personal experience. I would recommend the
8 lb Fidanza fly to everyone.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
H23ludedude said:
i have a 8lb Fidanza flywheel and ACT clutch and the only gain i noticed was 3 tenths in the quarter mile. The driveability is the nearly the same and all these "myths" are not true in my case. I would recommend it to anyone, the whole 50% weight difference isnt true from my personal experience. I would recommend the
you act like 3/10sec isnt much? that's quite a bit for an all-motor car.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
H23ludedude said:
Yeah you should know..... Have you tried different weight flywheels. Im probably the only one here whos had 2 different flywheels on two different cars....it effects driveability.

Also you probably gained just because your clutch wasnt slipping anymore....

3/10ths is impossible.... Maybe .1

1 - 20 of 24 Posts