Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got Brakes?
I've read much on many post so I figured this may possibly become a Brake sticky?
What have you run with what results. Semi-metallic, Carbon-metallic, Organic? Were you using OEM rotors or aftermarket?

Kommon seems to be having good results from his Carbontech setup
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154461

I ran the Nissin (AEM) pads, Great inital bite, no noise, lots of dust! Warped rotors twice (powerstop X-drilled)! I know this has happened to others.

One of the guys at the shop here is running the powerstop rotors on all 4 corners of his GSR and Greenstuff pads. Says they work great for him for 1 year plus so far. I've been told the Greenstuff are oganic and will wear pretty quicly, any comments.

Another guy at the shop that does auto-X in his Nissan recomended and swears to performance friction pads (cabon-metallic) that you can pick up from autozone for $40-50. I purchased a set and will have them installed shortly.

I've been told Hawks are some of the best pads out there also. Any comment / complaints on them.

Here some good reading kommon reccomended on waped rotors and general brake info http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm
Made me aware of why good brake fluid is vital!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
running some cheap generic pads with generic rotors...during autox I am still able to exceed the azenis' grip limits so I don't find it necessary at this point to upgrade to axxis or hawks...nor do I find it necessary on the street either but I am only one of many who think that way

cons: poor initial bite..and i'm sure they'll fade in an instant during any track events...so i'll upgrade pads when necesarry

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
I bought some stock rotors and ebc greenstuff pads for my rears when they went out when I first bought the car. That was about 6-7 moths ago. I love mine and cant say one bad thing about greenstuff pads. more grip than stock with little dust. I cant wait for my fronts to go out so i can replace them too. I reccomend ebc's to everyone sinc I have had 0 problems with mine whatsoever.

·
Registered
381 Posts
it depends on what you're using your car for.. it also depends on whether you have abs or not.. those conditions help you choose the right setup for your car..

with track duty, you want something that has high fade resistance.. axxis ultimates hold up well in that division, but have a very strong initial bite that usually locks up the brakes if you don't have abs..

so far, i've found that for auto-x duties, aem/nissin pads work very well with non-abs cars.. great range of braking.. greenstuff is similar but has a little stronger initial bite.. same is true for hawk hps pads..

of course, if your car is just a daily driver or sport driving, almost anything is good except for the competition type pads like cobalt, ultimates, hp plus.. so there's no 'correct' combo for all cars.. you have to mix and match to your needs and taste..

here's some setups between my cars and friend:
-97 M3 w/abs: Brembo blanks w/Axxis Ultimates (Autocross/Track duty)
-99 Accord w/abs: Brembo slotted w/Hawk HPS (Street/Autocross/Track duty)
-97 Civic hatch w/o abs: Brembo blanks w/Nissin pads (Autocross/Track duty)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
syc said:
it depends on what you're using your car for.. it also depends on whether you have abs or not.. those conditions help you choose the right setup for your car...

of course, if your car is just a daily driver or sport driving, almost anything is good except for the competition type pads like cobalt, ultimates, hp plus.. so there's no 'correct' combo for all cars.. you have to mix and match to your needs and taste.
Oh so true. Comp pads definetly don't do the trick for daily drive, street use.
I was told the carbon metalic are for heavy street to autocross, which the way I drive around town seems right up my alley.
The Nissin (Aem) & Greenstuff seem to be a good street/step up from OEM. for daily driving. The greenstuff definetly have less dust. The Hawks seem to be a little better than the Nissin and Greenstuff for more agressive driving (this is only from talking to people about the Hawks) I almost ordered the Hawks but picked up the Performance friciton due to their availability. That and the auto-x'er at the shop swears to them for all his cars. I'll let ya know how they feel as soon as I get a chance to put them on! :D

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
I run Hawk HP+ with stock rotors. They grip really well....and they resist fade. I run dot 4 fluid with them as well.

Pro's

Great bracking friction.
resist fade

Con's

Lots of brake dust

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
I just got back from my first HPDE! I am still on the carbotech rotors + bobcat pads + ATE brake fluid. Braking was great. We did 30minute sessions on VIR ( www.virclub.com ) full course which is about 3.27miles. 6 sessions total and never a hint of brake fade... 'Course my little econobox really couldn't get moving any faster than about 110mph on the straights...

The bobcats are a great street pad and dust less than the AEM pads. I'd recommend these to anyone looking for a good street pad. I will probably bump up to carbotech panthers for the next track session because the next course (VIR South Course) is *MUCH* harder on brakes.

http://www.virclub.com/track_info/track_layout.html

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had the Performance Friction pads on for about 3 days, along with new stock rotors. I tried braking them in properly but it's been wet out for the last few days. They definetly don't have the inital bite of the AEM pads, but once they warm up they seem to clamp pretty good. I'm getting my brake fluid flushed and filled with new Valvoline Sythetic fluid soon, I think it might make a difference since the fluid hasn't been changed since I got my car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts