Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
one way to clean your oxygen sensor is to make the environment lean...... to do this you would dissconnect the brake booster vaccum line ( biggest one in the engine bay) and riv your engine to about 5000 rpm for about 3 minutes or so ...... this should clean it out enough....... how old would you say the one you got in your car is ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
So you want him to try and run lean on purpose while holding high RPM?????? Umm, no.

Remove the 02 sensor and clean it with brake parts cleaner, available at any local auto store. It dries quickly and leaves no residue, and is full of powerful solvents which break down virtually anything found near cars. If it's just dirty this should do the trick, if the sensor itself is bad you've just wasted your time.

·
Retired *********
4,663 Posts
HO2 sensors are very sensitive, but they can be cleaned. DO NOT use any solvent/cleaner that is not labeled 'O2 sensor safe', they are damaged by any raw petrochemical, be it carb cleaner, brake cleaner, grease, or even fuel. They can easily be cleaned by heating them up and burning off the contaminants. You can run the engine lean (like kinghawk said), but it is better to remove the sensor and heat up the tip with a propane torch. Just be careful not to heat it up too much as this will ruin the sensor.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well......... I just finished rebuilding my head due to burnt exhaust valves. When i removed my head, it indicated i was running really lean. SO umm.. i dont wanna make my car go lean any more....... But i will try to torch it and see what happens.. If nothing, then i'll use a brake/carb cleaner (no matter what if it will hurt it, since its fuked anyways)

I wished those little sensor weren't 150 bucks...:(

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
buy a new one...bosche universal and NGK O2 sensors are found in you local auto parts store....A o2 sensor is something you replace no something that you clean.

Its just like spark plugs my friend:)

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JAYMAN320 said:
buy a new one...bosche universal and NGK O2 sensors are found in you local auto parts store....A o2 sensor is something you replace no something that you clean.

Its just like spark plugs my friend:)

But............:( wanna donate me $150??:( :D

EDIT: oh BTW, i got a o2 sensor to try out, its out of a GM vehicle, gotta modify the connectors though, but hopefully it works..:)

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JAYMAN320 said:
50 bucks is what you need:)
Oh really, just ask for a universal one? umm ill have to do that the next time i need a new one.. Mine is allright now!:) it was just the connector terminal wire for the ground came out, i never noticed that unitl i tried to put the o2 sensor socket on and the wire came out more, so i put it back in and tried it and ta da! problem cured!:):)

Thank you all for the help though!

·
Registered
119 Posts
ok, when i put on my header, i accidently sprayed wd40 on the o2 sensor, to try to get it out... and now i get my cel all the time.. is it totaly fucked or can i save it??? thanks for the help

·
Registered
2 Posts
I cleaned my Accord(300K+ mileage) 36531-5A2-A01 Air Fuel Ratio Sensor by submerged in 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol in a Vevor ultrasonic cleaner 20 minutes at 75C. After ran it about 10 minutes at normal speed I reset long term fuel trim by my BlueDriver. Now all long/short term fuel trim are within +/- 2% at any speed. It seems improved lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.