·
Registered
639 Posts
Used V8 Mustang and with the leftover money and a little work be in the 12's :D

No replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well I'd buy either one of the following.......

98' Z28 SS

98' TransAm WS6

C4 Corvette and use the rest on go fast parts

CRX and use the rest to run 13's...lol

Or ATTEPMT to help my current car

~BB~

·
Registered
19,019 Posts
older Vette with at least a 350, spend the rest on go fast parts

·
·Àdministrator·
1,238 Posts
prored2000 said:
Used V8 Mustang and with the leftover money and a little work be in the 12's :D

No replacement for displacement.
I'd buy a $2000 Civic VX hatch, B20Z motor, Type R head, Type R tranny, put 3 grand into head work,sleve it, 12.5:1 compression ratio and I'd be in the 11s :D and well known as the 5 liter eater after smoking your Stang!

Vtec - replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I would never throw $15,000 cash on a used car. Especially if you're going to put money into it.

Put $1500 down on a new car, like a 350Z or RX-8. Then spend a little money on rims or whatever. That way you already have equity in a nice ride that won't depreciate by nearly half the price you paid for it per year.

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
A Toyota Supra. I had 15K, and saw one in the AutoTrader
back in 2000, for exactly that, but wanted to build up my Honda :cry. It did have high milage and some other problems, but those cars are definately collectable.
The RX-7's aren't that far behind, but I think they've had more engine problems, which lessens it's "collector status"?
Either model will gain value, over the years, if maintained,
IMO.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
You'll NEVER find a MKIV Supra in halfway decent condition for that low. I've checked. You might find a ragged out non-turbo for around that, but who wants one of those? All the turbos I've seen are up near $20K. :idiots
Rediculous. Fuck F&F.

·
Registered
639 Posts
JDM_Honda said:
I'd buy a $2000 Civic VX hatch, B20Z motor, Type R head, Type R tranny, put 3 grand into head work,sleve it, 12.5:1 compression ratio and I'd be in the 11s :D and well known as the 5 liter eater after smoking your Stang!

BTW they dropped the 5.0 in 96. I know 5.0's that run 9's and 10's. Of course at 33 I don't worry about insurance. Insurance companies don't ding you too bad but if your under 25 your gonna be shelling out big bucks for insurance on a V8. I am a realist about such things.

***** helps but doesn't replace displacement. Power adders do a better job.

Slight subject change, saw that anti-suv quote in the above post. I agree, I hate SUV's they are a waste, I see people using a 7 pass vehicle as a commuter with them being the only occupant while driving into Chicago for work. For what, to prove they can afford the truck and the gas. The H2 is the dumbest, 10 -11 MPG, 5 pass and it's a fugly brick. Two true stories:

I'm a home owner so I gotta haul some stuff once in awhile. My solution, a hitch and trailer on my Mustang, with the torque of the V6 and good brakes it works quite well, on to the stories.

I bought a shed kit that was a 4' wide 7' long crate. I just had them drop it on the trailer with a fork lift. No problem at all. While waiting for them to bring it out two guys were trying to get a door in an SUV, it wouldn't even fit. Many times I've seen people at the home center trying to get crap in an SUV that I can easily haul. Total cost, car, trailer and hitch is about 20K aside from mods to the car and I can carry more than the 30K plus SUV.

Second story you guys might not like, I have killed ricers with the trailer behind the Mustang. I'm sure it was just some idiot with a fart can muffler, big wing and clears but it was a kill.

No replacement for torque, that's why I got the V6 Honda. I would rate the build quality higher than most American cars I looked at. So I ain't hating on Honda's, just ricer idiots. I realize there is a difference between a tuned car and a riced one. I saw a Kio Rio with a wing a foot wider than it was, too funny.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
JDM_Honda said:

Dude... seriously. You can't actually believe that. If you get a GOOD condition ~1988 5.0L LX Mustang for $4K and blow the other $11K on parts, you'll be WELL into the 9's, maybe quicker. 5 liter eater? :rolleyes
BTW, VTEC is a crutch. It does not replace anything, and it is useless on all-out performance engines.

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
Nathan123 said:
You'll NEVER find a MKIV Supra in halfway decent condition for that low. I've checked. You might find a ragged out non-turbo for around that, but who wants one of those? All the turbos I've seen are up near $20K. :idiots
Rediculous. Fuck F&F.
That's true, they've skyrocketed in price in the last few
years. Here's one under 15K:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=164486471&dealer_id=&car_year=1993&make=TOYOTA&distance=100&max_price=&model=SUPRA&end_year=1997&advcd_on=n&min_price=&address=30075&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1992&color=&cardist=10
Non-turbo/high milage. They mostly cost 27K+ these
days, for a nice turbo one. Wish I'd've gotten the one
back in 2000, though :(. I hate buying used cars :mad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
build a blown overbored 454 v-8, a 4-spd tranny, and a jegs frame to put it in, then cut the floor off of a late 70's honda accord, drop it over the roll cage, put some fat mickey thompson drag tires on the back, little skinny ones up front, put in one fiberglass bucket seat with 5-way safety harness, and, oh yeah, you have to have a fire extinguisher, then just hold on tight when you hammer down.
oh, might spring for an aluminum floor if you drive in any wet weather, and replace all the glass with plexiglass to save weight too

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
prored2000 said:
Second story you guys might not like, I have killed ricers with the trailer behind the Mustang. I'm sure it was just some idiot with a fart can muffler, big wing and clears but it was a kill.
why would we hate it if you owned a ricer with your stang pulling a trailer? personally, i think thats pretty funny. i wish i could hear the ricers excuse for loosing

1 - 20 of 240 Posts