Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to embark on my first series of mods on my 97 Integra GS. I'm pretty much set on an Injen CAI, a DC Sports ceramic 4-2-1 header but I'm not sure on what kind of cat-back I should look into. I'm not going to be going the forced induction route with this car and I don't want to put something that flows too much that I lose my bottom end. Can you recommend something that won't sound like a lawn mower on steroids? Thanks!

:fire1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Hold off on the exhaust. It really is not much of a bottle neck right now for you.

Work on some sway bars (TypeR rear), or strut tower bars.

I made the mistake of buying a Tanabe Racing Medalion as my 3rd mod (after intake and ExMani). Hold off till you really need it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tweakmeister said:
Hold off on the exhaust. It really is not much of a bottle neck right now for you.

Work on some sway bars (TypeR rear), or strut tower bars.

I made the mistake of buying a Tanabe Racing Medalion as my 3rd mod (after intake and ExMani). Hold off till you really need it.
So you went with an exhaust manifold instead of a header. Do you think the exhaust manifold is more of a bottleneck than the header? For a 97 Integra, what do you believe the order of mod should be? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G2Integrity said:
I like my custom 2.25" piping, 2.25" resonator, and Magnaflow universal muffler. For the price ($240), you can't beat it.
Where did you get that done? I don't really know where to go around here to get a custom cat-backs. How does the Magnaflow muffler sound?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Again, I'd say hold off on the exhaust. You really will only see a small improvement from getting one.

Check out the clean/polishing article on the front page of the website (SH). If you don't plan on turboing your car, then go with a header. I like Stainless Steel. I've heard good things about the Greddy brand ones, the DC's are okay too. I'm going to look more into the Kamikaze brand ones since they look awesome as well. For the B18B1 (like mine...'96 RS) go with a 4-2-1.

For your first mods here is the list:

1.) CAI (Check out the Comptech Icebox too)

2.) Header (if you aren't going turbo) get 4-2-1 and try to get Stainless Steel (it will last much longer, and the discoloration really isn't that big of a deal). Also, if you feel you are able, go ahead about clean out the exhaust ports (we aren't talking a big Port and Polish, but every bit helps).

3.) Suspension. Strut-tower bars (front and rear, I bought the Tanabe's from OptAuto since the price was right, and they are adjustable!). Get a TypeR sway bar if you feel you can do the work (do a search for this). And maybe springs/shocks

Once you cover the bolts-ons you have to choose your path. Do you want NA, or Forced Induction? If you chose to get a header, then you probably wanted to go NA (or a supercharger). The superchargers made for the B18B1 suck, so pass on them :) For NA, get new cams (crower) and maybe some TypeR pistons. The Skunk2 IM would be a long way off after that.

Hope that helps as your guide :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tweakmeister said:
Again, I'd say hold off on the exhaust. You really will only see a small improvement from getting one.

Check out the clean/polishing article on the front page of the website (SH). If you don't plan on turboing your car, then go with a header. I like Stainless Steel. I've heard good things about the Greddy brand ones, the DC's are okay too. I'm going to look more into the Kamikaze brand ones since they look awesome as well. For the B18B1 (like mine...'96 RS) go with a 4-2-1.

For your first mods here is the list:

1.) CAI (Check out the Comptech Icebox too)

2.) Header (if you aren't going turbo) get 4-2-1 and try to get Stainless Steel (it will last much longer, and the discoloration really isn't that big of a deal). Also, if you feel you are able, go ahead about clean out the exhaust ports (we aren't talking a big Port and Polish, but every bit helps).

3.) Suspension. Strut-tower bars (front and rear, I bought the Tanabe's from OptAuto since the price was right, and they are adjustable!). Get a TypeR sway bar if you feel you can do the work (do a search for this). And maybe springs/shocks

Once you cover the bolts-ons you have to choose your path. Do you want NA, or Forced Induction? If you chose to get a header, then you probably wanted to go NA (or a supercharger). The superchargers made for the B18B1 suck, so pass on them :) For NA, get new cams (crower) and maybe some TypeR pistons. The Skunk2 IM would be a long way off after that.

Hope that helps as your guide :)
I've heard that it's always a good idea to start from each end and then move in - as in intake and exhaust and then header, etc. I just read an article on SCC on a Civic and they showed a big gain from changing the stock exhaust system to an Apex'i WS cat-back. Are Integras that different from Civics? The exhaust system is not a bottleneck for an integra like it is for a civic?

Strut tower bars and sway bars - what do they do to the ride? I understand that they're supposed to stiffen up the chassis so that you can handle better but does it make the ride harsher?

The reason why I'm a little reluctant about going forced induction is because (1) it's expensive and (2)intuitively, i think it would put more stress on the engine which in turn might hurt the longevity/reliability of the car. I know superchargers are supposed to be better for mid-end and turbos high-end and how they work, etc. But besides that, how are they different and how will they affect the car mechanically? (reliability-wise)

And how about NOS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
Kamikaze doesn't make 4-2-1 headers for integras.

You could find a stainless GReddy header for cheaper than a DC stainless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ceramic vs. ss header

deMad10 said:
Kamikaze doesn't make 4-2-1 headers for integras.

You could find a stainless GReddy header for cheaper than a DC stainless.
I hear different things about ceramic vs. stainless steel.

SS
more durable
more expensive
changes colors
gives off a lot of heat

ceramic
cheaper
looks better in the long run
keeps the engine bay cooler

so what's your pick?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
I stand corrected on the Kamikaze...the ones I see are 4-1 (looks like 4-2-1 in the pics, are gains are comparable to them thus the misconception).

Civics do yield better HP gains when an exhaust is installed than compared to integras. If you want an exhaust, go for it! What I'm telling you is for the price/performance ratio it just isn't there for you...not until more mods will there be a more significant gain from changing it out.

Stay away from Nitrous (it's not NOS, NOS is a company :) ). Sure a small shot would be cool for a little power gain, but it can do nightmares to your engine, and it is really only valuable to a practiced drag (*gasp* street) racer.

FI (Forced Induction) can be an extremely low maintenace/easy on the engine mod, it just takes the skill in knowing how to run/install it. I'd read up more before thinking about it.....

Looks like you need to do a lot more reading before going furthur. www.google.com :D

Strut-Tower bars won't really "harsh" up the ride, they just make you corner more neutral. Same with sway-bars (less body roll). You sound like you would like to feel the ride more (not necessarily a harsh ride, but feel the G's more), and both bars would help with this (primarily in cornering).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
I believe Kamikaze makes 4-2-1 headers for civics.

Personally I like the SS headers. I think they look better even though they change colors. Ceramic headers are more prone to cracking. If heat is an issue you could always wrap your header.

If you want to feel the road get some 17's with 40 series tires. Then you will feel the road.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top