Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my drain plug is leaking a bit lately, was wondering why, the washer looks in good condition but the drain plug is a bit rusty. I have dino oil in there.

anyone?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
A autoparts store. Also..make sure you drain bolt isn't stripped out. I had a stripped oil drain bolt on my old CRX and it leaked until I put in a self-tapping bolt with some brute strength and ignorance.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
trey said:
my drain plug is leaking a bit lately, was wondering why, the washer looks in good condition but the drain plug is a bit rusty. I have dino oil in there.

anyone?
can u tighten it up all the way by hand first? if it keeps spinning forever and wont tighten then its stripped.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
asianpride559 said:
can u tighten it up all the way by hand first? if it keeps spinning forever and wont tighten then its stripped.
no it gets tight, I tightened it prolly more then i should of with the washer thats on there and it did work for now (no leaking) I'm going to just buy some crushed washers and put one on next oil change.

thanks guys

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
any parts store should be able to have a new plug/washer for you.
i like to change mine every 3 oil changes or so. cheap insurance.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Would using teflon tape help? I would thing that it would seal it up good. That's what is used for a air hoses, and gas lines to make air tight seals, and I would think it would make a tight seal in this case as well. Maybe there is a downside to this somehow, not sure though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts