Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1992 civic lx 4 door sedan it has a 1.5 in it the car has aftremarket plug wires and a air intake what clutch should i put in it if i blow this one! what are the difference between stage 1 and 2 and oem? what do i need for the flywheel and what is a release bearings?

if i need to do a new clutch what do i need to do a complete clutch kit?
flywheel
clutch
release bearings
what else

also what does the weight of the flywheel do to the shift and how the tranny performes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
i have a d15b7 and i put in an exedy stage one.... IT SUCKS! Go with an ACT... complete kit stage one will be fine. The d-series can't make enough hp to surpass the ACT stage one. Also get a lightened flywheel... it will let the engine rev quicker and you will get a few more hps to the ground
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,154 Posts
Three letters... O E M. Aftermarket to OEM spec is fine, too.
I wouldn't waste any money on putting a beefy aftermarket clutch behind your 1.5 Liters of fury.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,154 Posts
lowcivic66 said:
If I were you, I would be saving for an ls motor or something to that effect.
Why save for a motor to put in your '92 when you can save for a new car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,789 Posts
Nathan123 said:
Why save for a motor to put in your '92 when you can save for a new car?
why do you just bash on people so hard man?make them look like idiots,not everyone can get a vett thats why we are n hondas :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,154 Posts
speedjunky01 said:
why do you just bash on people so hard man?make them look like idiots,not everyone can get a vett thats why we are n hondas :)
An honest suggestion followed by a simple question is bashing?
Or maybe I'm trying to get these people to THINK about what they are doing. If I had a 1992 economy car, I sure as fuck wouldn't be "saving for a swap"... I'd be enjoying the good gas mileage and lack of car payments while I saved for a DECENT vehicle (if I had speed in mind). Of course, I have common sense, too, and am not a teenager who thinks that it's the most important thing RIGHT NOW to get that mean machine to run mid-14s instead of 17s.

Nobody seems to realize that with the money you waste on an engine swap, you could EASILY sell the current car and buy a MUCH nicer and/or faster car with the combined cash. Or that when you have an OLD economy car with a spent clutch, get the CHEAPEST replacement you can.

Oh well. I'm not running your lives. SWAP FOR A B16!!!! Or slap a Stage VI ultra grip kevlar clutch & 2 pound titanium flywheel in that 80 whp street dominator!!! :rolleyes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,193 Posts
Nathan123 said:
An honest suggestion followed by a simple question is bashing?
Or maybe I'm trying to get these people to THINK about what they are doing. If I had a 1992 economy car, I sure as fuck wouldn't be "saving for a swap"... I'd be enjoying the good gas mileage and lack of car payments while I saved for a DECENT vehicle (if I had speed in mind). Of course, I have common sense, too, and am not a teenager who thinks that it's the most important thing RIGHT NOW to get that mean machine to run mid-14s instead of 17s.

Nobody seems to realize that with the money you waste on an engine swap, you could EASILY sell the current car and buy a MUCH nicer and/or faster car with the combined cash. Or that when you have an OLD economy car with a spent clutch, get the CHEAPEST replacement you can.

Oh well. I'm not running your lives. SWAP FOR A B16!!!! Or slap a Stage VI ultra grip kevlar clutch & 2 pound titanium flywheel in that 80 whp street dominator!!! :rolleyes
Come on man, you know people have different taste and some just want what they want. No big deal ya know just suggest a part and move on. I support you being on this forum as much if not more than others being you are a fellow GM and F-Body owner/fan but be easy man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
del Slo said:
i have a d15b7 and i put in an exedy stage one.... IT SUCKS! Go with an ACT... complete kit stage one will be fine. The d-series can't make enough hp to surpass the ACT stage one. Also get a lightened flywheel... it will let the engine rev quicker and you will get a few more hps to the ground
Nothing wrong with an exedy clutch. I actually bought an exedy after an *ACT* representative told me how good exedy's sohc clutches were.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,154 Posts
98civic4door said:
Come on man, you know people have different taste and some just want what they want. No big deal ya know just suggest a part and move on. I support you being on this forum as much if not more than others being you are a fellow GM and F-Body owner/fan but be easy man.
kommon_sense said:
Why take on a car payment when you can mod your fully paid off car as your time/interest/budget allows?
That's not what I'm saying. The things I DO say are only because people will actually argue with me about H22, etc., swaps being a good deal, moneywise.

If you have an 18 second economy-as-it-gets car from the early 90's, why not SAVE the thousands of dollars it takes to do a significant engine swap, sell the OLD car for a couple thousand, and buy a newer, less economy oriented car. Then they'd be riding in a better (and substantially faster) car for pretty much the same amount... or a couple thousand more, if they want to go CRAZY (for an even better model) and have a ~$60-70 a month payment (less than MANY teenagers pay for a damn cel). THAT is all I'm saying. I'm not talking sports cars or anything... but a VTEC Prelude or late model GS-R is a world apart from a base model '92 Civic, in almost every way (aside from economy).

Sure, people can do whatever they wish with their own money... but they should THINK about the rationality of such a decision when they are considering a powerplant swap on a decade and a half old car. It's not my decision, and I would not call somebody stupid as long as they realize that they are doing the thing that they simply WANT to do and would ENJOY doing... NOT what is the most economically feasable. After all, I could hardly say anything to anyone here about paying too much for a car... but IMO, the experience > the price.

DriftKingB18 said:
And this is EXACTLY why I recommended OEM. Look at the price difference...

IMO, it's not worth paying over twice as much for something that will only drive worse on the street and will have ZERO benefits on a near stock motor.
 
  • Like
Reactions: iLLeFFeKt CiViC

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,555 Posts
Nathan123 said:
IMO, it's not worth paying over twice as much for something that will only drive worse on the street and will have ZERO benefits on a near stock motor.
+1 on that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,193 Posts
Nathan123 said:
That's not what I'm saying. The things I DO say are only because people will actually argue with me about H22, etc., swaps being a good deal, moneywise.

If you have an 18 second economy-as-it-gets car from the early 90's, why not SAVE the thousands of dollars it takes to do a significant engine swap, sell the OLD car for a couple thousand, and buy a newer, less economy oriented car. Then they'd be riding in a better (and substantially faster) car for pretty much the same amount... or a couple thousand more, if they want to go CRAZY (for an even better model) and have a ~$60-70 a month payment (less than MANY teenagers pay for a damn cel). THAT is all I'm saying. I'm not talking sports cars or anything... but a VTEC Prelude or late model GS-R is a world apart from a base model '92 Civic, in almost every way (aside from economy).

Sure, people can do whatever they wish with their own money... but they should THINK about the rationality of such a decision when they are considering a powerplant swap on a decade and a half old car. It's not my decision, and I would not call somebody stupid as long as they realize that they are doing the thing that they simply WANT to do and would ENJOY doing... NOT what is the most economically feasable. After all, I could hardly say anything to anyone here about paying too much for a car... but IMO, the experience > the price.


And this is EXACTLY why I recommended OEM. Look at the price difference...

IMO, it's not worth paying over twice as much for something that will only drive worse on the street and will have ZERO benefits on a near stock motor.
I totally agree as I am a firm D series enthusiest. I say engine wise stick to what you got and build on that but it comes down to if the person is planning to make more power with n2o, a jrsc, or a turbo setup then it would be best to get what will hold up to that now rather than getting a OE spec clutch then buying a better one later to cope with the added stress.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,789 Posts
98civic4door said:
I totally agree as I am a firm D series enthusiest. I say engine wise stick to what you got and build on that but it comes down to if the person is planning to make more power with n2o, a jrsc, or a turbo setup then it would be best to get what will hold up to that now rather than getting a OE spec clutch then buying a better one later to cope with the added stress.
exactly :number1 head to the jusnk yard and miss and match parts for a 100 or so bucks, pice togeter a turbo kit,thats if you want to go into 1/4 mile racing.

what if he wants to auto-x? cant beat the light weight of a 92.

I completley understand in what you are sayng in the swpa idea its simply not a good investment but my idea is this,have fun with the d-series as long sa it will last and drive,once it dies sell and move to bigger and better things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,193 Posts
Well I plan on a H22 soon but I know I am not going to ever get my money back out of the car. I am going to see what my JDM D15B can do with n2o and a light car at the strip first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,789 Posts
98civic4door said:
Well I plan on a H22 soon but I know I am not going to ever get my money back out of the car. I am going to see what my JDM D15B can do with n2o and a light car at the strip first.
very well with a ood setup,keep the stock flywheel for 1/4 mile since the inertia of a heavy flywheel will help the launch
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top