Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an every day driver 00 civic si coupe and i want to turbo charge it reliably....i also figured that i'd just go with a kit and upgrade piece by piece from there...and i was looking at the drag gen 3 kits...what do you guys think about that kit or is there a better one?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've done a fair amount of research on this and am still having a difficult time finding consumer reviews and what suits my needs best (everyday driver, reliablility, 250-300whp max)

·
Registered
75 Posts
i think what food is trying to say is that YOU need to figure what is good and what is bad/cheap. What i mean by that is research other peoples setups and find out what they upgraded and why. Turbo charge it reliably?!?!?!? Thats what a tuner/ems is for. Be prepared to spend some bills

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
see i was stuck on "all-motor" for a long time but i put it in perspective and, correct me if im wrong, it costs more than FI with less gains...i haven't heard any negative things about drag kits and i just wanted to validate this a little more by posting this thread and also see what other peoples experiences were with this kit...based on my research i've narrowed it down to the drag gen 3 kit or the greddy bolt-on kit

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
si_tuner said:
see i was stuck on "all-motor" for a long time but i put it in perspective and, correct me if im wrong, it costs more than FI with less gains...i haven't heard any negative things about drag kits and i just wanted to validate this a little more by posting this thread and also see what other peoples experiences were with this kit...based on my research i've narrowed it down to the drag gen 3 kit or the greddy bolt-on kit
what they are trying to say is only you can answer that. what are your goals. like power gains, what is your setup gonna be for. auto-x, drag racing etc. what characteristics do you want. midrange power. all up top? figure this out and you'll have your answers. About your cost for FI vs NA. that's a relative statement. there are n/a b series running 12's. it's all in the tune. yeah a turbo can be cheaper if you short cut it. but think about it this way if you boost. you're gonna rebuild the motor anyway with forged internals valvetrain and head work, then you have to bolt the kit up, and have it professionally tuned. so in other words 4-6k later you'll ave a boost monster if you pay a shop. same for N/A

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would want more of a drag setup, moderate boost (everyday driver) no more than 250-300whp..13 sec 1/4 mile. nothing that's gonna drastically compromise reliability...will i really need to upgrade the internals for say 6-8lb boost? or since these are my intentions just stay all motor?

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
si_tuner said:
i would want more of a drag setup, moderate boost (everyday driver) no more than 250-300whp..13 sec 1/4 mile. nothing that's gonna drastically compromise reliability...will i really need to upgrade the internals for say 6-8lb boost? or since these are my intentions just stay all motor?
umm you can do that with 7-8psi on stock internals with a t3/t4hybrid turbo charger. But i don't recomend it. To do it safely. upgrade injectors, hondata, fuel pump. forged internals lowered to around 9.0:1-9.3:1 CR. Go with a t3/t4hybrid ballbearing TC 50 trim. Upgraded valvetrain i.e. dual coil valvesprings upgraded retainers and valves, and a minor p&p. 3inch downpipe and exaust. FMIC. Last but not least. "TUNE IT PROPERLY" that should be a reliable setup for what you want. DOn't have ass it and do it on stock internals and CR.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
si_tuner said:
nope no half assing it for me
good man. keep in mind honda motors do perform nicely under boost but when they were built they weren't exactly engineered for it. Yeah you can get your goal by slapping on a Turbokit and calling it a day. you can easily get 300 whp and make it last with a good tune. but do you always want to wonder whether or not your car is gonna blow today or tomorrow? So rebuild for boost take proper precautions, and you'll surpass your're goal. Or you could spend 8K on a k swap and be in the 13's on a stock motor lol. I'm currently looking at financing a Type S RSX. can you say 250 whp all motor lol

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i just installed my drag kit and i love it. Some block shaving was involved, but everything else went in pretty smoothly.I am shooting for around 270whp when I get some money for a tune so im basicly in the same boat as you.
i upgraded to
DSM 450cc injectors
OBD-1 ECU from www.xenocron.com
3" exhaust
Uberdata tune
hoping to run low 13s high 12s on street tires. hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In my opinion:
Drag kit is a waste of money... actually any kit is a waste of money unless you want 200-220 and that it's. Otherwise if you want to make more power... your going to have to upgrade parts that came in your kit... But then... why not just buy the right parts the first time?

For the amount of money kits cost you can piece together something better and more economically efficient. Especially with goals 250-300? no bolt-on kit will get you that + reliability.

Brad98_teg: if your going to fully tune, why not upgrade tires? THose will drop your times faster then any power add-on mod.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
FooD2001 said:
In my opinion:
Drag kit is a waste of money... actually any kit is a waste of money unless you want 200-220 and that it's. Otherwise if you want to make more power... your going to have to upgrade parts that came in your kit... But then... why not just buy the right parts the first time?

For the amount of money kits cost you can piece together something better and more economically efficient. Especially with goals 250-300? no bolt-on kit will get you that + reliability.

Brad98_teg: if your going to fully tune, why not upgrade tires? THose will drop your times faster then any power add-on mod.
actually on vtec beseries motors most kits will yield about 260-270hp and can easily make 300 hp. bolt on kits are good in that you don't have to find parts and you can buy a kit that was already tested and will work for your car granted you get them from a decent company. It all depends on our goals. The drawback is cost and that your buying a kit that wasn't customized for your specific needs

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
FooD2001 said:
lack of $$$$$$$$$ would if I could

Also, you can easily make more then 220whp with the parts provided in the kit.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
Brad98_teg said:
lack of $$$$$$$$$ would if I could

Also, you can easily make more then 220whp with the parts provided in the kit.
be like me and hook up 4 electric superchargers and call it day. My engine purred very nicely beyond redline right before they blew up and got sucked into my manifold. :ninja

·
Registered
235 Posts
What i ment by 200-220 is that is what a kit will give you untill you start to upgrade past the parts in the kit.

Kits $2300 (+$ for whatever the kit didn't come with) = 200-220whp (with crappy engine management).

OR

Custom: $2,000 = 250-280

If 200-220 is all you want and you don't mind shitty engine management then a kit is for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i appreciate the input guys....as far as piecing a turbo kit together, will i have to worry about the parts "meshing" together properly...or will random choices/brands be ok? if i went with a custom turbo i was looking at the garrett gt series dual ball-bearing turbos (one of the smaller ones though)

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
FooD2001 said:
What i ment by 200-220 is that is what a kit will give you untill you start to upgrade past the parts in the kit.

Kits $2300 (+$ for whatever the kit didn't come with) = 200-220whp (with crappy engine management).

OR

Custom: $2,000 = 250-280

If 200-220 is all you want and you don't mind shitty engine management then a kit is for you.
no most kits will give you 260-270 hp on b-series vtec. no upgrade needed. the engine management is fine for what the kit is meant for so long you get a reputable one and not some ebay knockoff. Greddy, HKS, turbonetics, etc. They are great for the average person who wants to run high 13's low 14's stock with no engine modification. Not everybody is hardcore

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
si_tuner said:
i appreciate the input guys....as far as piecing a turbo kit together, will i have to worry about the parts "meshing" together properly...or will random choices/brands be ok? if i went with a custom turbo i was looking at the garrett gt series dual ball-bearing turbos (one of the smaller ones though)
no go to a shop. they will fab you the piping once you have a setup. thats the only thing that needs to "mesh" Mechanically just talking about turbo setup. you only need a turbo header that suits your needs whether it be keeping your P/S and A/C or not. Then you get the turbo decide on what kinda Intercooler you want. and take it to the shop and have the shit installed and the piping made. of couse you need other stuff but that's the basics.turbo kits aren't that complicated. you'll need to upgrade your internals and stuff like that and fuel managment systems.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts