Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know they help keep the body rigid, which helps in high speed cornering. does it also make the car more stable at high speeds? ive taken my car up to 120 mph, and it felt relatively stable. now if i take my sister's corolla above 80, it shakes like a mother fucker. same with my friend's crv. is this just because i have a better stock suspension, airodynamics, or is it my strut bars?

one more question: this has happened twice. i was driving pretty fast when i braked hard and turned the wheel hard. i got a little bit of oversteer, but compensated and regained control. im wondering if my strut bars helped my in this situation, made it worse, or didnt do anything. thanks.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
1st paragraph: maybe but not likely...has way more to do then what the strut bars can do...the effect of strut bars is very minimal unless you are connecting it to the frame or firewall or something

2nd paragraph: no

·
Registered
381 Posts
1. the other two cars have softer suspension which make it feel more floaty at higher speeds.. in addition to better stock suspension setup, tegs have a lower center of gravity which adds to the stability...

2. almost all cars will oversteer if you're braking hard at high speeds while turning.. the strut bar will make the car slightly more predictable at extremes..

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
syc said:
1. the other two cars have softer suspension which make it feel more floaty at higher speeds.. in addition to better stock suspension setup, tegs have a lower center of gravity which adds to the stability...

2. almost all cars will oversteer if you're braking hard at high speeds while turning.. the strut bar will make the car slightly more predictable at extremes..
thanks for the replies. so when you say they make the car more predictable at extremes, what do you mean?

·
Registered
381 Posts
little hard to describe.. having the suspension being floaty is one thing, but when you corner or do transitions from left to right to the point the body flexes, then you have 2 things you have to anticipate..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Aftermarket vs. Stock Strut

Ok, since your on the topic of strut bars, I was wondering why people swap out their stock front upper strut bars for aftermarket ones. Ive got a 99 civic si with a stock strut that handles great. How would it be any better if I put in a different strut bar, I mean... It's just a stupid bar, how can one be better than the other?

·
Registered
482 Posts
litlsquirrel said:
Ok, since your on the topic of strut bars, I was wondering why people swap out their stock front upper strut bars for aftermarket ones. Ive got a 99 civic si with a stock strut that handles great. How would it be any better if I put in a different strut bar, I mean... It's just a stupid bar, how can one be better than the other?
I think the one you have is fine. No other bar will do noticeably better than the stock one. Invest $$ somewhere else :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.