Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinkiing of taking out my AEM shor ram and putting in my stock unit and dropping in the k&n filter.
what you guys think?
anyone with drop in filter?

·
Retired *********
4,663 Posts
It will be quieter and you might lose 1-2 hp. Thats about it.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i am thinking about the same exact thing....and the answer that i have seemed to come up with is this...........is you want to lose some low end in a trade off for some top end...keep your AEM...but your AEM short rams sucks in a whole lot of engine heat.......i have made my mind up that i am going to get the K&N drop in only because of this......all of the major tuning companies in japan only sell drop in filters.......and some guy that works for honda sat in a basement with little light and little food for days on end designing the airbox setup for the car...so it has to be good for something..............plus it adds to the sleeper aspect of the car

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
the factory airbox is also designed to be quiet... quiet means baffling/restrictions to keep noise down. get the mugen intake that uses the factory style box... or gut your box... cone filters flow better than panels though...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
so that means if you remove the baffling then you will be good

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
how come roger foo ran a stock airbox on his touring civic? if it was so much better to run a shortram i would think they could afford an extra $100-150 to run one...

·
Registered
837 Posts
you'll never have to buy a new air filter, thats why i think i might do this. just wash the sum bitch out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
drop in filter is good! but get rid of the rest of the intake crap, everything before the airbox and plumb yourself a nice cold intake to the box or ram air if you dont live in a rainy area. i have dual drop-in's that pick up air infront of the radiator and could be set up for true ram air with a little fab work. right now the bottom of the air boxes is cut off to expose the filters to as much cool air as possible and there is a giant plastic defector to keep dirt and water away.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
so are you using the stock air tube (that goes from the TB to the airbox?)...got any pix of your setup?

·
Registered
148 Posts
no the tube from the air box to the tb is great really, its the perfect size. but all the tubing leading into the airbox is for sound deading. some cars have more and some have less but it basicly just stops the noise and hinders the flow. routing your own cool air intake or ram air to the stock air box is a really good setup. ive run a worked air box and a short ram on an integra i had. the short ram was louder but no better for real performance, especially with the hood down.

the current car, notice the user name 89 IROC Z is a camaro which luckily for me places the airboxes in front of the rad, but it is baffled to death. some quick work with a dremel and wa la you have open elements, little fab work and its full ram air from the fog light wholes. ram air at least in my current form of car is good for some tenths (2-3) down the 1/4 but that has to do with vehicle speed and the presurizing of the air front. faster you go the more air is rammed, like a cheap supercharger that actually works. on the street its not a huge difference but if it rains allot forget it, at least in this case.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
oic...............i guess when i get ahold of the airbox that i am looking for then i will take a look at it and design one of my own!

·
Registered
148 Posts
yeah take a look and go for as straight and sort a shot as you can within reason. if you go for a ram air setup, try and keep it from being to low as you pick up a lot of crude off the road and remember to use some window screen to catch things like bugs leaves and what-not. you will of course have to clean the filter more often then normal, but even with an open element they get dirtier then drop-ins sealed in a water proof barely breathing little container.

oh i have found on most hondas once you pull the baffling off the air box the opening is usually plenty big enough but on some a little work maybe needed.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
will the stock air box still work witout the resonator?
i was thinking of just putting the air box back in but leaving out the resanator. this will leave a "cold air" area where the resanator use to be.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
yes it will work just fine

·
Registered
148 Posts
all i leave from the stock system typically is the airbox as a whole meaning lid and bottom and the tubing running to the tb. everything less is a fab job from there for the cool air routing. on honda's the right wheel well is a really good spot or inside the right fender.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts