Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into buying the jdm lights, you know the ones with black housing, I looked it up on ebay, and they have lots of styles of headlights, the halo projectors, and those have black housing, and chrome housing etc etc. I think I like the look of the halo projectors with black housing and the bmw ring, but I don't like that they will shine like absolute crap. I wanted the jdm depo lights, because they give the black housing look, and still shine really good. Well I was looking at an auction for the projectors, and it says they are sae\dot approved, doesn't that mean something? isn't there a standard level of quality? And like how bad do these things really light? does anyone have side by side pics? evryone used to say how bad the blue headlight bulbs were, but I have some and actually noticed better lighting. the brightness is the same, but the area of light is better. anyways, how bad could projectors really be if they are sae\dot approved. thanks alot

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
That means it's road legal. For example, you could buy all clear lights, but they're illegal to have on the road because they don't meet legal specs. But if they're SAE/DOT then they've been approved for road use.

·
Registered
977 Posts
DOT = Department Of Transportation
Approved simply means approved... your a smart kid im sure you can put the two together.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well cryogen you're on the right track, I mean obviosly we know what they stand for, but what I am saying is what are the qualifications ot be approved, if projectors really are that crappy, why would they be SAE\DOT approved, if they don't shine they aren't safe and shouldn't be approved

·
Registered
348 Posts
it must say DOT SAE approved stamped on the housing with some other numbers/letters next to it in order to be street legal...even with all that, the cops can still even ticket you if hes a prick.

·
Registered
20 Posts
SAE = society of automotive engineers.

If you look after the SAE stamp on a taillight for example, there should be a bunch of random numbers and letters. Those seemingly random letters say just WHAT has been approved.

For example some of the altezza style taillights may be SAE approved for brake lights, but not as a side marker for the rear.

Check out this site, all kinds of lighting laws and info on what's legal and why:
http://fmvss108.tripod.com/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts