Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, even just a quick blurt of your knowledge would be appreciated. i have a 2000 civic ex, with a greddy turbo kit, and other supporting mods. its the d16y8, it has the p2p obdII ecu, emanage, and sadly, its automatic. im on the verge of completeing my build for big boost, and i have run into two issues that i would love to have some advice on.

first, im swapping to a manual transmission. i've been able to figure all of the parts and everything and actually found them all as well, but i dont know if i will need an ecu that was made for a manual car. thats problem one.

second, i would like to get rid of the AWESOME emanage, and preferably go with a hondata. i cant decide which hondata yet, but thats another problem. hondata wont run on obdII, so i need to swap to a different ecu for that.

and also i'd just like to know if it is possible to actually tuned my car and get it chipped to hold all of my preferences. i've heard that a lot of time guys will just tell a company what they have done to there car and then send their ecu to them to be chipped. i dont wanna do that, but i dont wanna attempt to chip it myself either.

so tell me a little about the chipping process, and to go from my d16y8 with obdII and automatic, to a manual transmission swap AND hondata (obdI), which ecu would i need for my car??? would any obdI ecu work for it, or only a certain one, or what? im just so confused on it all, and you guys always seem to be such great help. thanks a lot just for reading this, and i hope to gain some knowledge from you guys!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Don't bother with Hondata unless you're really into the tuning industry, and require the ability to tune on the fly.

OBD1 Chip Tuning gives you the ability to burn information onto your ECUs chip to dial in all your maps, rev limits, boost limits/cuts etc etc. After each dyno run, the tuner will take out your ECU chip, put it into a burner connected to the laptop, and download new info onto it, and then put it back into your ECU for the next run. Then the process begins again.

This way, you only have to purchase the ECU. Find a tuner who does OBD1 Chip burning, and they will already have the software of their choice (Uberdata, Crome, Neptune, EZTune, etc).

Go to Phearable.net - Electronic Fuel Injection Tuning Solutions - Hondata, Neptune, Crome, Uberdata, Ectune, AEM, Honda Tuning, Widebands, Fuel Pumps, Intercoolers, Turbos, LS/VTEC, ECU Chipping, Chipped Ecus, P28. They have all your ECU needs. They will guide you to purchasing the correct OBD1 ECU for your needs, as well as the OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness. They will put a "general" "basemap" tune based on what you tell them is in your car. This tune is ONLY meant to limp you to your tuner safely.

If you don't like Phearable's prices, find your own Chipped/Socketed OBD1 VTEC Manual Trans ECU.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanks a lot. that helped me a ton. i've never understood chipping until now. i knew it had to be that easy! ha ha. everyone always made it sound like the chip was a one time thing, and you'd have to like ORDER a new one with a different tune on it. silly of me to get that impression. thank you for clearing that up. i really appreciate it

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
No Prob. When you hear stuff like Hondata, it's pretty much the same thing, but you don't need to remove a chip each time you want to imprint new information.

But I don't know many people who want to pay the $400 or so for Hondata just so the tuning session is a bit easier. Plus, not many tuners have the means to use Hondata.

If you're looking for the advantages of Hondata without the steep price or lack of tuners who use it, you can research something called the "Ostrich".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've been hearing that a lot of people are having problems using the p28 with my d16y8 just because even if you burn the y8 basemap onto the p28, something with the timing is "lost in translation". im running a stock greddy kit right now, i just wanna push to 15psi along with a manual swap. thats it! and for both of those needs, i need a new ecu.

will a tuner be able to truly dial in my d16y8 with a p28 and the chip and program of his choice? or is he going to run into these same problems. only lookin for 250hp, maybe 300.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard that. I know of many boosted d16y8 builds tuned on P28s. They run like champs. I wouldn't push it much over 240whp though on stock internals. My buddy was getting lucky at 268whp on his d16y8, but after a few weeks, you could really tell the motor was weakening on the stock internals.

What turbo is it? If it's the "every kit" with a T3/T4 50 or 60 trim, you shouldn't need to go more than 10psi to hit 250whp. If you like to drive it hard, and want it to last on stock internals, just tune it conservatively, and aim for 230whp or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts