Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so today i had a little project, intsall my subs into my car.

So heres what I do:

Hooke up the power wire to amp, run the ACC wire to the amp, run RCA/sub wire to the amp, hook the amp up to everything, ground it, and the amp was done.

I turn the key on, the amp's light turns on, turn the key off, the amp's light fades off. Good! So then my ground for my headunit was in an akward place, so I put it on this screw just right of the steering wheel underneat the dash. Radio turns on, everything works great.

About an hour later, I go to pick up my subs...no power in my car. so i rode my bike to work (fun) and had my dad get me, jump start my car, and all was well again. I waited about 10 min, then drove about 5 min to get my subs, loaded them, tried to hook one up, but needed my screwdriver which i left at home. Come home, turn off the car, all lights go off and its dead again. After about 25 minutes of running, the car is dead within a second.

So my question:
Alternator?
batter?
Is it my amp fuses maybe?
my amp power wire?
my amp acc wire?
or possibly, if its even possible, my new ground that i hooked the radio to?

I have to wait till my mom gets home now to jump my car and expirement, but dang.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Does it even click when you turn the key? Dome light work or no?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just because the car was running does not rule out the alternator. But the problem is most likely the amp is not turning off and is draining the battery.

1. Check the battery voltage both with the car running and with it off (get it jump started if you need to). Running the voltage should be around 14v, and with the car off it should be around 12v.
2. Check the power and ground wires to your amp, making sure that it is NOT on when the radio is off. And if that doesn't work:
:bash

1 - 8 of 8 Posts