Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned some older Hondas and an Acura. My last Honda, a 89 Accord is finally dead. Ive been looking around the net tryng to figure out what would be the best Honda for my to get. Ive never modified any of my cars due to lack of money. I still dont have much money but I want to get a later 90's Honda that I can start to work with. I figure a civic will be the most affordable route for me. I guess my question is what is the best year make and model for me? Im looking in the $5000 - $6000 price range. I want a 5 speed of course and I like the look of late 90's si. Does anyone have any suggestions or is there a newbie forum for people like me? Thanks for anyones help.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Cell247 said:
I've owned some older Hondas and an Acura. My last Honda, a 89 Accord is finally dead. Ive been looking around the net tryng to figure out what would be the best Honda for my to get. Ive never modified any of my cars due to lack of money. I still dont have much money but I want to get a later 90's Honda that I can start to work with. I figure a civic will be the most affordable route for me. I guess my question is what is the best year make and model for me? Im looking in the $5000 - $6000 price range. I want a 5 speed of course and I like the look of late 90's si. Does anyone have any suggestions or is there a newbie forum for people like me? Thanks for anyones help.
I dont thikn you will find a 99-00 si for that cheap. I have a fully loaded 96 ex sitting in my garage with 106,000 that bluebooks at 5500 with some light mods if your interesed.

·
Registered
747 Posts
yeah, you'd be hard pressed to find a 99-00 Si in the 5000-6000 price range that wasn't either trashed or a salvage. even ones with 100,000+ miles go for around $8500-9000. you could find a 96-98 Civic EX within your budget. A mid-90's Integra would also fall within that price range. With a limited budget, a 94-96 Integra LS would be a good starting point. it comes with 140hp non-vtec engine. this engine also makes for a good turbo setup down the road or even a vtec head swap.

you could also pick up an early 90's Civic hatch for cheap. this would probably even leave you some cash for an engine swap cause you'd really want to ditch the weak engines they come with, in a hurry.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
You could find a 95 civic for that price...

Personally I'd stay away from the 96-98 civics.....but to each his own....the body style just isn't my favorite...(of course you can change that)

I might just be biased but I think 92-95 civics are some of the best looking.....but 99-00 are great too. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I honestly would get 5th gen and have some money left over to make it fast and look good. Let's say you buy the car for $2500, you still have 2500-3500 to buy whatever you want for it...

·
Registered
549 Posts
i've got a 2000 Civic EX with 85,000 miles on it that blue books at just over $7000.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
dashimono said:
I honestly would get 5th gen and have some money left over to make it fast and look good. Let's say you buy the car for $2500, you still have 2500-3500 to buy whatever you want for it...
:) :clap

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
eg and eh. With fresh paint, good suspension and interior, and go power, they are just as good as cars rolling off the line today. (ok, mabey not, but you know what I mean) They are soo smooth and sleek. The ek's are more angular and agressive, but eg's are classic.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
i would get a 5th gen, you should be able to find one for less than 3k that way you will save a couple of thousand dollars and then use it for whatever mods the car may need. 5th gen civics can look really nice when done right, if you don't believe me just look at commador's and gurusan's civics.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
look in the classifieds/cars for sale forum...

ought to give you a good idea of what you can get. theres a 98? civic w/ a mini-me in there for around 4500.... think its got around 60k on the engine and 100K on the chasis

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
92-95 hatch and put a H22 in it or a 95/96 integra ls,if I could go back I would have got a Teg but I have my civic now so oh well

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
integra ls is a good starting platform, but civic w/ a ls swap is even better... its all about what you can afford and what your goals with the car are... hp=$

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
integra ls is a good starting platform, but civic w/ a ls swap is even better... its all about what you can afford and what your goals with the car are... hp=$
no your wrong HP = $,$,$,$,$,and $$$$$

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I see I was in the wrong place and got moved here to the non-tech. Why do the other models not have a non-tech section? Because there are more civics than anything else? Anyway thanks to all that replied. I dont know allot of the terms. Im a little old to be starting now, but I figure what the hell. Yes I do realize that 99-00 si is out of my range. They just look so damn dope. Especailly that elec blue when they have the grill all black. But thats just me.

fuco8210:

Thanks for the offer. If you want to send some pics to me at [email protected]. Where do you live? I live in Austin Tx. I dont know what Im looking for yet and Im still waiting on my income tax return for some of the money Im putting together. But still thanks.

isnbrg9:

I didnt even think about an older Integra. I love those cars. I would rather get a car with an ok motor than getting a cheaper car that Ill have to swap the motor. Also, what does giving it a vtec head do? So the ls is the model to look for? What is the difference from the other 2 letter ones? I really dont know. I think on Hondas the dx is the lowest, is this right?

dashimono:

Im not sure what a 5th gen civic is but for $2500 it must be a 92-95?

commador:

eg and eh? I dont know what these are. Is there a good place I can go to learn all the terms I will need to know to get around this forum? =-)

Also, whats a mini-me? Why is a civic with a ls swap better than an Integra?(I guess you mean a civic with the motor from a integra ls). And finally, if my questions are to stupid to be answered here where should I be posting? I have allot to learn and I like to ask questions. Thanks again.

Cell

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
eg and eh? I dont know what these are. Is there a good place I can go to learn all the terms I will need to know to get around this forum? =-)
seach, and read the stickies. they are posted throughout all the forums and contain a wealth of information that's been discussed SO many times, that it always need to be at the top of the list. :)
Also, whats a mini-me?
sohc vtec head on a sohc non-vtec block.
there are also cr/vtec swaps (crv non vtec block w/a vtec head)
ls/vtec(ls non-vtec block w/a vtec head)
frankenstein (h23 non vtec block w/a h22 vtec head)
Why is a civic with a ls swap better than an Integra?
civics usually weigh less

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. I will check the rest of the forum for info. Its just that this forum is so big and Im super busy at work. Ill try and take more time to read up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts