Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ok i want to do this b18 for my dx, but ehhh where can i get my hands on one and what am i going to need? theres no way i can do it myself and not have the engine fall out when i crank it up.

how long will it stay in the shop and what costs am i looking at?

oh yeah and the point of this thread, what is the b18?

·
Registered
47 Posts
NickSE_typeR said:
ok ok i want to do this b18 for my dx, but ehhh where can i get my hands on one and what am i going to need? theres no way i can do it myself and not have the engine fall out when i crank it up.

how long will it stay in the shop and what costs am i looking at?

oh yeah and the point of this thread, what is the b18?
1) Local Salvage Yard or well know Retail shop, the whole drop.

2)Usually takes a shop about a week, since they service other vehicles at the same time. (Do it yourself or with an experienced friend for about 5hrs labor and a SIX pack)

3)costs around $3500 to $4000 depending who you talk to.

It really depends all in your motivation and cash !!!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
b18c1= 170hp DOHC Vtec (94+ Acura Integra GSR)
b18a1= 140hp DOHC NON-Vtec (90+ Acura Integra LS, RS, and GS)
b18c5= 190hp DOHC Vtec (97+ Acura Integra Type R)

Im 99% sure that info is correct :p:) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
b18b is also a 140hp DOHC non-VTEC motor.. It's commonly found in newer Integras..
and the b17a1 is a 160hp DOHC VTEC motor only found in 92-93 Integra GSR's..

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Evolution_Tuned said:

b18c5 = 195hp :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Re: Re: what is the b18 engine from?

clique said:

By the way, a b18 is a DOHC VTEC engine. Commonly found in newer Si's and Integras.
you'll find it in integras. the Si has a B16a2.

·
Registered
83 Posts
B18 motor

A B18 motor is a 1.8L DOHC motor mainly found in Integra's.... Now, there is a B18a, which is the non VTEC motor commonly called and LS motor, and a B18c which is your VTEC motor commonly called a GSR motor... and the all powerful B18c5, known as the Integra Type R motor...

Now here is the kicker.. I heard it through the grapevine, that a LS motor... will bolt right into a 92-95 Civic, wihtout any mods.. Now i havent tried it, but i heard that was done..

Prices, well shipping is gonna cost you. And i have seen LS longblocks runnig for 500-1000 dollars.. you will need a tranny, distributor ect.. I think you can get a complete LS motor.. which is a great motor, for the simple fact you can use turbo on stock internals, and run a pretty high amount of boost. But i think a complete LS swap will run you maybe 2500 tops

And also... its not hard to do a swap.. have a weekend to do it, start early on Saturday mornoing, work until Dark, or as late as you want, and you should be done by noon on Sunday.. It amy get hairy.. but you got this BAD ASS website called superhonda.com, that you can always come and aske questions, and someone here has allready done it and usually ahs an answer..

Peash

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Re: B18 motor

dgrobe2112 said:
A B18 motor is a 1.8L DOHC motor mainly found in Integra's.... Now, there is a B18a, which is the non VTEC motor commonly called and LS motor, and a B18c which is your VTEC motor commonly called a GSR motor... and the all powerful B18c5, known as the Integra Type R motor...

Now here is the kicker.. I heard it through the grapevine, that a LS motor... will bolt right into a 92-95 Civic, wihtout any mods.. Now i havent tried it, but i heard that was done..

Prices, well shipping is gonna cost you. And i have seen LS longblocks runnig for 500-1000 dollars.. you will need a tranny, distributor ect.. I think you can get a complete LS motor.. which is a great motor, for the simple fact you can use turbo on stock internals, and run a pretty high amount of boost. But i think a complete LS swap will run you maybe 2500 tops

And also... its not hard to do a swap.. have a weekend to do it, start early on Saturday mornoing, work until Dark, or as late as you want, and you should be done by noon on Sunday.. It amy get hairy.. but you got this BAD ASS website called superhonda.com, that you can always come and aske questions, and someone here has allready done it and usually ahs an answer..

Peash
complete ls swap for 2500? wow thats a rip off :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Im just guessing on prices of a ls swap.. i was thinking that, well i dont know what i was thinking.. actually i was thinking that 2500 will get it installed... well nevermind that.. i dont know what i was thinking.. jus thitting letters.. i know that ls longblocks you can get for 1000 all day long.. then what a tranny will be around 500... and then harness, ecu, and all that other bull that comes along with a swap.... i was saying tha tyou should have arund 2500 to be safe.. but then that line is just another poor excuse.. yeah your right 2500 is a rip....

My BAD

·
Registered
432 Posts
Type R (B18C5) "changeover" - includes engine, intake manifold, fuel rail w/ injectors, throttle body, throttle cable, exhaust manifold, A pipe, alternator, distributor, ECU, transmission, starter, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, axles, intermediate shaft, shift linkage, engine mounts, transmission mounts, engine wiring harness, radiator hoses

for ONLY $5600. Good for 190HP.

That's all the shit you'll need for any swap. But that's about average for the type r swap.

Other swap prices Any real 'swap' kit should have what's listed above, and less than 80k miles (and if somebody thinks it's a rip-off, tell me where you get 'em for cheaper) Most price ranges depend on the mileage... so when somebody says they got the Type R for under 2000 bucks... they really just got a blown f'in longblock from a junkyard.

GSR (B18c1) and all goodies = $3600-4200
SI (B16a2) swap = $3400-4000
Del Sol Vtec (B16a3) swap = $3000-3700
non-vtec integra (B18b1) swap = $2400-3400
non-vtec integra (B18a1) swap = $2000-3000
PRELUDE vtec (H22) = $3500-4500

Crv longblock (B20b) = $1400
prelude longblock (h22) = $1900-2300
B16 longblock = $900-1500
B18b longblock = $800-1200
B18c longblock = 1000-1500

Just some industry standard prices I felt like posting up for you!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GSR (B18c1) and all goodies = $3600-4200
SI (B16a2) swap = $3400-4000
Del Sol Vtec (B16a3) swap = $3000-3700
non-vtec integra (B18b1) swap = $2400-3400
non-vtec integra (B18a1) swap = $2000-3000
PRELUDE vtec (H22) = $3500-4500

Crv longblock (B20b) = $1400
prelude longblock (h22) = $1900-2300
B16 longblock = $900-1500
B18b longblock = $800-1200
B18c longblock = 1000-1500
thanks alot for the info, once i get my job back... oh shit orientations at 12:00 today, im gonna see how much they are paying me, prob. 5.75/hr, aka shit. but anyhow ill look for a better paying job, right now the b18a1 is looking mighty nice. i dont want the most powerful engine, i just want something reliable (well they all are i bet), and that can be modified easily.

·
Registered
432 Posts
just don't forget... you can also go ALL MOTOR....

Which, sometimes is cheaper. And then you can always upgrade parts later. For $4000, The gsr gets 190HP I'm pretty sure. Well, you can get a rebuild on your current motor (and in the end have a BRAND NEW engine with 0 miles on it) for less than $3000.

·
Registered
432 Posts
oh yeah, and not to mention.. a rebuilt motor (like mine *cough*) is a LOT stronger and can withstand 200shot NOS.

You'd easily pay between $2000-$4000 for any swap (and then ALL the money you blow on bolt-ons for the motor you got now is gone) ...

If you're tight on money, rebuild it. YOu can start spending a little here, a little there... and by the time you're done with the simple things you'd probably be making more than $5.75/hr even at the same job.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im still not sure...

let me put you people in my shoes so i can get some better opinions:

your 17
your a junior in high school
you work at little caesers for 5.75/hour when your not at school or club swimming (aka 80-100 dollar checks every two weeks)
you have 0 dollars saved up (matter of fact, mr nino says you owe the state of texas a few hundred).
you're sick and tired of an unnamed person, dustin, saying that his 95 maxima is the end-all/be-all of cars, just cuz it has a 3.0l v6. your especially tired of him making fun of your car WHEN YOU DRIVE HIM AROUND IN IT.... grrrr

anyway, you cant get another car. so you must work on what you have. 4000+ dollars for a b18c swap is possible, but it would take forever to get that kind of money.

no more girlfriend, woo hoo!! willing to spend massive amounts of money on car instead of women who just leave you!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i asked my friend about this and he said if we modified the frame we could put a 302 in it....

...somehow i dont think so. although a 300hp v8 would sound nice, and if it fit so you couldnt tell, the ultimate sleeper!!!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Evolution_Tuned said:

b18a= 130hp DOHC non-vtec (90-93) ls/gs/rs

1 - 20 of 46 Posts