Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are your opinions on car audio and custom (boxes) if thats what u call them for my 95 civic hb please help

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
get some polk mids and highs, then go for jl 15w3 and a custom box. get any deck u like, just get a sick ass amp for your speakers. mtx amps are decent, get ppi if you have the money.

·
Registered
836 Posts
i'd recccomend jl or eclipse. Your gonna pay a decent amount of money for either of those companies but they make some of the best and most reliable shit in the business.

·
Registered
604 Posts
what are your opinions on car audio and custom (boxes) if thats what u call them for my 95 civic hb please help

Opinions are like assholes: everyone has one. There's so much to choose from, you'll never find the "best." If you go to one audio shop, their products will of course be better than the other places around town. In the mobile world, equipment AND installation quality makes a killer setup; if one is lacking then the quality of entire system will suffer.

Controller said:
mtx amps are good until they over heat which should be around 5 min or less....and way over priced...and rated
You have experience with how many doing this? I think MTX stuff (though nothing near the best) is rated very well, priced good and perform great. I've installed watched an old Thunder 2300 (or something like that, 700 some watts @ 1ch @4ohm) push 12 JL 10's for about a half hour before blowing up @1/2 ohm load. Very impressive.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
depends what you're looking for..there are no best in car audio. its like saying whats the best car.

people are saying the rainbow reference speaker set which retails for $7000 should be the king of all speakers. on the other hand. .JL W7, adire audio brahma, beyond audio inhuman, etc are better than what you would find at your local audio shop.

headunits? i don't know..but alpine CDA-7990 seems to be near the top along with denon and mcintosh. eclipse and nakamichi are also in the same league.

amps..arc audio, mcintosh, nakamichi, tsunami, adire audio, etc are all great brands. there are mix opinions on MTX amps..but i wouldn't touch them for the money. JBL seems to be the best bang for the buck now.

processors eh...audiocontrol processors seems to be very polular.

speaker has to be the most "non-bestable" :D thing. they all sound so different, and like us..we people have also different taste. i have a friend that loves his Image dynamics component set while i on the other hand..like my CDT audio set.

by the way....this should be in the electronics forum:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
You need lots of cash for these, but it all worth it.

MB Quart Components

12" Pioneer Premier (2)

McIntosh head unit and Amps 1500w total system power

About $3000 but worth it. Super clean

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
RacerXXX said:
You need lots of cash for these, but it all worth it.

MB Quart Components

12" Pioneer Premier (2)

McIntosh head unit and Amps 1500w total system power

About $3000 but worth it. Super clean
nice! but i'd opt to a different sub:D but remember..my opinion don't count because opinions are like asshole:D

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
if you're not worried about going to competitions or anything, don't be afraid to look around at your local wal mart.

i just picked up two Jensen 400 W amps (4 channel @ 4 ohms though) for $100 each, which isn't bad at all for a 400 watt amp (though they were on clearance, but normally they're $150 each, which still isn't bad). i also picked up a set of 6 1/2 pioneer 200w 3-way coaxials for $60, and a Jensen 375w 8" sub (in a tube!) for $60. Wal Mart also sells a good amp wiring kit for $25, while a similar kit at Best Buy cost $100. i'm getting one more of those Jensen subs next week, and i might get another set of the pioneer speakers in a month or so, but the end result is a full set of speakers and amps for $440 or so. add $140 for the deck (200w aiwa cd deck, which i got from best buy on clearance also), and my stereo only cost me about $600 (not including wires and all that though).

i won't win any sound competitions anytime soon, and i honestly can't yet vouch for the durability of any of these components (even the deck is only about 5 months old), but it sounds great inside the car. my only problem with them is that i think i need to redo the wiring, but that's hardly the fault of the products themselves.

just an option to consider.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
that one civic said:
if you're not worried about going to competitions or anything, don't be afraid to look around at your local wal mart.

i just picked up two Jensen 400 W amps (4 channel @ 4 ohms though) for $100 each, which isn't bad at all for a 400 watt amp (though they were on clearance, but normally they're $150 each, which still isn't bad). i also picked up a set of 6 1/2 pioneer 200w 3-way coaxials for $60, and a Jensen 375w 8" sub (in a tube!) for $60. Wal Mart also sells a good amp wiring kit for $25, while a similar kit at Best Buy cost $100. i'm getting one more of those Jensen subs next week, and i might get another set of the pioneer speakers in a month or so, but the end result is a full set of speakers and amps for $440 or so. add $140 for the deck (200w aiwa cd deck, which i got from best buy on clearance also), and my stereo only cost me about $600 (not including wires and all that though).

i won't win any sound competitions anytime soon, and i honestly can't yet vouch for the durability of any of these components (even the deck is only about 5 months old), but it sounds great inside the car. my only problem with them is that i think i need to redo the wiring, but that's hardly the fault of the products themselves.

just an option to consider.
whohoo! finally someone who likes jensen. i'm a jensen guy myself believe it or not.. walmart stuff are good too. especially their esosche EFX wiring thing. 4 gauge plus distribution block and 8 gauge wires for 2 amplifiers all for only $24! talk about great values. i use to have jensen amps. i love that thing. now why did i leave it? because i wanted to test out things that other people say is crap just to prove them wrong that it isn't (i run lightning audio amp for my speakers and a profile amp for my subs.)

what i find out? its all in the install..;)

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
yeah if you're only going for personal use, you really don't need a 1000 watt amp with 12" subs and crap like that. 1 8" sub is more than enough for most cars (though i do like to go in pairs because with only one, it gets wierd cause only one side of my head starts to hurt after a while!), and a 400 watt speaker is plenty for regular speakers.

'course if you're trying to break other people's windows as you drive down the street, then yeah you'll have to go with something a little more powerful. just keep in mind that you'll also need to run a stronger battery (possibly even several depending on how powerful your system is), and you'll also be sacrificing your entire trunk (being able to still haul stuff around is very important to me).

it's not really that i like Jensen as a brand, it's more that i saw a good deal, and i jumped on it just to see how it would work. i figured that with Wal Mart's return policy, if i didn't like it, i could always just return it, so it wasn't a big risk any way you look at it. lucky for me, my system sounds pretty nice, and i've made a very minimal investment in it.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
there is no such thing as best coz theres always bigger and better stuff coming out...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts