Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people cannot decide what car to purchase, in a world full of cheaters, crap cars, and scams you have to be careful what you get. I know the majority of people will defend what vehicle they chose to buy, and for good reason after spending thousands, they want to self assure themselves that what they bought was a wise purchase.

In my town, the occurance of an import car like Honda, Toyota, Nissan etc. is what I would make an educated ratio of 10 Domestics (trucks mainly) to 1 Import. (*cough**********cough* but thats another discussion) My friend bought an '96 EAGLE TALON not a Mitsubishi Eclipse a few months before I bought my Accord. In my opinion it was everything I didn't want in a car, it was cramped as hell, a road trip would kill you, gas mileage wasn't great, loud on the highway, poorly designed interior, and the ESi model (base model) just couldn't compete. Of course when he was around I was "Yeah its a nice car, blah blah blah.) Now here's why I came to purchase the Honda Accord, it has everything I wanted in a car. After many weeks of comparing models from other companies (not domestic cars, I have my reasons), I found an Accord that suited my tastes, after driving an hour up to the dealer and after the inspection and test drive, I fell in love with it. It has a bit more miles than some others, but to me, the odometer was just more proof that Honda was built to last. I bought it and drove it back home and from that moment on began my admiration for this company. Where I live my Accord would be considered a rarity.

This overview will be based largely comparing a Talon. Reaons why a "sportier car" isn't always the best.

1996 Honda Accord LX Sedan 5 Speed

Interior
Design was fairly plain compared to a Talon or Eclipse, there were no cheap ass gimmicks like air vents in the doors, everything was in plain view, easy to access and read. Buttons were large and easy to press so you don't have to search around which is great, air vents are easy to move around, but the temperature control can be tough to turn sometimes. I've always been a beliver in simplicity is the best answer, but perhaps the 5th gen Accords were to plain? I'd give it a 7/10 on interior design.

Exterior
What can I say, its a beautiful car all around! Beautiful lines and curves sculpt the car into a contemporary masterpiece. In my opinion it was the 5th and 6th generations design that brought the Accord into a timeless style that I fell in love with. Other designs of the Accord are nice but in my eyes the 5th and 6th are true masterpieces. The subtle spolier on some models, gave it a nice flair not overused and tacky like some other factory spoilers. A Talons looks like an ingrown toe nail sticking out the back. The plastic bumpers aren't the greatest since paint comes off easier than the body, but it gives us a good reason to paint it right? I'd give it a 9.5/10 on exterior design.

Engine
Here's where the Accord excels well in my books. Although the engine is no H22, it give ample power that is easily customized and modded. Compared to a base Talon ESi the Accord is practically an equal. I hate how people say Talons are the shit and are fast as hell, perhaps the turbos are but the base engine is not as strong as many think. The 5th gen Accord has specs of:

2.2L
130hp at 5200 RPM
144 lb-ft torque
And weight a bit over 2800lbs

A Talon has:
2.0L
140hp at 6000 RPM
130 lb-ft torque
And weight a bit less that 2800lbs

As you can see engine performance is nearly the same. Fuel economy gets a slight edge toward the Accord, even without VTEC. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are pretty close for an Accord and Talon. But despite what people say Honda is not a "gutless and torqueless" car, the specs prove it. I wish people would check the specs first before opening they're mouths. One thing a talon doesn't easily have is a easy engine swap for a H22 engine. A few mods on the H22 and you have a very, very good chance to beat a Talon Turbo. I'd give it a 8/10 on the engine.

Well these are the main things I wanted to cover, I don't think things such as options should be counted in since they're easily changed so it doesn't matter. ex) stereo system.

In conclusion, the Accord is a great veristile car, that with the proper care (and money), can be a great speed machine. It just infuriates me when people insult a proven car like the Accord, especially when comparing it to "sportier" looking car, that when thats all it is, sportier LOOKING. Although I don't expect anyone to sell their car and buy an Accord, I'm just saying that its a very very good car, you can't go wrong with one. With a strong community backing it like Superhonda.com, that's something the Talon won't ever have, a soul within the community backing the car that millions have proved. I may be biased but I think Accords, and Hondas in general have a special something that other companies just can't compare to, although I can't exactly say what it is, I just feel that Honda/Acura are special, different, deep, soulful. Perhaps its the enourmous backing Honda has? Eagle had a a stint of less than a decade, the Accord alone has practically tripled that number, that many years, that much experiance to make the next generation better. Hondas are different, Hondas are special.

If you read my entire post, thank you. If you want to see a summary, here it is. Honda isn't just another car maker that makes a run of the mill car, they're special. A great community adds to Hondas distinction to raise it above the rest, a community and following others can't compare to. For a last quote check my sig.

Of course this was all in my opinon, I will respect all others opinions. And thanks again for reading this.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
At first I was going to flame and tell you that this is a repost of crap found on Car and driver and also from Autotrader.com but yours is of a personal nature which. Kinda cool to know what others think and feel of the car........

Your rating on the interior being simple is good but is a bit harsh and reserved. Many reviewers found the simple accord interior to be a blessing. Temp and fan speed were easy to find as well as air vent controls and stereo was easy to access too. They called the accord a transparent car (something like that) in which case everything fell into place by feel and touch of your hand.......basically saying that you could keep your eyes on the road and find everything by touch because it was so easy to located and very conveniently placed.

Your rating on the exterior is about where mine sits too but do keep in mind that with bigger cars being made, the accord is slowly fading out of sight on the road. Check HS (another site) and you will find a rash of 5th gen accords being hit, totalled and other bad things.

Your rating on the engine is about where mine is too; for a car of its age the accord does fairly well while still maintaining good to great mileage.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have to say this is more of a personal review than anything, it goes deeper than what you can see and feel. But maybe i'm going too much into this, basically i'm just saying the Accord should get more respect than its getting, at least in my town which has practically has an attitide of import=weakness which really isn't fair.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
good review, agree with you on the exterior, the proportions are about perfect, only the stock tires seem too small for the body but these can be changed easily.

I love the interior, simple and clean and the plastic is not cheesy like in most other cars of the same price change. It is soft, low gloss and tight grained, not hard, shiny with large dimpled patterns! And the accord interior gets a good sound inside once you start working seriously on the stereo.

the engine is a tad weak and the suspension could be stiffer when stock, but again you can take care of this for not much work and money

1 - 5 of 5 Posts