Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Application: D15B7, dailly driver, I drive my car pretty hard. I have 186,000miles on the motor. There is also a cracked seal in between the transmition and the block. My old mechanic recommened synthetic 5-30. What do you think I should use? :confused

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Go with 15w or 20w anything if you want maximum engine life. Go with 10w30 if you want 1-3% better gas mileage and higher horsepower.

I didn't know D series motors had a seal between the engine block and transmission. In the B18c, its metal on metal. You don't need a gasket because the clutch housing that lies underneath is dry. I do not recommend 5w or 0w at all.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
ideally you should be using 5w30. thinner oil is better for regular performance and fuel economy but never use an oil thinner than what the manufacturer recommended.

The reason I suggested 10w30 is that the thicker oil will be less likely to leak and leave oil spots in your driveway.

·
Registered
49,788 Posts
yea dude dont use synthetic on a motor with so many miles.. i made that mistake with my lx and after i did that it started leaking and burning oil.

ive got a question though, ill all about synthetic, im in love with amsoil, i have a 2000 ex with 90,000 miles.. do you think it would be okay to put in synthetic.. do you guys like synthetic?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
domscivic said:
yea dude dont use synthetic on a motor with so many miles.. i made that mistake with my lx and after i did that it started leaking and burning oil.

ive got a question though, ill all about synthetic, im in love with amsoil, i have a 2000 ex with 90,000 miles.. do you think it would be okay to put in synthetic.. do you guys like synthetic?
I got my car last year at 70k miles and filled with synthetic at about 72k. Since then, my valve cover gasket and cam plug have leaked, but these are cheap parts and I will continue using synthetic.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I've been using the Honda branded 5w30 for a few years now. Seems to do the trick. But how the hell would I know the difference...right? Haha. No problems to report yet, although I think my crank seal might be showing a very very slow leak. I'm at 102,000 right now.

We're also using the Honda 5w20 in our Accord, since that's what they reccommend. That car is an 02 with 27,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
You should not necessarily follow the manufacturer's recommendation when choosing oil. A perfect example is the D series. American Honda used to reccommend 10w30, in the late '90s/early '00s they said you should use 5w30, and today, my friend with an '05 Civic says she needs to use 5w20. Now, there is a new oil coming, 0w10. Sound redicuous? It is. The fact that Honda can't make up their mind as to what oil to use should be reason enough for being skeptical. But the real reason should definitely make you think twice before using 5w30. American Honda doesn't care as much about engine wear when they have CAFE emissions regulations to meet. Instead of taking my word for it, run a search or take it from someone who tests oils:

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280263

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
my boss was talkin to me about this at work the other week. they keep makin oil thinner and thinner and pretty soon well see 0/10 . crazy shit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My car has 202,000 on the ticker and I just switched to 5W30 Royal Purple. It is the first oil I've ever used where I could actually feel a power increase afterwards. Oh yeah, no leaks or other problems either... :btu

·
Registered
526 Posts
The only oil I use is Castrol GTX 5w-30 non-synthetic, because this what Honda recommended for my engine. You probably know this, however, The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature. The 10w-30 non-synthetic will work until you get yuor car fixed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
TEAMFX3 said:
My car has 202,000 on the ticker and I just switched to 5W30 Royal Purple. It is the first oil I've ever used where I could actually feel a power increase afterwards. Oh yeah, no leaks or other problems either... :btu
I've heard many good things about Royal Purple, same with AMSOIL and I know some beaters that run AMSOIL and they never have any leaks...

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
You should not necessarily follow the manufacturer's recommendation when choosing oil. A perfect example is the D series. American Honda used to reccommend 10w30, in the late '90s/early '00s they said you should use 5w30, and today, my friend with an '05 Civic says she needs to use 5w20. Now, there is a new oil coming, 0w10. Sound redicuous? It is. The fact that Honda can't make up their mind as to what oil to use should be reason enough for being skeptical. But the real reason should definitely make you think twice before using 5w30. American Honda doesn't care as much about engine wear when they have CAFE emissions regulations to meet. Instead of taking my word for it, run a search or take it from someone who tests oils:

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280263
Honda can't make up its mind? Both engine and oil technology has changed quite a bit in the past 17yrs (nearly 2 decades). They chose the correct oil for the application.

As for honda not caring about engine wear... Honda has made its name from being reliable.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Honda can't make up its mind? Both engine and oil technology has changed quite a bit in the past 17yrs (nearly 2 decades). They chose the correct oil for the application.

As for honda not caring about engine wear... Honda has made its name from being reliable.
I have owned a '98 to '02 slushbox Accord and can tell you from personal experience that not all Hondas are reliable. I usesd the D series as an example because it has not changed much in the nearly 17 years it has been around. I wouldn't be surprised if Honda recommended 10w30 in Japan, something I should check on. If you haven't read the link I posted, then you should visit that thread and hear out the guy who tests oils for a living.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.