Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what octane fuel are u guys running and also what plugs and wires are good for F22B1????
im running Chevron 92
NKG Cold High Speed Driving Plug

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
87 is the best octane for the non boosted SOHC F-series motors. the higher the octane, the harder it is to burn. it doesn't burn cleaner, it doesn't burn smoother, it doesn't give you better gas economy and it doesn't give you more power. in fact it gives less performance and less economy in studies done by numerous car and science magazines. the only reason they make higher octane fuels is so that motors that have high pressures in the combustion chamber via turbo or high compression pistons don't predetonate the fuel. remember from jr high science that PV=nRT, or if pressure goes up, so does temperature and those higher temperatures in those high performance engines may cause the fuel to explode before the spark plug ignites it...which is bad. but this doesn't happen in the non-boosted f22, so there's no point in putting high octane fuel in your accord.

OEM Plugs and wires are more than up to the challenge for the f22.

·
Registered
772 Posts
haha i've always had 91 in my car, dunno why but right now i'm driving a 05 wrx. so now i know when i go back to my accord to put in 87 only

·
Registered
17,727 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
87 is the best octane for the non boosted SOHC F-series motors. the higher the octane, the harder it is to burn. it doesn't burn cleaner, it doesn't burn smoother, it doesn't give you better gas economy and it doesn't give you more power. in fact it gives less performance and less economy in studies done by numerous car and science magazines. the only reason they make higher octane fuels is so that motors that have high pressures in the combustion chamber via turbo or high compression pistons don't predetonate the fuel. remember from jr high science that PV=nRT, or if pressure goes up, so does temperature and those higher temperatures in those high performance engines may cause the fuel to explode before the spark plug ignites it...which is bad. but this doesn't happen in the non-boosted f22, so there's no point in putting high octane fuel in your accord.

OEM Plugs and wires are more than up to the challenge for the f22.
thank you ive been saying that shit for the longest but people incisit on buying premium for there damn accords and im telling them its not making a difference. you always get the it feels peppier with premium come back ughhh

·
Registered
772 Posts
hehe Vtec has nothing to do with what grade of fuel, Higher compression needs higher octane. the accord has low compression

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
there was a thread i believe where they did a dyno comparison between 87 and 91 octane gas... the accord that ran with a 91 octane acutally lost power.

conclusion? draw up your own damn conclusion.. hahaha pretty obvious~ ;)

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
culmination said:
there was a thread i believe where they did a dyno comparison between 87 and 91 octane gas... the accord that ran with a 91 octane acutally lost power.

conclusion? draw up your own damn conclusion.. hahaha pretty obvious~ ;)
yeah, i remember posting in that thread....the one you posted in also :tu

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
you want to run as low an octane as possible without detoniation. You want gas to burn easily. A high octane number means it's more difficult to burn = less power.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
and this now becomes Accord FAQ Material :tu

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
culmination said:
peetec engine?
Yes, its becomes t e h accord pee-tek type arrrrrrr v spec

but yea f22b1 says in the manual to use 87 octane too; VTEC accord engine isnt anything too special although it will haul grocery's slightly quicker than a dx accord but after that its all the same ish.......a car with an engine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
94accord_20 said:
doesnt vtec requir higher octane to run good??
i think the compression ratio raises when vtec kicks in, so if you get knocking when vtec is activated, then you should run a higher octane. when vtec is activated a different profile cam is used, more overlap occurs so the gases leaving through the exhaust valve suck in more air/fuel mixture, therefore having a higher compression ratio at these higher rpms.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Typhoonk said:
i think the compression ratio raises when vtec kicks in, so if you get knocking when vtec is activated, then you should run a higher octane. when vtec is activated a different profile cam is used, more overlap occurs so the gases leaving through the exhaust valve suck in more air/fuel mixture, therefore having a higher compression ratio at these higher rpms.
*Scratch head*
WTF!??!?1
Compression ratio affects power and a couple other things but you talk as if compression ratio changes dynamically in the engine.....which it does not. Comp ratio stays the same due to piston size, and cylinder head not because you are running at a certain RPM. VTEC activation is affected by engine temp, oil pressure, intake manifold pressure and the ecu NOT by compression. Compression affects if the car will speed up and take off (b series, h series vtec) whereas the f series vtec is for fuel economy.
If you get knocking with vtec you have more issues than running cheap shitty gas; however if you get knock in H series, b series then yes possibly up the octane. VTEC in accords doesnt really change overlap that much, its not for performance but for fuel economy so it changes the a/f mixture to be the most efficient, not make the most power.
Gases leaving through exhaust valves and helping suck in more air/fuel mix is something that occurs in all engines........fuel injectors help too

·
Registered
160 Posts
i did not say that vtec activates due to compression. you're correct that vtec occurs because of temp, ecu, etc...
the main difference between the two vtecs is that one is dohc and one is sohc. the sohc vtec isn't only designed with only regards to fuel economy. a low speed camshaft is best for low rpms and a high speed camshaft is best for high rpms. if there's too much overlap during low rpms you loose compression if both exhaust and intake are opened too long at the same time. if there's too little overlap at high rpms, you're loosing out on the extra a/f mixture your engine can bring in, due to scavenging.

static compression differs from dynamic compression; the cylinders do not always have the same compression ratio at all rpms. the vtec system does not change the a/f mixture; thats the ecu's job. the vtec (variable valve timing and lift electronic control) changes the timing of the intake and exhaust valves.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Typhoonk said:
i did not say that vtec activates due to compression. you're correct that vtec occurs because of temp, ecu, etc...
the main difference between the two vtecs is that one is dohc and one is sohc. the sohc vtec isn't only designed with only regards to fuel economy. a low speed camshaft is best for low rpms and a high speed camshaft is best for high rpms. if there's too much overlap during low rpms you loose compression if both exhaust and intake are opened too long at the same time. if there's too little overlap at high rpms, you're loosing out on the extra a/f mixture your engine can bring in, due to scavenging.

static compression differs from dynamic compression; the cylinders do not always have the same compression ratio at all rpms. the vtec system does not change the a/f mixture; thats the ecu's job. the vtec (variable valve timing and lift electronic control) changes the timing of the intake and exhaust valves.
The main difference is one is Single, one is dual. One for performance, another for fuel economy. Low speed camshaft,.......well isnt that a low speed cam profile not camshaft. The high speed camshaft, you mean high speed cam profile. Yes I know about the overlap and how it affects idle and how it affects fuel consumption. Cylinders wont keep the same compression but you did say very clearly "I think compression ratio raises when vtec is kicked in" which is not true. You also mention that if knocking occurs to change to a higher octane fuel in which case if followed and done on an accord, it will seriously jack something up.

Also you said SOHC isnt only designed for fuel economy, one camshaft for low speed and one camshaft for high speed, I thought this was a SOHC engine not a DUAL as you would have just said............
Go back to reading before you post man.......this thread is done because you are kiling the IQ of this whole orgy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
well first off it seem you're pretty agitated by my remarks...obviously i dont know everything about the mechanics of automobiles, so i turn to these forums for help and advising. i believe other people are in the same situation. so i try to help with the best of my knowledge and i try to accept other people's opinion in hopes of gaining more background. but if there's something that i dont agree with, i try to get involved and i usually end up learning something new or teaching something.
so...here goes with my remarks.

TSM_Pikachu said:
The main difference is one is Single, one is dual. One for performance, another for fuel economy. Low speed camshaft,.......well isnt that a low speed cam profile not camshaft. The high speed camshaft, you mean high speed cam profile. Yes I know about the overlap and how it affects idle and how it affects fuel consumption. Cylinders wont keep the same compression but you did say very clearly "I think compression ratio raises when vtec is kicked in" which is not true. You also mention that if knocking occurs to change to a higher octane fuel in which case if followed and done on an accord, it will seriously jack something up.

Also you said SOHC isnt only designed for fuel economy, one camshaft for low speed and one camshaft for high speed, I thought this was a SOHC engine not a DUAL as you would have just said............
TSM_Pikachu said:
Compression affects if the car will speed up and take off (b series, h series vtec) whereas the f series vtec is for fuel economy.

there are two different sets of cams on an sohc vtec camshaft. i haven't been talking about dual cams in this manner. when vtec is activated, the rockers align to the vtec cams (which is on the same camshaft).

the f series vtec is an sohc...and you stated that its used for fuel economy. since we're only talking about sohc, i'll only respond about this. yes the cams of the f series has a low profile since the engine doesn't reach extremely high rpms. but the reason the vtec cams have a different profile is to make the engine perform better at higher rpms (better meaning more efficient as compared to using the low profile cams). more air/fuel is introduced at higher rpms because of the longer overlap, therefore compression in the cylinders is also raised. if there's a larger volume of air coming in and the same displacement, the compression will change.

TSM_Pikachu said:
If you get knocking with vtec you have more issues than running cheap shitty gas; however if you get knock in H series, b series then yes possibly up the octane. VTEC in accords doesnt really change overlap that much, its not for performance but for fuel economy so it changes the a/f mixture to be the most efficient, not make the most power.
Gases leaving through exhaust valves and helping suck in more air/fuel mix is something that occurs in all engines......
knocking occurs when the a/f mixture is ignited by compression rather than the spark. like you stated, this can be caused by cheap shitty gas that claims a higher octane than it is (due to mass impurities, lying, etc.) it doesn't matter if its in a dohc or sohc, the main influences on knocking are the rise in temperature due to compression and the fuel's ability to resist detonation.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts