Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
how hard is it to change the manual tranny fluid???

what tools do I need to do this??? anything out of the norm besides the regular tools?? I heard I need a long tube for the funnnel....I can pick it up at the hardware store if I need one....just tell me what size to buy!!!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
lOOkatme said:

what tools do I need to do this??? anything out of the norm besides the regular tools?? I heard I need a long tube for the funnnel....I can pick it up at the hardware store if I need one....just tell me what size to buy!!!
its not hard at all...i changed my atf a few times....u jus need one of those containers which a long tube that pumps out the fluid....u jus use that to pump out the transmission fluid then jus get a funnel and add the new fluid

·
Registered
601 Posts
lOOkatme said:

Piece of cake. 17 and 14mm sockets (at least my 93 requires those two). My funnel tube is 16 inches long and works. Be a little easier if it were a few inches longer. I find it easier to jack up the right side and take off that wheel than getting a really long tube and filling from above. Lets you access the filler bolt more easily too. Takes exactly two quarts. Don't forget to replace the bolt seals.

Originally posted by imp0rted1
i was thinking of changing to synchromesh... any negative thoughts??
That's what I use. If you grind a little, try the synchromesh. If your tranny is fine, get normal MTF and save your money. GM synchromesh is 10 bucks a quart. Find it at any GM dealership. Get the regular kind.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
cOiL said:
Piece of cake. 17 and 14mm sockets (at least my 93 requires those two). My funnel tube is 16 inches long and works. Be a little easier if it were a few inches longer. I find it easier to jack up the right side and take off that wheel than getting a really long tube and filling from above. Lets you access the filler bolt more easily too. Takes exactly two quarts. Don't forget to replace the bolt seals.

That's what I use. If you grind a little, try the synchromesh. If your tranny is fine, get normal MTF and save your money. GM synchromesh is 10 bucks a quart. Find it at any GM dealership. Get the regular kind.

where is the best place to buy the bolt seals at??? and how much do they run? how many bolt seals....I'll change my fluid over spring break.

How about power steering fluid??? never done that one.....how do you guys do that one? how much, and what fluid does it take?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
cOiL said:

You can get the same stuff labeled as Pennzoil at most parts stores. Even has a GM part number and costs around $3-5/qt.

Also....all I do is drain my fluid, put the drain bolt back in, lower the car, and fill through the nipple on top of the casing that is a "vent". It is supposed to have a little rubber cap on it, but my JDM tranny didnt have one so the nipple is just sitting there. Its much easier than trying to get a tube into the filler hole.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
lOOkatme said:
where is the best place to buy the bolt seals at??? and how much do they run? how many bolt seals....I'll change my fluid over spring break.

How about power steering fluid??? never done that one.....how do you guys do that one? how much, and what fluid does it take?
you will need 2 plug washer/seal one for the filler plug and one for the drain plug...i got mine at the honda dealer the one for the filler hole are 90 cent and the drain i think are like 5 cent.....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have Honda MTF in mine, haven't switched to anything synthetic lik royal p or anything. People I know use 10W30 oil...I've yet to see anyone run into problems because of the oil they put in the tranny. They're pretty compatible.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
I am going to change my tranny fluid over spring break...which is 2-3 weeks away. I am at 50K on my origional fluid. figure its time to change it. I am using Honda MTF.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.