Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on going to Firebird Raceway next week in phoenix. Just curious what you guys think I should be running with what I've got on my prelude. This will be on some Federal POS street tires also.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WBC said:
Depending on ur driving. Low 14's high 13's
13s would be awesome, except then I'd have to buy a helmet.

oh well, I'm not counting on getting into 13s anyway, not that good of a driver yet.

Everyone needs a goal though I guess :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Haha but then u could walk around with ur helmet and be proud. It's all gonna be in your launch. U should trap around 100~105. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WBC said:
Haha but then u could walk around with ur helmet and be proud. It's all gonna be in your launch. U should trap around 100~105. Good luck.
yea, the launch is where I suck the most unfortunately, haha.

but hopefully with that ignition I can at least suck consistantly. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll probably say mid to low 14's. Just make sure and concentrate on your launch. Rev it to about 4500 rpm and feather it out. I drove my friend's 5th gen prelude a few times at the track and found this to be the best way to launch it. What kind of tires are you running?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
npwhite6s said:
I'll probably say mid to low 14's. Just make sure and concentrate on your launch. Rev it to about 4500 rpm and feather it out. I drove my friend's 5th gen prelude a few times at the track and found this to be the best way to launch it. What kind of tires are you running?

Right now I'm on 205 Federal super steel 535s, I've never looked up how good or bad they are. I imagine they're just a normal street tire though, nothin special. They came on the car when I bought it, and I haven't quite gotten the money together for new wheels and tires.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for some reason I was thinking for anything 13.xx or faster you needed one, and 12.xx you needed a roll cage too, but I found out other wise.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
MANY tracks require helmets @13.99 or faster. But I wouldn't worry about that on your first time to the track.It's very likely you could run 13's in your car, but given your track experience, I'd say you run 14.2 or slower (w/ a 2.5 60'). But who knows.... maybe you are a good driver.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nathan123 said:
MANY tracks require helmets @13.99 or faster. But I wouldn't worry about that on your first time to the track.It's very likely you could run 13's in your car, but given your track experience, I'd say you run 14.2 or slower (w/ a 2.5 60'). But who knows.... maybe you are a good driver.
hahaha, nope, not a good driver yet. I went last weekend, didn't have a good night at all. Couldn't get traction off the line to save myself. Best 60' was about 2.4 I think. I know I've done better than that. Best time in the end was 15.1, but my clutch was slipping most of second gear, and even shifting at 8000, I still dropped below vtec in third. Either way, it wasn't a good night. I couldn't get a good run in with or without spray.

oh well, can't have a great night at the track every time I guess.

I also know my tires are about due to be replaced. Maybe with better tires and a clutch that can actually handle the torque I'll have a better time. I'm not blaming everything on those, I was definately screwing plenty of stuff up, but those are some of the problem.

Apparently the track I was at is notorious for having traction problems also, didn't know that when I went.

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
i feel yah man, my car only ran 15.3 the time i took mine. I backed it up though at an eigth mile track running a 9.70 which calculates out to like a 15.0 or so. I'm a bad driver getting better lol..... I should be around like 14.6-7 with the power i am making.

·
Registered
969 Posts
bob12345 said:
for some reason I was thinking for anything 13.xx or faster you needed one, and 12.xx you needed a roll cage too, but I found out other wise.
NO telling, thats what I thought when I went to KCIR to find out that all participants must have a helmet, even in my 17 second beast :D

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
under 14.00 you only have to have a helmet
under 13.00 you have to have helmet and 4 point roll cage
under 12.00 helmet and i think 9 point roll cage (might be too many points)

And i dont remember when you need flame retardent suit.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
98Vtec said:
i feel yah man, my car only ran 15.3 the time i took mine. I backed it up though at an eigth mile track running a 9.70 which calculates out to like a 15.0 or so. I'm a bad driver getting better lol..... I should be around like 14.6-7 with the power i am making.
Last summer when I ran in portland I ran a 14.9 on just a 55 shot and CAI. Then when I ran in phoenix a few weeks ago, I had everything in my sig, and could only pull out a 15.1. hmmmmm, sounds like a shitty night to me! haha, oh well, I've got the clutch in the garage, and I'm just waiting on the flywheel to come so I can put that in. I finally got some better tires, Ventus HR2s in 215. They're still not the greatest tires around, but they're a hell of a lot better than the shitty federals that were on there before.

When I get the clutch in I'll head back to the track and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
98Vtec said:
under 13.00 you have to have helmet and 4 point roll cage
under 12.00 helmet and i think 9 point roll cage (might be too many points)
Eh? Those aren't NHRA req's, but maybe more strict local track enforced rules. My car is legal to run 12's with only a helmet and a driveshaft loop (not something you guys need to worry about) according to NHRA.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts