Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which springs are best with 17 inch wheels on a 93 civic. I want to close the wheel gap all around. Anyone have a civic with 17s and its lowered, let me know what to get. thanx

·
Registered
228 Posts
Beachboyy said:
which springs are best with 17 inch wheels on a 93 civic. I want to close the wheel gap all around. Anyone have a civic with 17s and its lowered, let me know what to get. thanx
get coilovers, i have ground control. the ride is decent with stock shocks too.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Re: Re: what springs for civic on 17s

white4drcivy said:
get coilovers, i have ground control. the ride is decent with stock shocks too.
Do not get coilover sleeves, they are way to dangerous, because to spring rates are not matched and can compress and stay in that form. I suggest a 1 1/5" drop with either springs by Eibach or neuspeed (not a fan of) and you should be straight. You can go 2" but be careful, u will need a camber adjustment so when u hit a bump it wont rub, of course there are other factors such as tire size.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Re: Re: Re: what springs for civic on 17s

Phatcivic said:
Do not get coilover sleeves, they are way to dangerous, because to spring rates are not matched and can compress and stay in that form.
And just where did you get this information from? You say that they are dangerous but recommend Eibach springs. Eibach makes the springs for Ground Control's Coilovers...

Besides, if the spring rates were not matched properly, how would that cause the spring to stay compressed? As long as the spring is at least as stiff as stock, it will rebound.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: what springs for civic on 17s

kommon_sense said:
And just where did you get this information from? You say that they are dangerous but recommend Eibach springs. Eibach makes the springs for Ground Control's Coilovers...

Besides, if the spring rates were not matched properly, how would that cause the spring to stay compressed? As long as the spring is at least as stiff as stock, it will rebound.
I do have confermation on this, yes it is rare but i have seen a coilover SLEEVE that has compressed and not rebounded because the fact it was not matched. Yes eibach does make the springs but that has no effect on teh shock used or how low the car is dropped. Not to mention anytime u use a coilover system such as sleeves u should get the car courner weighed. Yea it seeems far fetched but better safe then sorry.

If you would liek i can try going to my friends shop and getting pics, when that will happen well not till next week since i plan on being drunk this weekend..lol.

Also do remeber coilover sleeves do not come with shocks nor do they recomened which ones to in fact get..right??

Not to mention anything that is used to adjust car up and down like that i dont like, it just doesnt look like a sturdy product, compare a coilover system to that of a sleeve and you will see what i mean.

On my Spec I am waiting for Nismo to come out with teh coilover system and getting that installed. Thats my opinion on that, but look out for pics..

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what springs for civic on 17s

Phatcivic said:
I do have confermation on this, yes it is rare but i have seen a coilover SLEEVE that has compressed and not rebounded because the fact it was not matched. Yes eibach does make the springs but that has no effect on teh shock used or how low the car is dropped. Not to mention anytime u use a coilover system such as sleeves u should get the car courner weighed. Yea it seeems far fetched but better safe then sorry.
I would say that if you lower too low or do not use the appropriate shocks then all bets are off when using sleeves. That does not make them dangerous, it just means that you have to do a little homework to use them properly. For example, If you want to lower 2", then don't buy shocks that will have their warranty voided if you lower more than 1".

Most likely the car in your friends shop had cheap coilovers, or lowered too far, or didn't use appropriate shocks. I would really like to see pictures and know exactly what parts are on the car.

Also getting the car corner rated is ideal to use coilovers effectively, but not necessary. After all, what happens if you corner weight and then end up with a car full of people, potentially another 600+ lbs of weight?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Phat, honestly what you're saying doesn't really make sense from a physics perspective.

Normally for a suspension to "drop" something has to break. The coilover sleeve could coneiveably break, or someone might not have tightened it down enough and the spring seat worked its way down, but for the spring to just compress and stay there is pretty inconcievable.

I don't think that the spring's elastic limit is anywhere within the compression range. (You might be able to stretch the spring into its plastic range, but not while its mounted on a car.)

For the money, the two best combinations in many autocrossers' opinions are the GC coilovers with Koni Yellows, or lower spring rate GC coilovers with KYB AGX's (street, not serious competition).

There are some real performance advanatages to going with matched springs and dampers, like integrated coil over shock systems (Tien, etc.), but there are some REAL cost disadvantages.

Here's what I'd do given my experience. I would find a good Koni dealer (pay the extra $100 for good advice) and ask them what spring rate they would recommend with a set of Koni Yellows for your application. Call until you can get a knowledgable answer from a good speed shop.

Then, call Ground Control, talk to them about the situation - they are also very knowledgable. If they know your goals, they can double-check the spring rates and also advise you on what length springs you should buy and how much drop you should dial in. In the end, you will end up with a matched set of shocks and springs for your application at a much lower price than a full set of coilovers (with an arguably better shock).

If you're serious about performance, then you can corner-weigh your car to get that last little bit out.

If you don't care about performance, just get some Eibach drop springs and the KYB AGX or KYB GR2 shocks. (The GR2 is an AGX set permanetly on the softest setting.)

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Wheather or not u belive me well i dont care personally, i saw for a fact, like i said i am a lil drunk right now but i will try to get a picture of it.

2nd i think maybe 15% of people calla round asking for what to get in spring and shock combinations, since i think 70% of people on here still ride on there stock shocks right?? Exacty but thats beside the poitn. If the call GC and ask what they think it will be fine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I got neuspeed race springs with KYB GR2's. My car rides great. It's pretty slammed, but I dont rub. I need a camber kit, but over all I like it. And in Ohio, our roads Suck ass, so I have seen the worst roads. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got the neuspeed race springs in hatchback too. They definetly improve the cornering of my car but they ride pretty stiff. They do the job of filling out the wheel gap with my 17's. Once I put them on i was able to get my car sideways around a few corners with no use of the e-brake. But the streets in Vegas are pretty slick. I would recommend better shocks if you go this way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts