Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

what to do with a badly discolored header?

4K views 62 replies 9 participants last post by  4bidden 
#1 ·
i have a dc sports stainless steel header that is very badly discolored. it's a little over a year old. i don't have pictures but it is digusting. when i open the hood, the first thing you see is the header. honestly, it looks like some one wiped their ass with it. i don't know if they are grease stains from the hands of the people that put it on for me or what. does the ceramic one change color like the stainless one does?? i think that's the way i'm going. any suggestions?

#3 ·
thanks, i sent them a message. are they reasonable with price? if so, it saved me 300 bills. now i don't have to buy a ceramic header. thanks. i'm glad the board is up again.

#6 ·
thanks 4 and wu. i hope i can pop the bolts on the two-piece that i have. i tried taking it off for the winter but i couldn't get the bolts loose on the middle part. jerk-off garage that put them on didn't put any antisieze on those bolts. what pisses me off the most is that my bro has a comptech header on his 3.0 CL and that this is gorgeous. he also paid 1200 bills. but it was worth it. his turned the usual golden color. mine turned brown. i'm waiting for a response from jet hot. i'll keep you posted.

#7 ·
road_head said:
thanks 4 and wu. i hope i can pop the bolts on the two-piece that i have. i tried taking it off for the winter but i couldn't get the bolts loose on the middle part. jerk-off garage that put them on didn't put any antisieze on those bolts. what pisses me off the most is that my bro has a comptech header on his 3.0 CL and that this is gorgeous. he also paid 1200 bills. but it was worth it. his turned the usual golden color. mine turned brown. i'm waiting for a response from jet hot. i'll keep you posted.
dc quality sucks...

#9 ·
if you cant get bolts off, find a store that sells PB Blaster. the shit works miracles like you wouldnt believe. you dont even need to soak the bolts in it, just spray, wait a few, etc.

the CC headers might fade slightly, like the birghtness of the silver, but i think he was wondering if they change colors like the SS ones, and they dont.

peace

#11 ·
Ceramic , you really can never clean , if you try normally this makes things worse..

SS , you can polish them , get any meguiars / mother polish. And just apply some , go off with a rag til you get the beautiful shine....

I actually like discolored SS headers , all purple and gold. Its a sight....i still polish mine in certain area's , but i leave the purple and gold nearing the ports.

Good-luck.

#12 ·
mike_sho said:
Ceramic , you really can never clean , if you try normally this makes things worse..

SS , you can polish them , get any meguiars / mother polish. And just apply some , go off with a rag til you get the beautiful shine....

I actually like discolored SS headers , all purple and gold. Its a sight....i still polish mine in certain area's , but i leave the purple and gold nearing the ports.

Good-luck.
use a water and detergant solution to clean the CC headers, then rinse them off, shouldnt make anything worse.

#13 ·
When i used water on my ceramics , it actually made them more and more grayish.....

I think my one friend had a major oil leak from his valve cover and got all over his , and he went off with a wire brush and like carbon cleaner or something......

It looked alright , but not the same. Maybe look into taking them off and getting a high-heat black engine enamel , and coat it.

Black also helps radiate heat , which will help performance as well as the paint will help keep tempatures inside more , creating faster gas flow. And more hp....

#15 ·
wutangben said:
im actually a little bit worried about my CC header now after hearing about them cracking when people use nitrous. although ive gone 14 bottles and havent had a problem, so maybe im ok...
Your header won't crack....the only thing you need to do is to lay off that crack your taking....its making you delerious.

#18 ·
mike_sho said:

Well if somehow some of the nitrous didnt get burned up in the combustion it could possibly hit the header and crack it....since ceramic headers can crack overtime.
Actually I am fully away of that....wutang and I are friends and I love giving him a hard time...every post I give him a hard time:)

#19 ·
lOOkatme said:

Your header won't crack....the only thing you need to do is to lay off that crack your taking....its making you delerious.
SD-streetracer
Super Moderator

headers
I would definatly go with stainless steel cause I had the DC ceramic ones and they cracked 3 diffrent times. I had a huge crack right in the split. I lost a nice amount of power and the car sounded like shit. So I had them welded. Like 2 months later I got another smaller crack up near the top. Then the whole thing split around one pipe and it was done. Now I have the gay ass stock manifold on there till I can get some good SS 4-1 headers But ya, Im ont saying they suck, but I have seen a few pairs of ceramic headers crack

#21 ·
wutangben said:

SD-streetracer
Super Moderator

headers
I would definatly go with stainless steel cause I had the DC ceramic ones and they cracked 3 diffrent times. I had a huge crack right in the split. I lost a nice amount of power and the car sounded like shit. So I had them welded. Like 2 months later I got another smaller crack up near the top. Then the whole thing split around one pipe and it was done. Now I have the gay ass stock manifold on there till I can get some good SS 4-1 headers But ya, Im ont saying they suck, but I have seen a few pairs of ceramic headers crack
HAHA.....he is also shooting like frickin 150 shot.

#23 ·
wutangben said:
lol, check previous post. i know sdstreetracer isnt very popular with some people, but you have to give it to him, he knows nitrous...
We all know nitrous....we just don't know what parts to put on to make it run good:)

#25 ·
Murdah One said:
my friend spray paint his...high temp chrome paint....but it may not be wise since your headers lose the ability to dissipitate heat....
don't the headers get VERY hot....I mean over 1200 degrees hot??? I am not sure but engines run just under the melting temp of the metal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.