Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7,597 Posts
d16y8 for 96+

Oh yeah... if you have rear DISK brakes you have an Si... check and see what engine you have though

D15b = S model, no disk brakes
D16Y8= Si, rear disk brakes
B16A2 = VTEC model, rear disk, ABS, Rear sway bar

· Registered
111 Posts
With an aem intake...you may see more hp, but the hp that aem gives (aem spike) is from 4-4500 and then it evens back out. To me, alittle more low end isnt worth the extra $$ it sounds ghetto to some, but id just make my own. Or you could get NSX piping and toss a K&N or use the comptech icebox. I did run AEM for about 2 years and it is a decent intake. I bought it when I knew nothing bout cars though.

· Registered
154 Posts
i'm almost sorry you bought a '97 Si model..... i got one myself and it's a REAL bitch to find the right aftermarket/performance parts for it. You can find everything in the world for a 92-95 sol but almost nothing for a 96-97....

for example the AEM CAI (got one) is for a 92-95, but I had to drill a hole in it to insert the air intake sensor(new for the 96-97 years b/c OBDII) . don't EVER assume that if it fits the 92-95 models it MUST fit the 96-97's. It may or may not (as i found out with a rear lower strut bar) or it may require some rigging.

I wanted to put a Greddy turbo kit on it, but they only make one for the 92-95 models. Because mine(and yours) is a 97 it's OBDII not OBDI you have to rig the Greddy FMU bluebox. According to Greddy (spoke with them directly) it will NOT pass smog laws/emissions testing in this configuration. It'll work, just not pass..... sucks balls.... With an OBDII you can't use Hondata or AEM's tuning software either... again, this sucks....

Of course very little of this is an issue if you happen to live in an area w/o smog laws, unfortunately, I do (Atlanta).

Btw, a couple of other mods to try out would be to put Neuspeed Sport springs on it (2" drop) and front/rear strut bars. I'll handle FANTASTIC in the twisties!

I love my car, i just wish it was OBDI so i could get away with more stuff.... :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.