Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my engine at an auction and got it for very cheap. I did a total rebuild on it and will be putting it in in about a week. I'm going to get the Phantom Grip LSD. I have the B18C1 block and a B16A2 head. I'm not sure about the tranny though. I'm sure it probably is a GSR tranny but i want to make sure. Is there any identifying numbers on the case that will tell you whether it's a tranny out of a GSR or LS? Thanks

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
reachntouch said:
I'm going to get the Phantom Grip LSD.
There's your first mistake.
reachntouch said:
I'm sure it probably is a GSR tranny but i want to make sure.
So you're "sure" that it "probably" is a GS-R but you just "want to make sure." Gotcha loud and clear........ :rolleyes
reachntouch said:
Is there any identifying numbers on the case that will tell you whether it's a tranny out of a GSR or LS? Thanks
There is no way to know whether it is an LS or GS-R tranny unless you crack it open and count the teeth, or slap it on and see where your revs are at freeway speeds. All hydro Integra manual trannies are stamped with either S80 or Y80 and there's no way to tell the diff. between them from the outside. I read that some ITR trannies have some extra stuff after "S80" to denote the LSD but that's not what we're dealing with here so it doesn't matter. Kinda sucks, huh... :(

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
hobie237 said:
my friend has a phantom grip LSD... did he convert it or do they sell a LSD off the shelf
It's not an LSD... it's a cheap peice of crap with vaguely LSD-like benefits but it does not work like a real LSD and also does not last.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just curious but where are you getting your facts about Phantom Grip? Have you personally had it or someone you knew had it? Also, who did the installation, because i'm sure if it was installed by a professional who works on transmissions everyday i'm sure it's a perfectly good product. For 300 bucks it's well worth it.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
reachntouch said:
Also, who did the installation, because i'm sure if it was installed by a professional who works on transmissions everyday i'm sure it's a perfectly good product. For 300 bucks it's well worth it.
What makes you so sure? If I had a 1987 Daihatsu Charade engine professionally installed in my car, it would still be a Daihatsu Charade engine and therefore would still suck balls.

Have you done ANY research on the Phantom Grip? Do you know that it doesn't work like an LSD at all? In that it doesn't transfer power from one wheel to another and instead just essentially locks the axles together? Do you know that they don't hold more than about 200whp? Do you know that even at any power level, about half of them appear to fail completely?

Lastly, do you know that the definition of "phantom" in The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition is:
adj.: Fictitious; nonexistent: Ex. phantom employees on the payroll.

I just saved you $300.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I would pay money NOT to have a Phantom Grip installed in my tranny. But yet my next mod is $800 towards a Quaife LSD. That should say something.

·
Premium Member
18,247 Posts
i got my laugh for today...thanks haha..

getting the phantom lsd is like....welding the axles together.

a REAL lsd actually transfers power back and forth between the two tires.

what's with the LSD threads in the forum? i suppose it's like the final drive threads of yesteryear on HT haha

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
CRVTEC0WNZJ00 said:
OBX May have gotten better, but I still think OBX is shit and ebay is hard to trust on alot of things.
i actually read that the OBX diff holds up on H-T. i guess some guy put it in a 500+ whp turboed out car and he had aboslutely no probs and it held all the power, he was impressed.

DUDE...if ure going to get a diff thats great and its an awsome mod. i just recently had a diff installed on my teg and im in LOVE with it. its on OEM diff that came off of a type R and im very impressed with it. if u dont want to dish out money for a top of the line diff like quiafe or ATS then an OEM diff is ur next best bet. phantom grip is USELESS and a complete waste of mone IMO.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
The Type R LSD requires some other parts - ring pinion and final drive among them - to work with the LS tranny. By the time you've bought all those parts, you're getting pretty close to the cost of a Quaife, which is built like a tank and comes with a lifetime warranty - including racing.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I had a friend who had a Phantom Grip in his all-motor Teg. He broke 3 axles (one daily driving, and 2 at the track) before he pulled it and upgraded to an ITR lsd.

You can get an ITR lsd for about 300-400. That'a money well spent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.