Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10,424 Posts
If you got the CR/Vtec built right with nothing stock in the head and aftermarket pistons. I have heard people hitting the 10g RPM line. But this is rare because there is a valve clearing problems with CR/Vtec’s. With stoke internals I would not go past 7500 or 8000. As far as the tranny goes. If it rev high go with the LS if it don’t rev high go with a GSR.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but I can still mount a b16 head onto a b20 block stock right? I just cant get high compression pistons because of the valve clearance. Is that right? does the b18c head have a valve clearance problem too? Is there any advantage in having a b18c head over a b16 head. I heard that b16 can rev higher than b18c but I wasn't too sure about that.

· Registered
10,424 Posts
You will have the prob with any Vtec head. It has to do with the valve being bigger or something like that, and the pistons on the B20 come up higher. I am not real sure, I know I read it someplace and this is what I remember. So just don’t hold it against me if I am a bit wrong

· Registered
10,424 Posts
And its me again this is from CRVtec.com

What can I do to avoid B16a valve clearance problems with OEM pistons?

I don't know if the valve float problem can really be addressed no matter what pistons you use. If the springs can't control the valves they will always end up hitting something.

I did a test last night using clay to check the actual clearance between the bottom of the valve and the floor of the valve pocket, at 4 degrees intake cam advance (ITR cams), and there was 0.180 clearance.

it's just that the intake piston pockets are not big enough in diameter for the B16 size valve head to clear. A really easy solution would be to shave a larger radius in the pocket. That can be done fairly easily as the aluminum piston is soft enough that a sharp scribing tool could do it. That's what I plan to do. There is plenty of material in the piston crown to do it safely.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info, but I was wondering would this setup be much better than just a b18c engine? Also how can I convert a hydro tranny into a cable, because the CRX is cable and the GSR is hydro. Or where can I get a good cable tranny?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.