Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some opinions about clutches. I have a racing clutch in my civic... it came with the car, dont know what it is exactly but the damn car LAUNCHES when i let go of the clutch. It is sort of annoying at times.

Thanks in advance SHO!:clappy

·
Registered
126 Posts
my favorite clutch is act i learned on it raced the shit out of it for three years and its been in my friends car for the last year still holding strong

act stage 2 clutch and pressure plate and act 8lb flywheel

ya dig

·
.Black.on.Black.
11,218 Posts
exedy stage 2, xact streetlite.

good clutch. could have more bite. but its perfect for a DD.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
exedy stage 2, xact streetlite.

good clutch. could have more bite. but its perfect for a DD.
I drove the exedy organic racing clutch with an act x-act streetlite for about 2yrs. Loved it... Great combo for street/roadcourse use.

A friend of mine drove my car and loved it so much that he bought the same combo for his miata.

I bought an exedy for my new motor and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So exedy for a DD hmm?

Is the clutch pretty stiff after its been broken in? and what exactly do the stages indicate?

HOpe these dont sound like dumb questions. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
you can't compare stages between different clutch manufacturers. Exedy offers 3 clutches :

- Stock Replacement
- Organic Racing
- Cerametallic

The organic racing is still a full face organic clutch with smooth engagement. The pedal is noticeably stiffer than stock, but I never had an issue with it except when in bumper to bumper 5 o'clock traffic. Constant on/off will give your leg a workout.

This clutch is excellent for street/auto-x/roadcourse. The only need for the super stiff clutches is for people who drag race and dump their clutches.

FYI, exedy is the race division of daikin. daikin makes most oem clutches for import cars... honda, toyota, nissan, etc.

·
.Black.on.Black.
11,218 Posts
So exedy for a DD hmm?

Is the clutch pretty stiff after its been broken in? and what exactly do the stages indicate?

HOpe these dont sound like dumb questions. Thanks.

worst thing about getting a clutch is breaking it in... i drove like an old lady for a week or so just to make sure i broke it in nice... but its been over a year now with my organic. and like kommon said its perfect for DD. engages nicly dont feel sloppy like some cars i have drove.

·
Registered
144 Posts
basically the higher the stage, the more the clutch can handle, meaning the bigger the engine performance , etc. anything more than stage 1 isn't recommened for a DD anyways

exedy is good, go with that.

·
.Black.on.Black.
11,218 Posts
i forget where i got mine from... it was a long time ago... i know i got a good deal on it... but then border costs bent me over :idiots:

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
I've had good luck with ACT and Centerforce. As far as picking one you need to know your torque goal (clutches are rated by torque not HP) and then choose the right clutch for the application.
Also stage 3 from Exedy is not the same as stage 3 from ACT, so make sure you research before you buy.

·
.Black.on.Black.
11,218 Posts
I've had good luck with ACT and Centerforce. As far as picking one you need to know your torque goal (clutches are rated by torque not HP) and then choose the right clutch for the application.
Also stage 3 from Exedy is not the same as stage 3 from ACT, so make sure you research before you buy.
mmmhmmm... read read read. and know what your gettin into. flywheels are a bit easier to understand... but a clutch is not a clutch.:number1

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the input guys! I've decided to go with the Organic from exedy with the streetlite, i've done the research and from what taylomade and kommon speak of, it sounds promising. :number1

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
I bought and used a xtd stage 2 clutch (more like stage 1 imo) and the coresponding 7.5# flywheel. Worked great for about a year and a half, that flywheel is too light for an underpowered single cam but after about a year and a half I somehow managed to get a spring chucked from the face of the clutch....which made shifting a real bitch as the spring was floating around in the trans...otherwise 256.00 well spent.

·
Registered
32 Posts
stick with the stock flywheel...dont go lightweight if its gonna be a daily driver...you lose alot of torque and you will go through axles alot quicker...had a exedy stage 1 and exedy flywheel and hated it so much i put the stock one back in and am much happier now...

·
Registered
32 Posts
ive delivered food in my car with the exedy stage 1 for the past 2 years and never had a complaint til this past month when I think one of the springs popped out of place and rattles like a mother now...but im still getting the same exact clutch again... not too stiff...has good bite for daily driving (although it could have more)...overall good clutch

1 - 20 of 20 Posts