Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Civic DX Hatch Back with a 96 GSR B18C1 swap and a Tanabe Racing Medalion Full Cat Back Exhaust. I just want to know what header will have the best chances of bolting up to the factory catalitic converter. I figgure that it would either be 96 VTEC GSR B18C1, or the 99 VTEC Civic SI Header...But it may very well be something that would fit. And I am almost sure that all B series exhaust headers bolt up to the engine with no problem. let me know what everyone else has done.

·
Registered
101 Posts
For my H22 I went to the exjaust shop and they matched the cat flange to my prelude header....a little welding and bending and fits perfect....cheap too.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
H22AllMotor said:
For my H22 I went to the exjaust shop and they matched the cat flange to my prelude header....a little welding and bending and fits perfect....cheap too.
doing this is there any loss in performance?

for header chose you cant go wrong with the JDM Type R header :p

·
Registered
101 Posts
No, I went to 2.5" pipe after the header union so the restriction was the header piping itself....that was the smallest diameter tubing in the system.

·
Registered
623 Posts
the restriction can really affect top end. I ran my car opne headers for about a month..and when i finally bolted it all up i noticed a loos of power. My cat was really restricting, and after a while my cat started making this raspy buzzing noise. Now im just waiting on the cash flow to get a new cat.

If the stock GSR headers bolt up w/ ur piping...then i would get headers for a GSR. I also suggest getting the cat gutted or get a car w/ a bigger opening. I got thr RM also and it does bolt up to the stock cat, but the diameter of the RM piping is much bigger than the cat.

Also if u get the JDM 4-1 header, watch out with how low ur car is. Most people that i have seen using that header on a hybrid have scraped it or dented it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
To answer your original question I beleive you want the GS-R header BUT if this doesn't fit for some reason you can order custom sized cats(I beleive landspeed racing has them) or have your local muffler shop make you one, however I would NOT suggest hollowing your cat, its not a big deal, but like we've said before w/ larger piping, exhaust pulses that are not large enough to fill the gap will just bounce around in the pipe and this is what will occur in a hollowed cat so basically you see little or no gain, what would be better is to either get a generic straight cat, test pipe, or just bolt on some straight piping the same size as your existing piping. Another thing to remember in exhausts, is gradually increasing the diameter of the pipe anywhere from the header to the tip WILL increase horsepower, but a bottle neck anywhere will hurt horsepower, so make sure that the size of the piping is either staying the same or going up in size

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks alot for all the reply everybody. Just incase anybody was wondering I have hollowed the cat (where I live we don't have emissions restrictions testing) so if i have to i can just replace the cat with a pipe or just do a hack job on the cat. I think I will just go with the GSR Header. Once again thanks for the answers.

·
Registered
506 Posts
yeah where I live we don't have to worry about emissions either, and my friend has hollowed his cat but I told him and I'll tell you again, its a lot better for performance to have a straight pipe there, and surprisingly a CARB legal straight cat is better then a hollowed stock cat for performance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts