Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$410 is the amount of money.

I guess I really should have made this a pole, but it would have kinda limited the responses in a way so here is the question.

I have $410 and my car is preatty much stock except for the d16a6 I swapped in, the SRI and the 15" rims. So here is a list of things I've considered

*save some more
*Bilstien HD's then save for some springs do drop my car 2"
*buy a z6 head and attemp a mini-me
*get a front end alignment (and get back my gas milage and stop the tire ware)
*get some of the dents out of my car.
*get a better battery and alternator
*redo my grounds
*taco-bell for the next couple of months
*come on superhonda where everybody has an opinion about something.

so what do you think?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Buy my suspension setup that I have sitting in my garage. I was going to put it all in my CRX but she's sold now.

I have Tokico Blue Struts (for the 89-91 models) with Eibach Sportline Springs (both are used but in great condition). I also have brand new '88 rear Tokico Blues b/c they were different.

$350 shipped--let me know...

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you guys for the input. I may look into that set-up, its only I have a 90 so the 88 rear suspension would be different. Plus I'm looking to drop down 2", and from what I've heard, tokico HP's can't really handle a 2" drop for too long.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just to clarify...I have all 4 Tokico Blues for the 89-91 models PLUS just the rears for an '88...

But cool, whatever you do GOOD LUCK :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
by god.... dont get the blues, i put those on my rex and slammed it.... went down the street, hit a bump and my f-in head hit the sunroof... now i have to save up again for the illuminas :(

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
slocookedrice said:
by god.... dont get the blues, i put those on my rex and slammed it.... went down the street, hit a bump and my f-in head hit the sunroof... now i have to save up again for the illuminas :(
see thats why I'm kinda of iffy about getting the toki blues. I keep hearing stories like this, but I hear nothing but good things about the beilstiens.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
get the Bilsteins w the H&R Springs. Sickest setup ever IMO My friend had this setup on his GTI VR6 and it handled AMAZING

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have the bilsteins w/ the H&R Race springs and IMO I think its kinda bouncy. It does handle great but I dont like how bouncy it is. My friend has a rex with the Tein SS setup and it rides a lot nicer and handles better too. The bilsteins are REALLY tough shocks, Ive put them through a lot. I think you can get the Tein SS setup on ebay now for $900, so my suggestion is get the alignment and then save some more for the Tein's.

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
My buddy had Blues on his Rex, which I now own since his Rex is dead. I think the Blues held up really good, and I'm glad I bought them off of him. They respond really well, and taking a residential yield at 60-70km/h feels really wicked, gotta love those gees!

·
Registered
303 Posts
XLR8 said:
My buddy had Blues on his Rex, which I now own since his Rex is dead. I think the Blues held up really good, and I'm glad I bought them off of him. They respond really well, and taking a residential yield at 60-70km/h feels really wicked, gotta love those gees!
My setup is still for sale (hint hint hint) :hug

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
$410 is not a lot of money but you could get something going.
before you start modifing get the maintenace work done first. your aftermarket suspension will be useless if you cant drive your car because the alternator took a shit or the battery is dead.
here's what i would do if i were in your position.

1. get a new alternator and battery.
2. redo all the grounds.
3. get an alignment
4. start saving money for suspension mods
5. springs and shocks/struts (at the same time in order to save time/money)
6. get an alignment shortly after installing the suspension.

yes it sounds stoopid to have an alignment done now and then have it done again after you have the suspension installed. if you plan on doing the suspension fairly soon (couple of weeks) then you could hold off on the alignment. but remember that if the toe settings are bad your tires are gonna wear out very quick.

·
Registered
303 Posts
XLR8 said:
^ Already bought them, sorry :p
That's cool but I was talkin to Moon Ill...

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
$410 is not a lot of money but you could get something going.
before you start modifing get the maintenace work done first. your aftermarket suspension will be useless if you cant drive your car because the alternator took a shit or the battery is dead.
here's what i would do if i were in your position.

1. get a new alternator and battery.
2. redo all the grounds.
3. get an alignment
4. start saving money for suspension mods
5. springs and shocks/struts (at the same time in order to save time/money)
6. get an alignment shortly after installing the suspension.

yes it sounds stoopid to have an alignment done now and then have it done again after you have the suspension installed. if you plan on doing the suspension fairly soon (couple of weeks) then you could hold off on the alignment. but remember that if the toe settings are bad your tires are gonna wear out very quick.
Yea, thats a good point. I was actually thinking about getting a battery with sidemount post to avoid the whole srai to postive battery thing, havn't really put much thought into that though. If I got the alignment I would go ahead and pay $120 to get the Firestone Life-time alignment thing.

Seriously though, my alt IS getting weak, and my battery isn't any better, so I guess I will do that. Does anybody know where I can get on of those 135amp alts? I saw it in the Honda Tuning with the red JDM coversion/Mini-me on the front.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh I also have a pair of 88 Si seats that need to be redone. The cheapest I've been quoted for that job is $450 though.

edit:
post 1600

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
HtHonda01 said:
He quoted your good recomendation. Get it?
I do now that I'm not stoned. I gotta quit coming to SHO when I'm like that :lol

Another thing, getting good coilovers will make a really big difference with the ride feeling. H&R is good, my friend has them in his Teg. I have Tom's Racing coils, they're pretty good, but kinda bumpy. Not a big deal to me, I like to be able to feel the road. Tein basics would be awesome, but kind of expensive, and they're just springs, not coils.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts