Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
just run 91-93 and stfu. my car runs like shit on 87.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
scottigee said:
wow... no offense dude but these are incorrect and ignorant statements, respectively.

Here we go....
In the compression stroke the sparkplug fires a set number of degrees of crank rotation before top dead center (TDC). This happens as the pressure within the cylinder is rising, and after ignition the pressure heads quickly to its maximum. Cylinder pressure peaks several degrees after TDC which means the piston is already on its way back down the cylinder at peak pressure. Imagine that curve. (I'll post a graph)
Using a lower octane gas shifts the curve to the left because peak cylinder pressure is acheived earlier in the power stroke. The majority of the work in the power stroke occurs between TDC and when your exhaust valve opens (the rest of the work happens between firing and TDC, but that is minimal)
So when you shift the curve to the left you reduce the area under the curve post TDC, which is where all your power is. Also, consider it as decreased relative pressure as the volume of the cylinder is increasing, which basically means that gas is just filling the space the pistion leaves behind, rather than forcing it back down.

A knock sensor looks for earlier peak pressures and retards the ignition timing accordingly. Your ECU wants the mixture to mount pressure later to get the 87 pressure curve closer to the curve for 91. That's theory....realistically every ignition system is advanced as far as possible to match its other components and that becomes the upper limit of the range of octanes your engine can handle. That is why putting 91 in your CRX HF gets you jack dick, other than closing the gap between what the gas station sells you (85ish) and what 87 really would be.
Then depending on the ignition system's spark distribution system (spring, vaccuum, oil line...) there are limits to how much ignition retardation your system can do. So it will retard timing within a range, and that becomes the range of octanes you can use without pinging.

That said I am tempted to believe that Honda would give us at least an 87 to 91 range...but that is untested as by me.
Short story long - I think you can use 87, but despite all my blathering, I don't know.

EDIT - your best bet is to empty your tank and put a gallon of 87 in to test it. If it pings, fill her up with 91. If you just lose power then that means 87 is within your engine's ability to retard timing.
:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

~Peace

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Good job ScottieGee :D

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I happened to look in my 98 Prelude's owners manual. (Imagine that)
I found a paragraph that says something to the effect:

use 91 octane gas but if you can't find 91 then a lower octane gas is permissable. The computer will automatically adjust for the decrease in octane and you will notice a small decrease in hp.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
esp4p3 said:
I happened to look in my 98 Prelude's owners manual. (Imagine that)
I found a paragraph that says something to the effect:

use 91 octane gas but if you can't find 91 then a lower octane gas is permissable. The computer will automatically adjust for the decrease in octane and you will notice a small decrease in hp.
And there you have it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
is there not one place in all of california where you can get gas above 91 octane? It seems stupid that we pay more than anyone else and get shittier grade gas... I need to move

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
there are lots of places (well, not LOTS, but a few). Sunoco sells 94 on occasion, and there's a 76 in the SF Valley that sells 97. Then there's always the track stations for 104.

But you're right....we pay way too much for 91 when others get 93 for cheap.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
ludejohnny said:
is there not one place in all of california where you can get gas above 91 octane? It seems stupid that we pay more than anyone else and get shittier grade gas... I need to move
But getting anything above 91 wouldn't benefit our engines anyways. But it would be nice to pay less for 91 in southern cal. Damn everything is more expensive here.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Scottigee - Let me congratulate you on you "Black Moon Ninja" status

edit: Hey you wanna make out? :D

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
scottigee said:
MODERATOR - please move to the "******" forum
You must be looking for the "CIVIC" forum. :hehe

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Ok guys

I tested out putting 87 octane in my tank. I waited until it was on empty and filled it up. Immediately, I noticed a difference. The engine was louder and it ran like shit. I think it was because the timing adjusted for the lower octane. The acceleration suffered a bit. But my girlfriend even noticed the difference. So I wasn't imagining it. I even noticed a slight knock when I was backing up to park on a hill.

So the conclusion, it won't hurt the engine but it runs like crap.

Reactions: Lovemy2000lude

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Nice, thanks for taking one for the team John.

I'd venture to say though that it may depend on the gas you got, and the car you try it on. Your shit's pretty old dude :D (j/k - I'll hit 90k on the way to work tomorrow)

So get your ass back to the gas station and feed Abigail some of the good stuff!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any people who own 4th or 5th gen ludes that have consistenly used 87 octane gas? And what did you notice? Was there a knock? Or a reduction in mpg or hp? Any engine damage?

I am very curious because I am having a heated debate about this very subject with a co-worker. He says that I am getting taken by buying 91 even though I told him the prelude says 91 only. He says that his mercedes says the same thing and he uses 87 and his car has never knocked or anything. I tried to tell him that with a higher compression ratio you need a higher octane to prevent knocking. He says that may be true for a race car but not for my car. I am convinced that he is damaging his car over time but he says he uses 87 all the time.

Does anyone have some technical documents that back this arguement up? I would love to show him something.
I own a 5th gen. just rebuilt it back basically stock. The only difference is i put farrea 5000 flat head valves in the head. The guy i bought it from almost ruined the whole entire engine but i managed to save it. But when i first filled the car up i used regular not realizing it took 93 only. It does ping and it has my timing 42 degrees advanced so it lacks major power if you try to really get in it and it has alittle hesitation but if you just granny shift it and ride it like a normal car without using vtec it seems to do ok. It does drink the gas pretty quick and threw an o2 b1 sensor code

21 - 34 of 34 Posts